What is wrong with tire? - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-11-2010, 08:51 PM   #1

Trailer: 1990 16 ft Scamp Deluxe
What is wrong with tire?

When we got back Saturday from camping for a week at San Simion State Beach (CA) we noticed that one of the radial tires had metal -- like strings -- sticking out of it in one place. What is wrong with the tire? I bought all new tires just over 2 years ago. Should I replace just this one tire or both? What is this called?
Maggie S. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2010, 08:57 PM   #2

Trailer: 2008 Scamp 16 ft Custom Deluxe Deluxe Side Dinette
Registry
Sounds to me like you barely made it home with that tire! That is what you call a broken belt in the tire. If that tire went bad in 2 years, chances are the other tire is probably bad also. I would replace them both just to be safe.
Mark Shaffer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2010, 09:00 PM   #3

Trailer: Trillium 4500 1978
Steel belted radial ....change ASAP. For the tire to wear in one spot it must be way out of balance(bent?) Or you have an alignment issue? My guess would be a bent/out of balance wheel?

Good luck.

Kevin
KevinWA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2010, 09:08 PM   #4

Wheel out of balance?

Quote:
Originally Posted by KevinWA View Post
Steel belted radial ....change ASAP. For the tire to wear in one spot it must be way out of balance(bent?) Or you have an alignment issue? My guess would be a bent/out of balance wheel?

Good luck.

Kevin
I also had new rims put on 2 years ago with the new tires. The idea of a bent/out of balance wheel is something I want to look into. Other than the metal sticking out -- the tires look okay . . .

Thanks,

Maggie
Old 08-11-2010, 09:11 PM   #5

broken belt

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark Shaffer View Post
Sounds to me like you barely made it home with that tire! That is what you call a broken belt in the tire. If that tire went bad in 2 years, chances are the other tire is probably bad also. I would replace them both just to be safe.
I'm glad we made it back okay . . . thanks for right words . . . it will help when I call the tire shop.

Maggie
Old 08-12-2010, 05:45 AM   #6

Trailer: Escape 19 ft 2010
Registry
Correct Tires

Confirm that you installed trailer tires two years ago. There is a dramatic difference between auto/truck tires and trailer tires.
Paul Braun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2010, 04:04 PM   #7

Trailer: 2005 16 ft Scamp Side Dinette and 2005 Fleetwood (Coleman) Taos pop-up / 2004 Dodge Dakota QuadCab and 2008 Subaru Outback
Registry
If you see metal threads coming out it usually means that the tread is separating from the tire, and allowing the steel belt inside to wiggle out as the steel wires break down. Were the tires balanced when installed? Out of curiosity, what Camper do you have and what size tires were they? I have a Scamp 16 side dinette and lost my tread on the heavier curb side a couple of months ago, and upgraded to "D" range trailer tires to give more tire capacity.
Radar1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2010, 06:55 PM   #8

Tire Info

John:
The tires were balanced when installed and I had metal stems put in. I had Denman tires from a local independant tire store ($76 each-out the door then) put on, as I had not seen many negative reports on them. I think they are trailer tires. I also had new wheels put on then. We have a 1990 16' Scamp Deluxe and a family member thought it was riding a little low on the curb side recently. I'm wondering if that could have been a clue I missed. (Ours is not a side dinette, we've got a bunk up front and back dinette, bathroom on not-curb side.)

Denman ST175/70R13 6 ply
PCER Wheel 55W 13 X 4.5

Maggie
Old 08-14-2010, 05:08 AM   #9

Trailer: Escape 19 ft 2010
Registry
Those are definately trailer tires.
Paul Braun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2010, 11:27 AM   #10

Trailer: 2005 16 ft Scamp Side Dinette and 2005 Fleetwood (Coleman) Taos pop-up / 2004 Dodge Dakota QuadCab and 2008 Subaru Outback
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Maggie Shinoki View Post
John:

Denman ST175/70R13 6 ply
PCER Wheel 55W 13 X 4.5

Maggie
The "ST" shows that they are trailer tires. My 2005 Scamp label calls for a slightly taller tire (ST175/80/13) but your model may have used the smaller profile, which probably has a lower rating when compared to a taller tire, but your 6 ply rating probably made up for any difference.
I'm still surprised that my Scamp label says I should use 175/80/13 inflated to 45 lbs, which only provides 1270 lbs capacity per tire according to the Goodyear site, but then claims the GVWR for the trailer is 3500 lbs.

I wish someone made smooth riding indestructible tires for trailers.

John
Old 08-14-2010, 04:01 PM   #11

Trailer: 89 Scamp 16 ft
date code

Always remember to check the tires date of manufacture. There is a small box on the side wall with the date stamp. The first two are the week and the last two are the year. Do not run with tires over 7 years old no matter how good they look.
Old 08-15-2010, 09:29 PM   #12

Detailed Photo of Tire Attached and additional info

Here is some additional info on the tires I have on my Scamp trailer. I've also attached a photo of the wires poking out!

DENMAN EXPRESS S/T

STEEL RADIAL

ST175/80R13 (had typo on the size earlier thread)

SIDEWALL 2 PLIES POLYESTER

TREAD 2 PLIES POLYESTER + 2 PLIES STEEL

MAX LOAD 615 kg (1360 LBS) AT 345 kPa (50 PSI) MAX PRESS

MADE IN MEXICO

RADIAL PLY

(By the date code, even though I put the tires on 2 years ago, they are about 4 years old.)
Attached Thumbnails
DenmanTireCordDetail.jpg  
Old 08-15-2010, 10:16 PM   #13

Which Brand? Load Range D

[QUOTE=John Haggerty;219507 upgraded to "D" range trailer tires to give more tire capacity.[/QUOTE]

John, now I'm thinking to also go to the "D" range trailer tires. I'm wondering what brand you used as the usual "big name" makers don't seem to make a "D" range in the size of ST 175/80R13. (If you feel more comfortable, private message me the brand.) Last time I was tire shoping, I was trying to stay away from made in China, bought ones made in Mexico - would like made in USA or Canada but . . .not sure anyone does.

