What is this stuff? Do I need to redo it?? - Fiberglass RV

Old 11-23-2019, 11:39 AM   #1

Name: Olivia
Trailer: Ford Fleetwood
California
What is this stuff? Do I need to redo it??

This stuff is on top of my 1988 aluminum roof. I've already removed about 95% of it as it was cracked and brittle, not water tight anymore. I'm wondering what the heck it is and whether or not I need to redo it? I'm assuming that the previous owner put this stuff on and it's just kinda slapped on there, not very cleanly. I'm also wondering if I can just put some sealant where needed instead? The only problem is that when removing the white stuff I found a few small holes-can sealant be used to seal these up as well?
Attached Thumbnails
20191106_142612.jpg   20191106_142627.jpg  

00pipirose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2019, 02:58 PM   #2

Name: Steve
Trailer: 1979 Boler1700
Maple Ridge, B.C.
Registry
by the looks of it, yes you need to re-do it. If that's a stick-built I would check the walls for dry rot as well.

ststefan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2019, 03:11 PM   #3

Name: Olivia
Trailer: Ford Fleetwood
California
Do you know what this stuff is called?
00pipirose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2019, 03:19 PM   #4

Name: Steve
Trailer: 1979 Boler1700
Maple Ridge, B.C.
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by 00pipirose View Post
Do you know what this stuff is called?
I'm not sure what it's called but I think it's the rubber roof sealant that most stick built trailers come with. Looks like it's dried out and hardened. Dycor makes a version of it. Take the picture to an RV dealer and they could recommend the right stuff.
ststefan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2019, 10:44 AM   #5

Name: Al
Trailer: Currently Shopping
Pennsylvania
Sealant

You want to peal/pry off the old sealant. Replace it with Dicor Self Leveling Lap Sealant.

https://www.campingworld.com/self-le...iABEgKlIvD_BwE
Al in PA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2019, 02:38 PM   #6

Name: Skip
Trailer: Jayco
Arkansas
Not sure what it is but you can use Dicor Self Leveling Lap Sealant. Clean area well with mineral spirits and apply (follow directions). You can order from Amazon.
Flydog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2019, 11:17 PM   #7

Name: Jann
Trailer: Casita
Colorado
Quote:
Originally Posted by ststefan View Post
I'm not sure what it's called but I think it's the rubber roof sealant that most stick built trailers come with. Looks like it's dried out and hardened. Dycor makes a version of it. Take the picture to an RV dealer and they could recommend the right stuff.
I've never had the Dycor rubber roof sealant dry out like this. It looks like a different sealant that is a type of caulk. Would need to be removed carefully and use the Dycor rubber roof sealant around pipes, etc. My 2012 RV has not dried out at all with the Dycor sealant.
Jann Todd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2019, 11:27 PM   #8

Colorado
Quote:
Originally Posted by 00pipirose View Post
This stuff is on top of my 1988 aluminum roof. I've already removed about 95% of it as it was cracked and brittle, not water tight anymore. I'm wondering what the heck it is and whether or not I need to redo it? I'm assuming that the previous owner put this stuff on and it's just kinda slapped on there, not very cleanly. I'm also wondering if I can just put some sealant where needed instead? The only problem is that when removing the white stuff I found a few small holes-can sealant be used to seal these up as well?
Looks like a cheap caulk of some kind. Yes remove all of it that you can. Then follow directions on the Dycor rubber sealant and reseal it all. We've had good luck with the Dycor. It cannot be used around windows as it runs that is why it is used on the roof area. Clean the area around the small holes and put some over them. Dycor is quite thin compared to other caulk and will flatten out so clean the area for a ways around the small holes. I've never seen Dycor crack like that as it is rubber and rubber doesn't crack open. For anyone that has a rubber roof check to make sure the sealant you get can be used on the rubber roof.
Old 11-25-2019, 07:58 AM   #9

Name: Skip
Trailer: Jayco
Arkansas
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jann Todd View Post
It cannot be used around windows as it runs that is why it is used on the roof area.
Dicor does make a non-self leveling sealant that can be used for vertical applications.
Flydog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2019, 12:24 PM   #10

Colorado
Quote:
Originally Posted by Flydog View Post
Dicor does make a non-self leveling sealant that can be used for vertical applications.
I was not aware of that. We've always gotten the self-leveling for the top of the RV because it levels out nicely without us having to try and make it look good. I will keep this in mind for windows if I ever need it.
Old 11-30-2019, 12:16 PM   #11

Trailer: Miti Lite 1987
Could even be old faded dried roofing tar, that is very effective when new.
Peder_y2k is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2019, 01:34 PM   #12

Name: K C
Trailer: 1971 Trailswest Campster
Washington
Since you have already removed most of it there is no point in worrying about what it was because it is now history
k corbin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2019, 07:04 PM   #13

Name: John
Trailer: Oliver Legacy Elite II
Hawaii
Not necessarily true. If it contained some portion of silicon, then likely you will need to go back with a silicon based product. I support the suggestion above of taking a sample and picture of the existing to a pro and getting a recommendation as to what will stick and what will not.

Geronimo John is offline   Reply With Quote