What is the battery for? - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-28-2011, 09:49 PM   #1

Name: Bill
Trailer: Trails West
Illinois
Question What is the battery for?

Would someone explain what the battery is for? I know it is for running the 12v systems, but I don't know what they are. I want an AC, but not refrigerator or furnace. From reading many posts I realize my option selection could start a debate. However, I only list them to give an idea of what I want to run.

I want to own a fgrv someday and I am trying to learn as much as possible before I make any final decisions.

Thanks,

Bill
Bill K Jr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2011, 09:53 PM   #2

Trailer: 92 16 ft Scamp
Registry
You will need a battery to run the lights and water pump if you are not plugged into electrical.
Carol H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2011, 10:23 PM   #3

Trailer: 16 ft Casita Spirit Deluxe
When you are plugged in it (the converter)will still run your 12 volt system of lights and water pump but now you will also have outlets to run a microwave, air conditioner and television if you want and anything else ac electrical and it will also charge up your battery for when you are somewhere that you can not plug in then you will be able to run your lights and water pump like Carol H stated.
Joe

Wow..... I just noticed a new feature on this site....
All the dotted underlined words bring you to posts of interest pertaining to that word (maybe they where there and i never noticed).....Neat Update.
Thanks
Joe Z is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2011, 10:50 PM   #4

Trailer: 2009 17 ft Casita Freedom Deluxe
Probably the most important need of the battery is to stop the trailer should it separate from the TV. There are redundant systems to prevent but the electric electric brake regency cable is the last line of defense.
Dave Fish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2011, 05:36 AM   #5

Name: Norm and Ginny
Trailer: Scamp 16
Florida
Battery Purpose

The primary purpose of the battery is to run anything that requires 12 volts to operate including the 12 volt lights, water pump,and in an emergency the trailer brakes thru the breakaway switch and possibly the fridge if you have a 3 way fridge.

The 12 volt tail and brake lights operate from the tow vehicles 12 volt system.

The battery will charge from a converter that if you're plugged in. As well it can be charged from your tow vehicle's battery/generator or a solar panel.

As well the output of the battery can be connected to an Inverter to create AC from the battery. A converter takes 110 volts AC and makes 12 volts DC. An Inverter takes 12 volts DC and makes 110 volts AC.

Converters come in different sizes as do Inverters.

2014 Honda Odyssey
1991 Scamp 16
honda03842 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2011, 09:15 AM   #6

Trailer: 1979 13 ft Boler and 1987 Bigfoot 5th Wheel
Registry
The most important thing our battery does is run the heater! It also runs the lights and the water pump as mentioned.
Old 08-29-2011, 10:55 AM   #7

Trailer: Fiber Stream 1978 / Honda Odyssey LX 2003
Registry
Send a message via AIM to Frederick L. Simson
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill K Jr View Post
Would someone explain what the battery is for? I know it is for running the 12v systems, but I don't know what they are. I want an AC, but not refrigerator or furnace.
Most travel trailer manufacturers assume that it will be used in a remote area far from services, so the very basic systems that require electricity are operated on 12 volt DC. These are in order of importance:
  • interior lighting
  • water pump
  • furnace blower motor
Additionally, modern gas appliances seldom operate from standing pilot lights any more. They use the 12 volts DC to ignite or control the flame.
  • water heaters
  • refrigerator control circuit boards
  • range ovens
Being plugged into 110 volts AC is considered the alternate power source, hence the converter in addition to regular 15 amp outlets. Thus, appliances with high energy demands that cannot be operated on propane gas need to be plugged in.
  • air conditioners

You say you don't want a refrigerator or furnace, but do want Air Conditioning. In the overall scheme, that's the least important to have. Granted, in your particular location it may climb higher on your requirement list.

Do you want a toilet? A hot shower? Then a battery would be needed.
Old 08-30-2011, 01:21 AM   #8

Trailer: 2009 Trillium 13 ft ('Homelet') / 2000 Subaru Outback
Registry
Smile

Hmm. Homer. Is that Homer, IL; Homer, GA; or Homer, LA?

Your location probably will affect the brand of trailer you buy, if buying new. $1.50 per mile shipping does add up!

Good luck in your quest.

NOTICE TO ALL: Not all stoves light from the 12 volts. Some use a 9 volt battery hidden up under and behind the stove.

