What are your walls made of??? - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 02-06-2007, 11:59 PM   #1

Trailer: 1990 Bigfoot
My bigfoot has the fiberglass exterior, then small 'studs' with plywood stapled on, then covered with wallboard.

I know that the Scamps have the fiberglass exterior with the 'rat fur' on it... what about the casita, boler, burro, etc???
Andrea in Oregon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2007, 12:05 AM   #2

Trailer: Former Burro owner and fan!
Registry
Burro walls are part of a completely molded interior shell. So, they are fiberglass.
Gina D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2007, 04:50 AM   #3

Trailer: Boler 13 ft
My Lady-bug, a 1980 13 ft Boler has the outer skin of Fiberglass then inside a 3/16 layer of a space age (invented for space travel) foam insulating material called Ensolite that has a dark back and a white, bumpy, vinyl type of facing which is easy to keep clean.
Gerry
Gerry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2007, 06:04 AM   #4

Trailer: 95 Casita Spirit Deluxe 16 ft
Our 95 Casita SD has a short gray foambacked carpet.. Warm & toasty...Bluebeard
Click image for larger version

Name:	Dscn0004.jpg
Views:	70
Size:	38.1 KB
ID:	6345
kconley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2007, 06:50 AM   #5

Trailer: 2007 19 ft Escape 5.0 / 2002 GMC (1973 Boler project)
Registry
Send a message via Yahoo to Alf S.
Hi: Our '77 Boler's walls are covered with MONEY...lots and lots of money and I am still spending more... Love is BLIND they say!!!
Alf S. North shore of Lake Erie
Alf S. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2007, 06:50 AM   #6

Trailer: U-Haul
my U-haul is fiberglass outside and inside, just a wipe and its clean.
Terry G. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2007, 09:25 AM   #7

Trailer: Boler 1984

Click image for larger version

Name:	PICT0002_2.jpg
Views:	77
Size:	46.7 KB
ID:	6348

We have an '84 13 ft Boler. These are a single wall FG. The later models made in the 80's have a type of upholstery material on the inside. We'venever had a problem with it, I use the shop vac on it each spring and it still looks good. They used the same seam tape as in other FG's and hid the electrical behind it. Seems to have the same insulating value as the ensolite.
james kent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2007, 11:19 AM   #8

Trailer: 1973 Compact Jr and 1980 Bigfoot 17 ft
Registry
Send a message via AIM to Tom Trostel Send a message via MSN to Tom Trostel
My Compact Jr. has a factory original wall covering that consists of ivory colored vinyl that is sown to open-cell foam. The stitching forms a diamond pattern. This is glued to the fiberglass. I've seen photos of many Compacts that have bare fiberglass walls. Don't know if mine was an option or the others have removed theirs.

Tom Trostel

http://albums.photo.epson.com/j/ViewPhoto?...&p=73836963
Old 02-07-2007, 01:22 PM   #9

Trailer: Boler (B1700RGH) 1979
My Boler 1700 has vinyl-faced soft foam lining, glued directly to the fiberglass shell.

Some relevant recent discussion threads...
Black Foam Lining in Scamp, What is this stuff?
Interior covering -- Surfside
Allergies and wall coverings
Scamp Elephant Hide
Is it common?

The Bigfoot framing and rigid paneling is unusual for moulded fiberglass trailers, although I believe the Biggar had this system as well.
Brian B-P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2007, 01:30 PM   #10

Trailer: 1986 U-Haul CT13 ft
Burros and UHauls have an inner shell with a smooth gelcoat surface that is bright and easy to clean. The inner shell has molded-in storage, kitchen counter and cabinets which contribute to the structural strength of the outer shell. There are no through-rivets to work loose and cause leakage.
jack maloney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2007, 01:48 PM   #11

Trailer: 13 ft U-Haul
Quote:
Burros and UHauls have an inner shell with a smooth gelcoat surface that is bright and easy to clean. The inner shell has molded-in storage, kitchen counter and cabinets which contribute to the structural strength of the outer shell. There are no through-rivets to work loose and cause leakage.
Well, there's still the seams in the ceiling (under the carpet) that can seperate.

My U-Haul has the top fiberglass section seperating from the wall section and needs to be re-glued and sealed. Water has probably leaked in because of it, but I'm not sure because I just bought it and it's in storage for the winter.
Buck62 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2007, 03:06 PM   #12

Trailer: Scamp 16 ft Side Dinette
Unhappy

Scamps have a alumium foil bubble wrap insulation glued to the inside fiberglass with a almost fuzzy fabric glued onto the foil, seems alot of the Scamp owners call it "rat fur", it is a greyish color. I am sure it all has a name but I can't remember one for them. Ditto for the ceilings. With some of the inner walls, just fiberglass with gel coat finish or if both sides are showig, as in the shower/tolet area, with some kind of lightly textured finish, not sure how it is applied.

It seems to keep it warm if cold out or cool if it is hot out.
2009 White Ford F-150 Reg. Cab Longbed ARE Topper
Adrian W is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2007, 03:22 PM   #13

Trailer: Escape 17 ft 2006 / 2005 Honda Pilot
Registry
The Escape is lined with "Fire rated, durable, soft-touch vinyl with 3/8" foam backing". It's off-white, easy to clean and soft (a plus after I trip over a hound and fall into a wall!). Seems to keep the inside pretty well insulated too.
Anne H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2007, 06:47 PM   #14

Trailer: Fiber Stream 1978 / Honda Odyssey LX 2003
Registry
Send a message via AIM to Frederick L. Simson
Talking

Quote:
I've seen photos of many Compacts that have bare fiberglass walls.
My Compact Junior had painted bare fiberglass walls when I bought it. It was a "mustard" shade of sort of yellow... I glued up 1 layer of reflectix and papered over that with blue & white oilcloth.

My 1978 Fiber Stream has bare fiberglass walls, painted an off white inside. I actually like the simplicity of it, since several screws through the hull leaked when I bought it. No damaged interior material to rip out. Only one small wood panel over the refridgerator to replace.