Welding in AZ, NM - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 01-11-2019, 11:00 AM   #1

Name: Nick
Trailer: scamp
California
Welding in AZ, NM

I am looking to find a welding shop to do a small extension on my rear bumper and create a spare tire frame. I am leaving SOCAL in the next few days hoping to get these jobs done along the way. It would be nice to find someone with a lot of experience with trailer chassis’s. My rig is a ‘16 Scamp 13’.
Any insight would be appreciated.

Thank you

Nick J
Nick J is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2019, 11:48 AM   #2

Name: Bruce & Kathryn
Trailer: Bigfoot 25 RQ
North Carolina
I am in NC, so cannot help with recommendation, but as a shade tree welder I encourage you to have as firm an idea as possible of exactly what you want. If you cannot draw, pictures of something similar would help. In addition, anything special such as tire mounting bracket that you might incorporate would be good to bring along. If that part is galvinized, be aware some guys might not want to weld it. Also, you know your frame better than anyone, so think ahead of the best place to attach. The simpler and stronger the better. My 2 cents and YMMV.
Bruce Olive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2019, 01:07 PM   #3

Trailer: Scamp 16 ft Side Dinette
Bumper extension

I just tossed out a bunch of old SOI Newsletters. In them were a few ideas for rear bumper extensions. One was just a wood block bolted on.
Any welding on the frame should start with grinding off paint and rust to get proper weld penetration.
Are you just trying to protect the spare tire?
Wayne Collins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2019, 10:57 PM   #4

Trailer: No Trailer Yet (want 13 ft fiber glass
Registry
Nick, if you are going to be in Mesa AZ, then go to Cliff’s welding.
Dave & Paula
David B. is offline   Reply With Quote