What do I have? - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-27-2015, 12:34 PM   #1

Name: Shaun
Trailer: Aladdin
Washington
What do I have?

Long time lurker. New member.
I just introduced myself in the "Hi, I am.." section.

Thought I was buying a Boler.
After years of looking at pictures and following threads, the trailer I was destined to bring home was this "Boler"
After getting home and looking at the title I was surprised to find out I had just purchased a 1967 Aladdin. There is a plate riveted to the hitch that has faded greatly but from what I can make out it says Aladdin trailer company of Oregon.
I cannot find any info on a fiberglass trailer made in 1967 by this company.
So what do I have?
Looks like a Boler.
Smells like an old Boler.
I have yet to crawl through every nook and cranny.
As I am new to this forum I may have trouble, like all newbies who have never joined a group, uploading pictures. (yes I have read the instructions)
I will post my plans on reno/resto when I have come up with a plan.
Any help is appreciated.
Shaun
Attached Thumbnails
IMG_1173.JPG   IMG_1399.JPG  

Monkeydo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2015, 01:05 PM   #2

Name: Tim
Trailer: '88 Scamp 16, layout 4
North Florida
A rose by any other name....... I don't know what you have, but now you have it so the adventure begins! I developed a theory on old stuff a long time ago, that when evaluating old stuff the condition of the specific unit you are looking at is more important than the particular brand. I have a swell old David Brown tractor I bought cheap because it was not red (IH, MF), green (JD), orange (AC) or grey/blue (Ford). Note that sometimes my theory does not apply if the firm is still around and still supports their old stuff (with parts, etc.), but who besides Scamp is still in business and still cares?
Timber Wolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2015, 01:21 PM   #3

Trailer: Class A Motorhome
WELL.... It would certainly an important point of pride to an Oregonian that they had a home state FGRV, and about the opposite for a Washingtonian to discover that they were pulling something from, as it's called, "Down There....."

But it sure does look like a Boler. But I would be sure to include the Alladin name in new graphics when done just to baffle the few know-it-alls that might see it on the road. Should be able to win a few bar bets as well......

Bob Miller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2015, 01:34 PM   #4

Trailer: 92 16 ft Scamp
Registry
From Oldtrailer.com it makes no mention in the history section of the Aladdin that they made a fiberglass trailer. and no photos posted of a fiberglass version hummmm wonder if they picked up a Boler and did some customizing on it and resold it under their name...

Edit to add: You might want to check out Aladdin's Facebook page and ask if anyone has ever seen a fibreglass one before.
Carol H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2015, 01:37 PM   #5

Name: Bex
Trailer: Casita
California
Aladdin is an Oregon company that produced trailers, but to my knowledge, they were all "canned ham" style. I've never seen a fiberglass bodied camper from them. I suspect that someone took the badge off another camper and put it on this one.
rebeccasf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2015, 01:40 PM   #6

OMG.....

Quote:
Originally Posted by rebeccasf View Post
Aladdin is an Oregon company that produced trailers, but to my knowledge, they were all "canned ham" style. I've never seen a fiberglass bodied camper from them. I suspect that someone took the badge off another camper and put it on this one.
Hmmmm.... Maybe back in time there is a very dark story about a wrecked Aladdin that was titled and a Boler that wasn't titled.... The plot thickens.

Did anyone find an "Aladdin Owners group? You might call up the peeps at "The Canned Ham Man" in Riverside, CA and they may know something about it or can tell you what your Aladdin I.D. tags came off of.....
Good Luck

Old 04-27-2015, 01:44 PM   #7

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Miller View Post
Hmmmm.... Maybe back in time there is a very dark story about a wrecked Aladdin that was titled and a Boler that wasn't titled.... The plot thickens.

Did anyone find an "Aladdin Owners group? You might call up the peeps at "The Canned Ham Man" in Riverside, CA and they may know something about it or can tell you what your Aladdin I.D. tags came off of.....
Good Luck

Posting the serial number on the trailer might be an interesting thing...

