What are the axle dimension on a 16' Scamp - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 01-27-2014, 01:47 PM   #1

Name: Julian
Trailer: 16' Scamp
British Columbia
What are the axle dimension on a 16' Scamp

Hi all,

I need to replace the torsion axle of my 1987 16' Scamp.
I've been researching and can't find the specs:

what should be the distance between the frame mounts
what should be the distance between hubfaces

Any information will be appreciated, including info where to find cheaper replacement axle. I see some overstock on eBay, but not the right size I think...
JulianK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2014, 02:02 PM   #2

Trailer: 92 16 ft Scamp
Registry
Scamp uses Torflex Dexter axle - give them a call on their 1-800 number and ask what the specs on the one they are using today is - it may be a bit beefier than the original. Pretty sure they now use a 3500lb axels (which is a good thing) which I think has a different lug pattern than the older axles - which means if you upgrade your axle you may also need to upgrade your wheels depending on whats on there now.

Don't know where you are in BC but Escape Trailer Industries does axle replacements for all brands of fiberglass trailers and reported by those who have used them to be good and fast at it and at prices not found elsewhere.
Carol H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2014, 02:07 PM   #3

Name: Sergey
Trailer: 2014 Scamp 16 layout 4, 2018 Winnebago Revel 4x4
SW Florida
Just get a measure tape and do the measure... You might need to remove wheels to measure the distance between hubfaces.
Old 01-27-2014, 03:07 PM   #4

British Columbia
OK, I talked to Scamp and this is what they gave me for the 16' Scamp:

- internal distance between mount brackets: 45 3/4"
- Faceplate to faceplate: 63"

This is to help anyone who may have the same question in the future.
They also said that they'd charge $200 for shipping a replacement axle to the West Coast.
Old 01-27-2014, 03:50 PM   #5

Name: Francesca Knowles
Trailer: '78 Trillium 4500
Jefferson County, Washington State, U.S.A.
Registry
Have you priced a replacement axle locally, Julian? I ask because it's been my experience that local autoparts stores are often very competitive with online retailers, price-wise.

There's also a certain advantage in dealing locally, since one can take the trailer in and have the store do the measurements (thus insuring that if whatever you get doesn't fit, it can go back for replacement at no extra cost to you.)
Francesca Knowles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2014, 04:25 PM   #6

British Columbia
Yes, I have:

A local store in Langley BC quoted $598 for a #10 Dexter, complete with brakes. A store across the border (in Bellingham, WA) quoted $450 for the same.

Escape industries in Abbotsford told me they only replace, do not sell the axles. A replacement would be around $900. For me personally that is out of reach. I can replace the axle myself.

I see axles on eBay (new overstock with some surface rust) for about $200 plus $82 for shipping. Unfortunately non are exactly the size I need. The guy at Escape suggested that it is possible to cut an axle in the middle to make it shorter, but that is too much work and may damage the axle - not worth to save $150. I may order from Bellingham if I don't find cheaper.
Old 01-27-2014, 04:55 PM   #7

Name: RogerDat
Trailer: 2010 Scamp 16
Michigan
+1 on ordering from someplace that will measure, Scamp may not have changed much but axle mounts and brackets from Dexter may well have changed since 1987. Or you may need to specify a mount that matches the model that you have.

E.G my original scamp axle was welded to a curve at the bottom of the bracket, new axle is welded to a hole through the center of the bracket. So axle sits about 1.5 inches closer to floor, it's OK because I have more down angle than axle originally had tire center is in same location.

I think you are right to reject cutting and welding an axle to shorten, heat (even at center) could damage the rubber torsion components, not to mention last place I would want a weld is the center of a span under stress.
RogerDat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2014, 07:13 PM   #8

Trailer: 92 16 ft Scamp
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by JulianK View Post
Yes, I have:
I see axles on eBay (new overstock with some surface rust) for about $200 plus $82 for shipping. Unfortunately non are exactly the size I need. The guy at Escape suggested that it is possible to cut an axle in the middle to make it shorter, but that is too much work and may damage the axle - not worth to save $150. I may order from Bellingham if I don't find cheaper.
I would just pull it down to Bellingham and have them measure it up for you before you order.
Carol H is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
axle, scamp