what are easy ways to splice wireing - Page 2 - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 12-07-2009, 04:38 PM   #21

Trailer: 2005 17 ft Casita Freedom Deluxe
Send a message via Yahoo to Al V
i am with you Mike the posi tap is the cats meow http://www.posi-lock.com/posiplug.html
i have been using them for a few years now no problems at all with them
Al V is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2009, 10:47 PM   #22

Trailer: 2009 Trillium 13 ft ('Homelet') / 2000 Subaru Outback
Registry
Talking

Quote:
I'm not sure if this is really a valid criticism of any soldered joint, or just over-soldered joints.

When a stranded wire is soldered, solder is drawn up the wire (ie, away from the joint) by capillary action. Enthusiastic solderers are inclined to think that plenty of solder must be better than a little solder and so they get wires that rigid for an inch or two either side of a joint. I believe it is this sort of joint that is susceptible to vibration.

Andrew

I think that is the case, but it baffles me how this is any different from a connector hanging on a wire.

Whether you think you can or think you can't, you're right.
Roger C H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2009, 04:52 PM   #23

Trailer: 13 ft Scamp Deluxe 2007 and 40' Allegro Bus
Send a message via AIM to RSchleder Send a message via Yahoo to RSchleder
Another strong vote for POSI-LOCKS. They are top quality, use them and forget them!
Old 01-13-2010, 12:50 PM   #24

Trailer: 1973 Boler (Boler Manufacturing
Quote:
I'll be wiring up the whole trailer shortly, and wondered what people use to splice the wiring runs. For one or two splices, I usually solder the wires and tape them, but I'll be doing a bunch of this and was trying to see what else might be effective. I just read about Scotch locks, but I'm unsure if these work on stranded wires (should I use stranded wiring in the trailer?). I've wired up my house, but I just used the standard twist caps and I didn't think these should be used.
I have had trouble with every sort of connection except a good quality solder and correctly sized heat shrink tubing. If you get set up right it is just as quick as crimp connectors. Get a soldering gun like a 100/140 watt weller, a pencil iron is not suited to wire splicing, and of course use good quality electronic rosin core solder. The best part about solder joints is they are really cheap, if you use scotch locks or posi locks it can get expensive really quick. Wire nuts should never be used in this type of application. Most are not designed for use with stranded wire, they loosen with vibration, and they end up making very bulky and messy connections. Also when you use heat shrink tubing make sure you heat it with a heat gun and not the flame from a lighter, that burns the plastic and it can expose the connection.
John Jesse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2010, 06:05 PM   #25

Trailer: 2002 19 ft Scamp 19 ft 5th Wheel
Send a message via Yahoo to Darwin Maring
MILSPEC: Never solder AC wiring. Never "TIN" AC wiring.

I have soldered the DC wiring on the running lights using a "Western Union" splice then solder then heat shrink.

I posted the following in the fuse size discussion concerning inside the camper wiring. Note: The TopHat crimp connector can be used for both AC and DC.
-----------------------------------------------------------------------

Wire Nuts:
Using the proper wire nut and taping it to the wire once it has been twisted properly should remain serviceable without any problems however if you really want to do it right, there is a crimp connector that looks like a top hat where you insert both wires in one end and then crimp the other end and everything is contained inside the connector. The connectors are semi transparent with a copper crimp ring inside. Go to the Home Depot or Lowes and look for them in the electrical department. (See Site Below)

The rule for crimping is:
Crimp once. You never make a second crimp because the second crimp may loosen up the first crimp.

Crimp Tool:
The BEST crimp tool is a Ratcheting Crimping Tool, one that must be squeezed all the way down before it will release. (See Site Below)

WHY:
Because using a cheep tool that does not ratchet may not crimp all the way and you may loosen your grip and the tool may move and you wind up with a less than perfect crimp.

The Crimp Tool
http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/ctaf/disp...temnumber=97420

The Crimp Connector:
http://www.idealindustries.com/prodDetail....insulated_ideal

Darwin Maring is offline   Reply With Quote