What do you think? - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 02-06-2010, 12:08 PM   #1

Trailer: 1984 Perris Pacer ('Tillie')
Just pulled my fridge because I opened the vent and found wet under the fridge. But as I sat there looking at everything, I thought "what about moving the air conditioner to the fridge space and then trying to fix that gapping hole in front.
Click image for larger version

Name:	P1010657.JPG
Views:	91
Size:	65.0 KB
ID:	26150
Do you all use your fridge a lot?
I really need a decorator!!
Vicki
Vicki A. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2010, 12:28 PM   #2

Trailer: 16 ft Casita Spirit Deluxe
Vicki....
It will be a tough job because you need two separate areas to the outside...... one for intake air and one for exhaust air and they must be completely separated and not mix together.
Look at your current a/c setup and you will see that hot exhaust air vents out in the front and intake air to keep the unit from overheating is on the door side vent and underneath..... take a flashlight and look in the front vent and you will see that it is in it's own separate compartment.
I'm not saying it can't be done but it will be involved.
Joe

Update: oops i see you have a perris pacer and not a casita patriot which it looks like at a quick glance so your vents might be in different locations but the principle is the same
Joe Z is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2010, 01:32 PM   #3

Trailer: 2007 Casita
Quote:
For us, Yes! But the question should be, Do you use your fridge a lot? Personally, I don't care to be chasing down ice. And often short trips, for us it would mean dragging along yet another thing, then working to keep the ice chest cold. With the fridge it is less hassle. To me even an ice box that you cool with block ice, inside the trailer would be easier than dragging a ice chest (lawn chairs, tables, etc take up enough space) But what works best for you? Now all that being said, I couldn't live without a AC in Texas summer camping!

"I really need a decorator!!"

No, you just need inspiration! Check out decorating websites like Hgtv decorating foum, decorating magazines, even Department Store flyer's , catalogs have great decorating ideas. Often times it's about finding a color scheme, and going from there.

Figuring out if you want to go with a theme, such as wildlife, flowers, spa-ish, 50's, 60's, 70's, chickens, puppy's or kittens, LOL or just with things that you love such as comfy fabrics, colors, prints, etc.

A few years ago on the forum I suggested there was a lady (sorry I couldn't find the post, thought I had saved it) anyway, she did her RV (Big Rig) french country! It was beautiful! Not what I would call camping decor, But it made her comfortable. Sorry I don't have any decorating web sites that address rv decorating issues, but it's just about finding ideas that you can work to fit your glass space and make you happy.

here are a few pic's of actual "glass" decor I have saved that people have posted of their projects or I found on the web. Sorry, I don't know who are the talented decorator's, but still admire their decorating ability.
Attached Thumbnails
a120_12_sb.JPG   Egg_Door_Side.jpg  

n620269503_219349_4884.jpg   n620269503_219353_6132.jpg  

Robin G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2010, 01:40 PM   #4

A few more inspiration pic's.................. Whether it be, outdoorsy, modern, retro, diva-ish decor just make it comfortable for you.
Attached Thumbnails
ultra.jpg   dia.jpg  

2_halfRes.jpg   33.jpg  

bkit.jpg  
Old 02-06-2010, 02:10 PM   #5

Trailer: Fiber Stream 1978 / Honda Odyssey LX 2003
Registry
Send a message via AIM to Frederick L. Simson
Unhappy

Quote:
I don't think I would do without a fridge in a trailer.
Old 02-07-2010, 02:33 AM   #6

Trailer: Boler 1700 1978 (Neonex Clagary)
We use to take our family out tent camping for 1 month in the summer for years on end. We purchased a used 3 way fridge to take with us. The kids loved the ice cream treats. I did not miss the food floating around in the cooler along with the water. Throwing away food because it was too water logged. I would keep the fridge.
Lydia

Lydia Cox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2010, 06:55 AM   #7

Trailer: 1988 16 ft Scamp Deluxe
I don't have A/C. Here in the Pacific NorthWET there's a better chance of rain that really hot weather. My Scamp has a 3-way. If it broke, I'd replace it with another. Although I do carry a cooler too, for beverages. Coolers require ice (or power). There's a freezer in my frig. I can make ice continually if necessary.

