What if no Title? - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 12-05-2009, 10:37 AM   #1
Commercial Member

Trailer: 1988 Scamp 13 ft and 1982 Perris Pacer 13 ft
Registry
If a legitimate seller has no title to his/her trailer, what steps must the buyer go through to make a legal transaction and get registration?
Robert Johans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2009, 10:50 AM   #2

Trailer: 1974 Boler 13 ft (Neonex/Winnipeg)
I would say that it's going to come down to what your state requires. That's because, for example, some states do not even title (don't require and won't give) small trailers. So if you were buying such a trailer and lived in one of those states everything would be fine without one.

Each state seems to have their own rules.

Some states (NC, for example) allow you to title "home built" trailers, and I looked at one Scamp wherein the owner had titled it that way (he'd bought without a title).

On the other hand, if the seller is in a titling state, and you are in a titling state, that can make it more difficult. I have bought things from non-titling states and then titled them in my state without too much hassle (but, still had to file special papers, wait, etc.), but part of that process included proving that I bought it from a non-titling state. So if the trailer is now in a titling state, you might be more motivated to have the seller deal with it? (I realize that all sellers may not be willing to do this.)

If it were me, I would check with my DMV. Then know that when you go to actually do it, some good/bad/hassle/easy will still depend on who you actually end up working with when you get there (DMV).

Raya
Raya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2009, 12:05 PM   #3

Trailer: 13 ft Perris Pacer
I'm with Raya. Go to your DMV and have them explain EVERY little step and sidestep in detail to you. Sometimes it's simple and jut a matter of paying a fee and waiting, other times it can be pretty painful. It varies wildly from state to state, and in some places the title is issued by the county rather than the state so keep that in mind too. Also be mindful that while you're awaiting title, you also may not be able to register the trailer for use. If you understand the whole process and afterwards still aren't comfortable with any of the steps, then you should probably look elsewhere.

Usually when there's no title, it's because the seller doesn't want to do the hard work of obtaining one to legitamize the sale, or sometimes just lazy/doesn't care. If you are comfortable with the lost title process after talking to the DMV, the price should definitely reflect the hurdles you're going to be up against after ownership has changed hands. Make sure the seller knows this.
Angelo F. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2009, 12:54 PM   #4

Trailer: 1976 Scamp 13 ft
Registry
Robert, I live in Hillsboro Oregon and went through something similar on my trailer. Here is a link to what I went through and what Oregon requires. http://www.fiberglassrv.com/board/index.ph...ic=35422&hl= & http://www.fiberglassrv.com/board/index.ph...ic=36957&hl= Good luck.
Old 12-05-2009, 01:04 PM   #5
Commercial Member

Registry
Quote:
Robert, I live in Hillsboro Oregon and went through something similar on my trailer. Here is a link to what I went through and what Oregon requires. http://www.fiberglassrv.com/board/index.ph...ic=35422&hl= & http://www.fiberglassrv.com/board/index.ph...ic=36957&hl= Good luck.

Danny,
Thanks a lot. Just what I need to read.

BTW, how are your upgrades/remodels coming along. Would love to see how your bigger bed turned out.

RJ
Old 12-05-2009, 08:50 PM   #6

Trailer: 1976 Scamp 13 ft
Registry
I'm glad to help out, title problems suck.

With my project, I just cut out all the plywood seat supports and finished sanding and fixing the outside of the shell Friday. It's bare bones and ready to start the inside. My wife and I have been cleaning out all the fiberglass and filler dust from the garage, we will not be done with that until tomorrow. We took down the cushions and made them into a bed and now know we want a 55" wide bed, so that's what I'm using to start designing the inside Monday.

Old 12-05-2009, 10:25 PM   #7
Commercial Member

Registry
Good going...

I'm most curious to learn (see!) how you redesign the vertical cabinet and the galley. Are you rebuilding all of the interior furniture units? Have you seen my remodel and the custom cabinets I built for the front of my Scamp? Are you replacing all of the rat fur, or using something else? Keep me posted. Please.
Old 12-06-2009, 06:16 AM   #8

Trailer: 1988 16 ft Scamp Deluxe
Quote:
Are you replacing all of the rat fur, or using something else?
Robert, 1976 Scamps didn't have rat fur originally, Scamp was using an Ensolite product. Rat fur was starting to be used in late 1987 models onward.
Donna D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2009, 09:04 AM   #9
Commercial Member

Registry
Quote:
Robert, 1976 Scamps didn't have rat fur originally, Scamp was using an Ensolite product. Rat fur was starting to be used in late 1987 models onward.

Ohhh. Thanks for the info. What interior wall covering was used? Ensolite, like other manufacturers?

Tags
registration, title