what Awning and rail for 13 ft Scamp is needed? - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-06-2012, 07:28 AM   #1

Name: Suzi
Trailer: 13 ft Scamp
Indiana
what Awning and rail for 13 ft Scamp is needed?

I am a new owner of a 1979 13ft Scamp. I just finished revamping the inside of my wonderful little trailer, and now have turned my focus to the outside. This camper does not have an awning and I would really like one. Any suggestions on what kind of rail works the best? I found a internet store that sells vintage style awnings and aluminum 4' & 8' rails (vintagetrailersupply.com). But I don't know what I need or if any of this will work. HELP
suzi etchison is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2012, 07:43 AM   #2

Trailer: 1972 Boler American and 1979 Trillium 4500
Hi Suzi,

Awning rails are a stock item at most RV shops. They come in 2 sizes so get the one to match your awning. They also come in different colours (aluminum and white).
Some people are attaching them with VHB tape rather than rivets. Search here for awnings and tracks before making a decision. The 4' are meant to easily ship, the 8' is standard, they come longer.

Somewhere here there is a thread that shows pictures of various awning lengths, brands and tracks on our trailers. Sorry I don't have any time left this morning to search for you.
Roy in TO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2012, 05:20 PM   #3

Indiana
Thank you so much Roy for your quick response. I like the idea of using the VHB tape instead of poking more holes in the trailer.
Old 09-06-2012, 06:07 PM   #4

Name: Diane
Trailer: Casita, previously u-haul ct13
Virginia
Suzi, please get an awning rail to fit the size of your awning. I made the mistake of buying an awning that is a little two long for my rail. It doesn't work too good.
At most RV service centers you can have one cut to match your size. I had one cut to an 8 ft but I will need to have it cut down further to fit the trailer, maybe 7.5 feet. I also have a 13 ft. trailer. The width of the awning is a little smaller than the size you buy, kind of like a tarp. I only paid $12.00 for the new rail. not an expensive item. Good luck.
D Davis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2012, 10:03 AM   #5

Name: Linda
Trailer: Burro 13'. 1982
Montana
What is VHB tape???
Lfoxmont is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2012, 10:51 AM   #6

Trailer: U-Haul 1985
Registry
Marti's custom awnings, made mine and has also made many for a vintage trailer group that I belong to. If I remember right, mine was $180 for a 7'x8' sunbrella fabric. You can choose any sunbrella fabric, pattern, color and send the fabric specs to her and she'll make the awnign. A lot of choices for skirt styles (scallop, straight, box pleats, etc). HIGHLY recommend her!! Marti's Awnings
Pam Garlow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2012, 11:51 AM   #7

Trailer: 1972 Boler American and 1979 Trillium 4500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lfoxmont View Post
What is VHB tape???
It is a double sided sticky tape made by 3M. I think VHB stands for Very High Bond.

Here is the link to the thread I was thinking about earlier. The measurements give you a good idea of what you need to consider for installing an awning on a 13" Scamp.

http://www.fiberglassrv.com/forums/f...amp-37219.html

I forgot to mention, I think a 7' bag awning is the perfect size for 13' Scamps and bolers because of the curvature. 8' for 13' Trilliums. 9' for 4500's.

Here is a link to Gerry the Canoe Builders awning.
http://s54.photobucket.com/albums/g1...oler%20Awning/
Roy in TO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2012, 10:37 PM   #8

Indiana
Thanks so much! I really appreciate you taking the time to help me out. This is perfect!

Tags
awning, scamp