So, it really depends on camping style, how long you're out camping (are you going to run out of ice?) and whether it is so hot that you won't go camping rather than be really uncomfortable... especially at night? I don't think there's a one-size-fits-all answer.
Donna D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2010, 08:49 AM   #8

Thanks for the opinions gang! I think I will keep both - the biggest reason to go to a TT, was tent camping last June in 104 temps-can't live here w/o ac. I also got the point of "floating food", that really is a pain, and i'll keep the sodas in the cooler.

Robin - thanks for the pics of interiors,very cool. I guess I don't have much of imagination, but I'm gonna try!
Vicki
Old 02-07-2010, 09:28 AM   #9

Trailer: 1988 16 ft Scamp Deluxe
A simple solution to floating food is to either keep the ice in a plastic container of some sort (milk jugs?) or put the food in zip-lock style bags. Ice cold water actually keeps food colder than ice contained. It's typically not a problem for me because cans and bottles don't get water logged. I typically don't get the refrigerator turned on while under tow, so use the cooler for transporting food to destination. YMMV
Donna D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2010, 11:11 AM   #10

Quote:
Robin - thanks for the pics of interiors,very cool. I guess I don't have much of imagination, but I'm gonna try!
Vicki
Your Welcome! Remember when you find the decor you want, post pictures!
Old 02-07-2010, 11:18 AM   #11

Robin- on the decor thing...I just realized this is the first "place" I ever had (with the exception of my fort in the woods, as a kid), that I DON"T have to appease any one but ME!!!! I am an avid fly fisher and love the cabin in the woods look - so that is probably the direction I'll go. Thanks for the inspiration
Vicki
Old 02-07-2010, 11:27 AM   #12

Vicki, that's how it should be! Make it comfortable for you, Have you ever checked out this web site, sounds like it's right up your alley. Sisters on the fly Plus they decorate their trailers so cute!
Old 02-09-2010, 03:56 PM   #13

Trailer: 17 ft 1986 Burro
On my 13' Burro that exactly what I did. The fridge was kinda dinky even though it still worked I pulled it out put in a air conditioner ( properly vented) and added storage on the space above it. I boxed in the lower vent to exhaust the hot air and used the upper vent to supply outside air to the sides of the air cond. You could even add a fan there to help out but I never did
It worked out great for us, as we got a Coleman 12v fridge ( which we still use after 8 years or so) and the new owner seemed to like the modification also.
pjanits is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2010, 07:06 PM   #14

Name: Marjie
Trailer: Trillium 4500
New York

Vicki,
Everyone is certainly different in their needs. Even our own needs seem to change year to year!
We use the ice box that came with the Boler to store dishes. It just isn't large enough for use food storage.
The ice issue can be a pain, but we bought a really large cooler which doubles as dog seating in the car, (it goes where a back seat gets removed), and guest seating elsewhere. The larger size cooler does seem to work better than a smaller one
Marjie
Rarebird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2010, 09:25 PM   #15

Trailer: Chalet
Send a message via Yahoo to Lynn Musgrave
Quote:
Just pulled my fridge because I opened the vent and found wet under the fridge. But as I sat there looking at everything, I thought "what about moving the air conditioner to the fridge space and then trying to fix that gapping hole in front.
Attachment 26150
I really need a decorator!!
Vicki

Ok,everyone has given you some good points,but I would like to add one or two. I don't remember who,but someone on this sight,took out their 3 way fridge and put in a dorm size one. They said it worked good for them because they only camped with hook-ups. We have friends that take one( dorm size fridge) along & set it outside for drinks.They never take coolers.

Window unit AC works real good,so long as you get the right size and install it the right way. Lots of people on this sight have done it so you can get Great advise and help here.

I was going to suggest Sisters on the fly,but someone did that. just ask if people here have inside shots of their campers they would like to share with you.In the past people have posted pictures so maybe they can remember when they did and send you to those post.

Good Luck.....just make it something you like and it will be great.....Lynn
Lynn Musgrave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2010, 12:02 AM   #16

Trailer: 1979 13 ft Boler and 1987 Bigfoot 5th Wheel
Registry
Quote:
Robin- on the decor thing...I just realized this is the first "place" I ever had (with the exception of my fort in the woods, as a kid), that I DON"T have to appease any one but ME!!!! I am an avid fly fisher and love the cabin in the woods look - so that is probably the direction I'll go. Thanks for the inspiration
Vicki
Love, love, love it. As another fly fishing camping woman.......fly fishing, cabin decor rocks!