What can I tow with a 2005 Toyota RAV4? - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-08-2006, 04:57 AM   #1
Julie P.

We've been tent camping and are considering moving up to a small trailer but don't want to incur the expense of trading our 2005 Toyota RAV4 for a bigger SUV or pickup. The manual says its towing capacity is 1500 lbs. A 13' Scamp seems to be the right size to meet that requirement. Is anyone out there towing anything with a RAV4? How is it performing? Thanks much...
Old 07-08-2006, 06:59 AM   #2

Trailer: Y2K6 Bigfoot 25 ft (25B25RQ) & Y2K3 Scamp 16 ft Side Dinette
Hi Julie! I'm sure that someone who's towing with a RAV4 will speak up. As you've probably discovered already, the RAV4 probably isn't considered to be THE most competent tow vehicle around, but we've all been in the same situation of having to use what we've got. We have a number of Honda Element owners who are quite happy towing their trailers with their Elements. I'm sure they can give you relevent tips as well.

Most current model 13' trailers weigh in at about 1200 lbs dry (regardless of what the manufacturer's literature says). Loaded, it'll put it right at the top of your limit. There are some things you can do to mitigate that; don't carry water and buy your canned goods when you arrive, for example. There are some older trailers that are a little lighter because they don't have much in the way of appliances or amenities. The older Scamps with just a sink and icebox weigh in right at a thousand pounds. Some of the old Compact IIs, I'm told, also would fall within your weight limits.

Do your research and you'll be able to join the legions of satisfied fiberglass RV owners! When you find that trailer that you just can't live without, be prepared to buy it on the spot, 'cause you likely won't get a chance to come back the next day. These things (especially the really nice ones, and the really light weight ones in good condition) tend to sell to the first person lucky enough to see them.

Roger
Roger H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2006, 10:49 PM   #3

Trailer: Fiber Stream 1982 16 ft
Registry
Julie:

Husky hitch applications (attached link) list the Rav4 as good for only a Class I hitch, limiteed to 2000 pounds trailer weight and 200 pounds tongue weight.

http://www.go-rv.com/coast/do/catalog/page...567&pageNum=747

Victor
Victor Benz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2006, 10:55 PM   #4

Trailer: Former Burro owner and fan!
Registry
I tow with a class one hitch.

My limit is 1500 as well. I do OK with it.

To make a long story short, You will be only slightly limited in WHERE you go and how fast you get there, but for the most part, you should be fine with a 13.
Gina D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2006, 09:00 AM   #5
krazykoral

Yea it will work, we are doing it. We have a 2005 Rav4.
and a Scamp 13Ft. It tows good.There are a few things to
be carefull about. Spare tire and back door. DO NOT try
to open door with trailer on, or hitch on . Ball on hitch will interfere
with door. Also be carefull where you leave the trailer jack crank, It
may hit spare tire. Also you will need the longest hitch insert to get the
tralier back away from the spare tire. I used the toyota hitch. It bolts on easy.
I also used the toyota wireing kit. You will need to wire a 12 Vdc hot lead from Battery.
Next make a interface cable to get the right plugs from the trailer to the car.
Sound like a lot but it,s not.

Dan K.