What is the best caulking? - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-29-2020, 06:44 PM   #1

Name: Sonny
Trailer: 1975 Ventura
Yukon
What is the best caulking?

I need to caulk around the top of my belly band. Ive read that silicone is not a good option. Any suggestions? Thanks, Sonny
sonny75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2020, 07:02 PM   #2

Trailer: Escape 17 ft
Why are you caulking the belly band?
Old 08-29-2020, 07:36 PM   #3

Yukon
I removed the band and filled the seam with flexible sealant. It was leaking bad. Now I'm putting the band back on and I want to seal along the top edge of it. Just to be sure.
Old 08-29-2020, 07:58 PM   #4

Trailer: Escape 17 ft
Got it. So, you're talking the metal band, not the vinyl insert.
Have a read of this thread on the Escape forum. Discusses caulks and uses.
https://www.escapeforum.org/forums/f...nce-16903.html
Old 08-30-2020, 10:47 AM   #5

Yukon
Thanks appreciate it
Old 08-30-2020, 10:55 AM   #6

Name: Derek
Trailer: 2007 Bigfoot 25b25rq
Washington
Geocel Proflex RV
Derek Johnson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2020, 01:24 PM   #7

Name: Barry
Trailer: "Egg Camper"
520-220-7552
If you want a permanent seal that will resist UV, use "3M - #5200" marine caulk.
Seacapt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2020, 03:43 PM   #8

Name: Paul
Trailer: '04 Scamp 19D, TV:Tacoma 3.5L 4door, SB
Colorado
Lexel is good.
Paul O. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2020, 06:25 AM   #9

Name: Natalie
Trailer: ford
mexico
I used Dicor 501LSW Self-Leveling Lap Sealant. This stuff is great for sealing your RV's roof seams and penetrations. It sticks like crazy and flows into all the nooks and crannies. Beware: If you get it on yourself you have to mechanically remove it, if you get it on your clothes, you'll never get it off. Get plenty: I used 1-2 tubes per roof vent and 2-3 per full-width seam, so a full dozen was just the right amount for a 31' RV's three roof vents, two sanitary vents, two seams, and other various roof penetrations. Don't bother with silicone or any other sealant - they won't stick to your roof and they will leak in a couple of months. You can consult!
https://vogeltalksrving.com/best-rv-caulks/#more-1819
Natalie21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2020, 10:40 AM   #10

Name: Carl
Trailer: LiL Hauley
Syracuse, NY
I have used Geocell ProFlex RV with good success. I wet a small piece of paper towel with mineral spirits. You apply a small bead about 3-4 feet long then wet my finger from the paper towel with mineral spirits and lightly work it with my finger. Looks great when finished. You can get in different colors and clear. I sealed my belly band with the black stuff.
Good video:

I have used lLexel but it seems to skim over instantly and does not work well. It's good for sealing in areas that won't be seen.

Dicor is also good stuff.

Only use 3M 5200 if you don't want to take something apart latter. Use 3m 4200 for that. Watch some utube videos.
Old 11-17-2020, 12:02 PM   #11
tua

Name: Traveler
Trailer: Happier Camper
Utah
Caulk

I have to agree .... use marine caulk, which was recommended to me by the manufacturer. Also from what I understand, it is more flexible, which is probably better suited to the movement.
tua is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2022, 08:38 PM   #12

mexico
Used this caulk from Dicor to install a couple of fantastic vents on our camper. The stuff that came off the old vents looked like it was this and some other kind of tough caulk. The tough stuff was almost impossible to remove from the rubber roof. One tube was enough to sufficiently install and seal the vent holes for two new units. We did a seam around the bottom of the fan lip before installing, around the lip, and cover the screw holes of the new units.
Old 08-11-2022, 08:19 PM   #13

mexico
Quote:
Originally Posted by Natalie21 View Post
Used this caulk from Dicor to install a couple of fantastic vents on our camper. The stuff that came off the old vents looked like it was this and some other kind of tough caulk. The tough stuff was almost impossible to remove from the rubber roof. One tube was enough to sufficiently install and seal the vent holes for two new units. We did a seam around the bottom of the fan lip before installing, around the lip, and cover the screw holes of the new units.
This RV caulk doesn’t have any discoloration over time. I notice that a lot of sealants have this weird shade of yellow over time. This one seems to be able to blend with the color of the material it’s on. That said, it’ll be easier to sell your RV in the future because this sealant can help make it look brand new at the very least.
Old 08-12-2022, 12:12 PM   #14

Name: Joel
Trailer: Casita SD
Texas
Putty, or Butyl Tape?
JoelInTexas is offline   Reply With Quote