I really don't know what the Scamp's weight is. We got it 2nd hand about 3 years ago but I'm thinking it's on the heavier side as it's Deluxe, with all the extra wood cabinits & a porcelain toliet & large fridge (I took the micro out). We try not to haul water and get it at the park, to keep things lighter.

(If I were to buy new, I think I'd like the side-dinette one you have.)

Thanks for your advice,
Maggie
Old 08-16-2010, 05:04 PM   #14

Registry
Quote:
John, now I'm thinking to also go to the "D" range trailer tires. I'm wondering what brand you used as the usual "big name" makers don't seem to make a "D" range in the size of ST 175/80R13. (If you feel more comfortable, private message me the brand.) Last time I was tire shoping, I was trying to stay away from made in China, bought ones made in Mexico - would like made in USA or Canada but . . .not sure anyone does.

I really don't know what the Scamp's weight is. We got it 2nd hand about 3 years ago but I'm thinking it's on the heavier side as it's Deluxe, with all the extra wood cabinits & a porcelain toliet & large fridge (I took the micro out). We try not to haul water and get it at the park, to keep things lighter.

Thanks for your advice,
Maggie
I ordered Karrier St175/80r13 Radial Tire - Load range D from Etrailer.com. These are made by LoadStar and made in China. They are rated at 1610 lbs each, which gives me extra capacity compared to the standard tires.
I had the same brand on my old pop-up and have had no problems with those, so I took a chance and purchased these even though they were made in China. The tire that failed on the Scamp was a Goodyear made in New Zealand.
Many people have upgraded to 14" tires, but even those have some problems, and the Kumho tires I was thinking of upgrading to seem to be getting more failure reports lately. My thought process was that since all tire sizes seem to have problems, I would take a chance on the LoadStar Karriers since they provide the extra capacity I believe is needed on these Scamps, especially the 16 with side dinette that seems to have more weight on the curb side (where most of the failures seem to occur).
I have about 4,000 miles on these now, most on days with high 90 or low 100 temperatures with everything looking good so far.
I purchased just the tires, as the wheels were already rated for the higher capacity, and had them mounted and balanced locally with new steel stems.

John
Old 10-02-2010, 08:49 AM   #15

Name: Richard
Trailer: Scamp 16 deluxe
Wisconsin
Quote:
Originally Posted by John Haggerty View Post
If you see metal threads coming out it usually means that the tread is separating from the tire, and allowing the steel belt inside to wiggle out as the steel wires break down. Were the tires balanced when installed? Out of curiosity, what Camper do you have and what size tires were they? I have a Scamp 16 side dinette and lost my tread on the heavier curb side a couple of months ago, and upgraded to "D" range trailer tires to give more tire capacity.
We are getting a 16 Scamp side dinette and am wondering what brand has D rated for the 13".
Dick Johnson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2010, 09:13 AM   #16
Commercial Member

Trailer: No Trailer Yet
Re: Our Scamp Deluxe weight 16 ft.

Quote:

Thanks for your advice,
Maggie
Maggie,
FYI: This summer our 1995 Scamp Deluxe side bath 16 ft. fully loaded for our trip and with about 3 gallons of water weighed in at 2,200 pounds.
Deb
Deb & Chuck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2010, 02:13 PM   #17

Trailer: 2009 Trillium 13 ft ('Homelet') / 2000 Subaru Outback
Registry
Smile Tire Fibers

Our 1977 Jeep Cherokee, I was told, was not able to be adjusted for camber. As a result, the tires wore badly on the outside shoulder. While on a long trip I stopped at a wayside and observed the same thing, only all around the tire and the shoulder was worn badly. I replaced it with the spare.
My fibers were shiny from hitting the road.

Yours looks like a manufacturing fault unless you overused the tires. See below. It may be that overheating would allow the I would take them back to the place you bought them and ask for credit on new ones. Of course then you will have to buy the same brand.

I found a good place to buy tires is Les Schwab. They have shops all over the west and they stand behind their tires. (No, not because they are afraid to stand in front!)

Were you running them at the 50psi? At that pressure you have 1360 x 2 = 2720 lbs total capacity. Lower pressures require lower weights.

How fast do you drive? What comes after the "ST175/80R13" s/b "91L" 91 means the load rating you quoted and the L indicates the tire can run at 75 mph. If the letter is earlier in the alphabet, you may have a problem; K=68; J=62; G=56; F=50. Since you live in CA, you may have G rated because trailers are not supposed to be towed faster than 55mph. Ahem.

Here is an unbiased discussion:

http://www.nhtsa.gov/cars/rules/Tire.../brochure.html

Whether you think you can or think you can't, you're right.
Roger C H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2010, 06:35 PM   #18

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dick Johnson View Post
We are getting a 16 Scamp side dinette and am wondering what brand has D rated for the 13".
I got mine through etrailer.com. They're Karrier St175/80r13 Radial Tire - Lr D Loadstar radials, same size as we had originally, but "D" rated and can use up to 65 lbs of air pressure.
My wheels were already rated to 1610 lbs each (same as the new tire) so I didn't need to buy the new wheels. We've already had them to FL a couple of times, and from GA to TX during the hot summer and they're holding up fine so far.

John