Whether you think you can or think you can't, you're right.
Roger C H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2011, 09:03 AM   #9

Registry
Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roger C H View Post
NOTICE TO ALL: Not all stoves light from the 12 volts. Some use a 9 volt battery hidden up under and behind the stove.

I appreciate being corrected when I put out inaccurate information.
Old 08-30-2011, 09:12 AM   #10

Illinois
Actually, i am toying with the idea of my own portable Man cave for getting away from the family for a couple days a month AND for traveling with wife and child to some cool areas with electric e.g. Lake Powell. Given my most likely travel times an AC would be essential in the Midwest and cube heater would suffice for fall and spring. I'd love to believe I am the rugged boondocking type, but 20 years of life in academia makes me a little soft around the edges.

What I think I truly want (and I am still deliberating) is this: Remove sink and stove. Make that area flat counter-top. Then convert that entire area (top cupboards and lower counter space) into an entertainment center for a flatscreen, dvd player and x box. A place where I can get some work done in the morning on my laptop, take a walk in the afternoon, and at night kick back and enjoy some guy films or games.

I am choosing the 13' because I have no problems using camp facilities - so I have little use for the sink, watertank, and pump. Given my travel windows, I will (most likely) not need a built in propane heater. I like cooking and know what splashing, smoke, garlic etc. does to my big house kitchen. I'll be cooking outside. I would therefore not have a propane system.

The emergency brakes is an excellent point and because of that I will have a Battery.

Once again, I realize this is not the self-sufficient model many crave and would not work well in Canadian national parks, or anywhere without electricity. However, it is becoming more and more my dream. I have read many of the forums on these topics and I also realize these things will affect resale value, and that is a good point. However, I am taking my time precisely because I have no intention to resell, and by the time I do I will have gotten the full depreciation value out of my trailer.

Anyway, I thought I would share this with you. I welcome constructive feedback on any of this.

Bill
Old 08-30-2011, 09:18 AM   #11

Illinois
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roger C H View Post
Hmm. Homer. Is that Homer, IL; Homer, GA; or Homer, LA?

Your location probably will affect the brand of trailer you buy, if buying new. $1.50 per mile shipping does add up!

Good luck in your quest.

Actually, it is close enough to Homer IL. I'm not exactly disclosing my city of residence, but it is close enough. I do not do this to deceive anyone (why would I admit it if I were?) This is a public forum, so I am erring on the side of caution. I would drive to pick up the camper. Following things I have seen in other threads I would set aside a full week and actually use the camper near Backus for a few days before driving back. Hopefully catching anything that needed an obvious adjustment early.
Old 08-30-2011, 09:31 AM   #12

Registry
Red face

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill K Jr View Post
Given my most likely travel times an AC would be essential in the Midwest and cube heater would suffice for fall and spring.

The emergency brakes is an excellent point and because of that I will have a Battery.

I welcome constructive feedback on any of this.
I have been to Kansas and Missouri in the summer, and I suspect Illinois would be similar. I understand the need for AC.

What you are describing is very similar to how my old Compact Jr. was set up. I did have a hand pump and water tank (no electric required) and had a dishpan on the counter for a sink. We never used it. We did use a porta-potty, but infrequently.

To this day I regret selling it; I miss it's elegant simplicity.
Old 08-30-2011, 10:27 AM   #13

Trailer: 92 16 ft Scamp
Registry
Bill, for me the battery on the trailer and having all my lighting, pumps and fans etc able to work off it is a hugh need. Yes it is needed in most Canadian national and provincal parks but I actually camp more south of the border. I can think of at least 5 different campgrounds in the US that I stayed at in the past 2 months that I would not have been able to stay at if I did not have the option of running everything off of a battery or propane when needed. Can also think of a number of trips I have been invited to join friends on that I would not have been able to go on if I had been limited as to what will run on a battery or propane. Some of the no power places have become my fav places to camp.