The Tin Can Tourist will know all about them for sure but there is an Aladdin group on Yahoo as well.
Old 04-27-2015, 02:22 PM   #8

Washington
Thanks for the quick responses!
It wont make any difference to the amount of fun I'm going to have on this project but it does seem like a good mystery.
I will check all the references given above.
On the left side of the plate there is "15" stamped in flollowed by a faded printed "SEP" (I assume the month) then these digits 673805
Attached Thumbnails
IMG_1128.JPG  
Old 04-27-2015, 02:41 PM   #9

Registry
The thing is with a plate such as that - it can be added at any time so it may or may not be original to the trailer. If you look on the tongue area of the trailer (assuming that is original) you should be able to find a serial number stamped into it. May be well covered in paint.

What BTW did the seller say they where selling you?
Did they give you any info as to where and when they purchased the trailer?
Did they give you any hint as to the trailers known history?

As you say though it really does not matter - except should you loose or damage it .... you may find that your insurance company is only willing to pay you for the value of an old Aladdin and not the value of a Boler which more often than not is greater.
Old 04-27-2015, 02:44 PM   #10

Registry
The other thing I though of was perhaps the front tongue frame was damaged and the owners took it to Aladdin to have it repaired (a bit like Escape trailers doing repairs as they do on other brands of trailers) and during the repair they had to cut off where the serial number was so they decided to put one of their plates on the trailer with the original boler serial number stamped on it...
Old 04-27-2015, 02:46 PM   #11

Trailer: Former Burro owner and fan!
Registry
My suspicion here is that someone put the VIN plate from an old Aladdin on your rig just to get it registered/titled. Something that old, DMV would have a hard time verifying and the employee that titled your rig probably doesn't know any better.

Aladdin only made "stickies" as far as I recall, my grandparents had one and I do a lot of research on vintage rigs .. I restore and flip as a hobby. Never seen a glass one. I think you have a Boler that changed its name ....
Gina D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2015, 02:49 PM   #12

Trailer: 1971 Boler
Registry
You don't have a 1967 trailer for sure as the first Boler mold was not made until 1968 and the first 100 were flat tops. You have a raised roof so that would make it a 1969 or newer. So if it is an American Boler it is a 1971 or newer. What does the plate just below the belly band mid section on the drivers side say? Read the article I posted below for some good details.

History of the Boler
The Boler was invented by Ray Olecko, a car salesman that became fascinated with fiberglass and the potential it held. His first venture with fiberglass was the manufacture of septic tanks, they soon became an industry standard being lightweight and easy to ship compared to the steel and concrete models of the day. It was from this experience with fiberglass that the Boler evolved, he commissioned the mold maker for his septic tanks to make a two piece shell for a small lightweight travel trailer for his personal family needs, a wife and two small children.
The name Boler was decided on because the trailer looked like a bowler hat.
The initial 40 units had a bare shell, however due to condensation problems he recalled them and used, Ensolite, a product manufactured for airplane cockpits to insulate the trailers. He convinced them to shave the stock 2" thick material down to 3/16", it had to be cut into sections to fit the curves of the shell. He used 3M double sided tape to cover the seams, the sticky surface on the outside of the tape was rubbed with talcum powder.
The first 100 units manufactured in 1968 had flat roofs, then the arched roof was introduced to extend the head room.
In the second year about 150 units were produced in a new facility in Winnipeg, Manitoba, 400 to 500 units were manufactured in 1970.
Franchises were sold to companies in Earlton, Ontario and Peace River, Alberta in 1971.
In 1972 the Winnipeg facility produced almost 900 trailers, the other factories about the same. Franchises were also awarded to companies in the US.
Neonex, a Jim Patterson company purchased the company in 1973 and continued manufacturing until around 1978.
In total somewhere between 7000 - 10,000 units were manufactured in Canada.
A 17' model was built in Calgary, Ray Olecko was not involved and some say not pleased with the compromise of his design.

Eleanor International of Wichita KS signed on to produce Boler’s in three plants in 1971.

In July of 1971 Duane Eveland was involved in remodeling damaged mobile homes. A factory representative from the franchisee “Boler American” stopped by and watched. Eventually the Boler salesman asked if he would like to manufacture trailers for Boler. The Boler trailer was designed in Canada and Boler American was a company attempting to develop the US market. Duane was interested and together with his brother Gerald Eveland and sister Gladys Coffland negotiated a contract with Boler American in which Eveland’s Inc. would manufacture trailers and Boler would market them. Boler American had their own problems and went out of business late in 1972. This left Eveland’s Inc. with molds but no marketing company. Duane, Gerald and Gladys discussed things, came up with the name Scamp (they used the name Acorn for one year in 1979), and began building and marketing their own trailer. In 1981, they built the first Casita trailer, based on the Boler mold.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Monkeydo View Post
Long time lurker. New member.
I just introduced myself in the "Hi, I am.." section.