Yes most US parks have power but they are often fully booked up in the summer months making it hard to get into on a last minute trip. Most though will have tent sites still open for use and due to having a small trailer and no need for power they will let you use them. IMHO they are often located in a nicer section of the park than the full hook up sites. More often than not I have found that most sites located very close to water (lake, river or ocean) do not have services. Can also think of a number of occasions when I have arrived at a park only to be told everything is full but the Ranger will say he has an overflow spot I can take for the night with no services and he will slip me in to a spot that opens up the next day. Actually have landed in some pretty nice so called overflow spots in the past 5 years that I was happy to stay in rather than move. :-)

I appreciate that you will be camping in warm weather areas more than I so you have a far greater need for AC but I think you may find there are many times you could get away with just a Fantasitc Fan. I recently spent 2 weeks camping in temps in the very high 90's and only had a Fantastic fan running off the battery and it worked really well when needed at night to cool down the trailer. I do also have a small portable solar panel for topping up the battery during the day so I dont need to worry about the battery usage of the fan at night.

Can think of a couple of occasions this summer where if I did not have the flexablitly of going with out power I would have also have had to keep driving into the night in search of another place to stop.

I personally place a very *high* value on the fact the trailer is very flexable in so far as where I can or can not camp. In my opinion its the greatest thing about having a small trailer. I know that I would not be nearly as happy with it if I was limited to where I could camp.

PS I should also point out that I am a little soft around the edges as well (have the 19" flat screen and DVD) thus the reason I want to a trailer from a tent and I want everything to work (even my computer & phone that need recharging) to make the camping experence as soft as possible - power or no power at the site. :-)
Carol H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2011, 02:39 PM   #14

Illinois
Frederick - Thanks for letting me know I am not alone in my design desires.

Carol - thank you for sharing all that with me. You have convinced me about the need for the Battery. From what I've read I think I could also get an inverter to charge my laptop on those occasions when I do not have a hookup. I must admit, I love thinking about all this stuff.

Thanks for taking the time to tell me your experiences everyone. Continued feedback is, of course, welcome.

Bill
Old 08-30-2011, 03:09 PM   #15

Trailer: Trillium 5500 1980
I especially appreciate 12 volts when boodocking for the furnace motor and lightning. My wife and I are also on CPAP and 12 volts is an absolute necessity then. No way someone should consider not having 12 volts unless always camping near an electrical outlet. 12 volts, as mentioned above, is the best guarantee for freedom camping.

And my answer to the how much question is don't close any door and do it with as much of flexibility as possible. There are reasons why generators, solar panels, battery size, type and numbers, inverters, chargers etc. are abundantly debated here.
Normand Choiniere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2011, 11:18 PM   #16

Trailer: 1999 Casita 17 ft Spirit Deluxe
Florida
You can't run an AC on 12v, not even with an inverter.
National Forest CGs usually don't have hookups.
Neither do BLM lands. Not sure about Corps of Engineers.
County and state parks vary a lot.
Herb Sutton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2011, 04:54 AM   #17

Trailer: 2001 13 ft Scamp / 1993 Jeep Cherokee
There are some on this forum who have taken out the entire 12v system turning their trailer into a total 110 unit.

Personally I would never do that as you'll definitely need to find a campground or RV park with electricity in order to function. Not me. I like the option of camping in the outdoors, the woods etc. which often don't have electrical hoookups. While I'm not one to camp in the California SP's, most of them don't have electrical hookups here in the north anyway. Often National Parks campgrounds don't have electric hookups. So you really limit yourself as to where you can camp. Having said that, if you really need A/C then you'll have carry a generator to use it in campgrounds without electricity. I've got one.
2019 Ram Longhorn
Joy A is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2011, 06:47 AM   #18

Name: Norm and Ginny
Trailer: Scamp 16
Florida
Why 12 Volts

One reason to have 12 volts is those long treks thru empty places.

Traveling the Trans Labrador Highway, one day we did a 200 mile stretch seeing only 8 other vehicles in over 7 hours. We averaged under 30 mph on that day.

Obviously we had to stop for an occasional pit stop, lunch stop and lets stop and check out the neighborhood (though no neighbors). On those occasions it was nice to have 12 volt power or AC by turning on the Inverter, possible because we had a battery.

We did carry a small generator on this trip because one never knows what will happen when you're far from normal civilization. However, when you stop for lunch you typically don't want to crank up the generator.

A 12 volt system is worthwhile. Really the only penalty is the battery and the converter. Of course I feel the same way about a propane system. The magic of these three way systems is choice and backup.

Traveling through the wilds of the world does mean you may have to be truly self sufficient. When we're really away we carry things we would never consider for normal RVing, backing up the backup....

2014 Honda Odyssey
1991 Scamp 16
honda03842 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
battery