Thought I was buying a Boler.
After years of looking at pictures and following threads, the trailer I was destined to bring home was this "Boler"
After getting home and looking at the title I was surprised to find out I had just purchased a 1967 Aladdin. There is a plate riveted to the hitch that has faded greatly but from what I can make out it says Aladdin trailer company of Oregon.
I cannot find any info on a fiberglass trailer made in 1967 by this company.
So what do I have?
Looks like a Boler.
Smells like an old Boler.
I have yet to crawl through every nook and cranny.
As I am new to this forum I may have trouble, like all newbies who have never joined a group, uploading pictures. (yes I have read the instructions)
I will post my plans on reno/resto when I have come up with a plan.
Any help is appreciated.
Shaun
Rick Mooyman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2015, 03:01 PM   #13

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gina D. View Post
My suspicion here is that someone put the VIN plate from an old Aladdin on your rig just to get it registered/titled. Something that old, DMV would have a hard time verifying and the employee that titled your rig probably doesn't know any better.
Gina I suspect your probable correct as Aladdin was themselves only in biz from 1963 to 1969 and as Rick rightly points out this Boler has to be at least a 1969 maybe newer... unless the trailer was damaged in its first year of life there wold have been no Aladdin to take it to for repair as I earlier suggested may have happened.
Old 04-27-2015, 03:59 PM   #14

Washington
Talked to the old timer I got it from. He picked it up from a neighbors house where it had been sitting for years. This guy is an old time hot rod guy and wants everything period specific. Since it was his second (he has a tote & terry? he has restored) he didnt pay much attention to it. He licensed it every year in case his grown kids wanted to join him camping. He was kinda upset that he sold me a trailer that wasnt original and correct. He felt kinda bad.
I really dont care. Its been kinda fun trying to figure this all out with you guys and gals.

So I guess this is what you all have figured out so far.
1. It isnt an Aladdin
2. Its probably a Boler
3. Its not from 1967

I cant find any numbers stamped on the frame and it does not appear to be repaired or replaced. But I will keep looking for clues. I found a few more plates with numbers on them that I will try to track down their meaning but Im mot that concerned so it may be awhile.
Going forward in this group if I ever post she will be referred to as "My FGRV of unverified origin"
Thanks again for giving me some direction. And dont tell the state of Washington. As far as they know it is a 1967 Aladdin. I dont want any trouble from them.
Shaun
Attached Thumbnails
IMG_1129.JPG   IMG_1130.JPG  

Old 04-27-2015, 05:25 PM   #15

I'd still go with the idea that someone between 1 and 40 years ago had a live registration from a wrecked/water damaged Aladdin and also came into a Boler without a title for what ever reason, and slapped the former plates and title on it to solve the problem. You might ask WA DMV if there is any history available on the Aladdin registration & title, but I doubt if you would get anything and it might a bit awkward explaining why...

For those just reading along,,,, ALWAYS compare the title and registration with what you are buying before cash changes hands....

Old 04-27-2015, 05:37 PM   #16
Commercial Member

Name: Ian
Trailer: 1974 Boler 1300 - 2014 Escape 19'
Alberta
Registry
Hard to say exactly but what I can say is you have a Boler (or Boler clone from the original molds). Boler licenced their manufacturing so this could be as mentioned a Boler placed on another frame or maybe Alladin bought a shell from Boler or another licensee to test on their frame as another product line
Ian G. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2015, 06:30 PM   #17

Trailer: 1988 16 ft Scamp Deluxe
Frenched tail lights = boler. Probably a 1972-1973.

Or, you could just call it "Ittsa Mine, Notta Yours."

Whatever, good for you!
Donna D. is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2015, 09:57 AM   #18

Name: Walter
Trailer: 2017 Escape 17B
SW Virginia
If you could get to some rallies, you might see some Bolers you could directly compare it to. What fun!

Walt
WaltP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2015, 10:50 AM   #19

Name: Roger
Trailer: 1979 Trillium Jubilee
New York
Call it a Boladin and watch the confused looks.
rleete is offline   Reply With Quote