What Now? How to carry my Trike... - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-24-2018, 02:41 PM   #1

Name: AvisJo
Trailer: Casita
Washington
What Now? How to carry my Trike...

I just got a second hand folding adult tricycle (Adventurer) and am now trying to figure out how to carry it when I go camping. First of all, should it go on my tow or on the back of my Casita?
Does anyone here carry a tricycle as opposed to bicycles? Is there a particular kind of rack that works for you?? If you put a rack on your tow (2013 Highlander) does it interfere with the towing of your trailer?
The trike folded takes up a huge amount of the storage space in our Highlander, which is why I am hoping to carry it outside.

Thanks, Avis
Avisjo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2018, 03:39 PM   #2
Commercial Member

Name: Charlie Y
Trailer: Escape 21 - Felicity
Oregon
Quote:
Originally Posted by Avisjo View Post
I just got a second hand folding adult tricycle (Adventurer) and am now trying to figure out how to carry it when I go camping. First of all, should it go on my tow or on the back of my Casita?
Does anyone here carry a tricycle as opposed to bicycles? Is there a particular kind of rack that works for you?? If you put a rack on your tow (2013 Highlander) does it interfere with the towing of your trailer?
The trike folded takes up a huge amount of the storage space in our Highlander, which is why I am hoping to carry it outside.

Thanks, Avis
You could install a rear OMW receiver and use a tray mount; BUT you need to check out the weights involved and make sure your tongue weight will be sufficient. Particularly if you're using a 16 footer.

Don't drill holes, try custom storage you design: https://RVWidgetWorks.com
tractors1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2018, 06:44 PM   #3

Trailer: 2004 13 ft Scamp Custom Deluxe
Registry
Here is the solution I made to carry an adult trike for a friend... It used a round pipe in the carrier to allow it to swivel down for loading. notice it also had casters to move it around. It was used on the back of a Scamp19....
Attached Thumbnails
trike rack for Doris 003.jpg   trike rack for Doris 008.jpg  

trike rack for Doris 010.jpg   trike rack for Doris 014.jpg  

floyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2018, 09:00 AM   #4

Name: Greg
Trailer: 2008 Casita 17' SD
Washington
Registry
Avis,
Your avatar says you have a Casita, but doesn't mention the size, which you may want to include.

If you have a 17 footer, then adding a rear rack would be doable, because the tongue weights on the 17's are generally heavy as it is. If you have either the 13 or 16 footer, then you may have problems with any rear trailer rack due to concerns about making your trailer tongue too light, which would adversely affect your trailer's handling, (i.e. swaying, fishtailing, etc.) Your trailer's tongue weight should be at least 10%, (and 15% would be better,) of the trailer's total weight. Less is just asking for trouble.
Casita Greg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2018, 03:00 PM   #5

Name: AvisJo
Trailer: Casita
Washington
Thanks for the information. I, of course, did not think about this when I bought the trike. Here is a link to what I got second-hand:

https://www.campingworld.com/adventu...-folding-trike

It weighs 63.9 lbs. It folds to 36"L x29 1/2" wide x 29 1/2" H.

My Casita is a 1999 16 footer. Is it best to try to attach a carrying rack to the 16' trailer or the 2015 Toyota Highlander?

Any help you can give would be most appreciated!

Avis
Attached Thumbnails
IMAG2041.jpg  
Avisjo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2018, 07:53 PM   #6

Name: bill
Trailer: 2013 Escape 19
The Mountains of North Carolina
Registry
If you can get it up there a roof rack on the Highlander is a good choice. Lifting it up will be a PITA.
thrifty bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2018, 02:53 AM   #7

Name: Kelly
Trailer: Trails West
Oregon
It might be better to have a basket style rack, it will be a better fit for a folded bike. Put the bike inside a custom size, zippered bag to keep it clean.
Harbor Freight makes a 500lb capacity aluminum basket that is potentially large enough.
k corbin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2018, 06:59 AM   #8

Name: Shelby
Trailer: Casita SD
Tennessee
That will be a challenge, for sure. Maybe fold it, pad and secure it in the aisle of the trailer?
ShelbyM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2018, 07:10 AM   #9

Name: Shelby
Trailer: Casita SD
Tennessee
Another thought, is it really worth the aggravation to bring it along? I've been an enthusiastic cyclist for years but I rarely bring a bike on trailer trips. Sure, sometimes it would be nice to have, but there are issues of exposure to weather if on a rack, moving it around to get to other stuff if stored in the tow vehicle. Just a thought.
ShelbyM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2018, 10:20 AM   #10

Washington
Registry
Adding a 60+ Lb. bike, (or anything else weighing that much,) on the rear of a 16' Casita would be ill advised. Don't forget, you will still need to install a frame mounted receiver hitch, and also the weight of the flatbed carrier to haul the bike on that need to factor into your weight distribution. By the time you have all the components together back there, you've probably added well over 100 Lbs. on the back. With the light tongue weight inherent to the 16 footers, it would seriously affect your ability to control your trailer sway from too little weight on the hitch.
Old 09-26-2018, 01:00 PM   #11

Name: Perry
Trailer: 2016 Bigfoot 25RQ
Lanesboro, Minnesota, between Whalan and Fountain
Quote:
Originally Posted by ShelbyM View Post
Another thought, is it really worth the aggravation to bring it along? I've been an enthusiastic cyclist for years but I rarely bring a bike on trailer trips. Sure, sometimes it would be nice to have, but there are issues of exposure to weather if on a rack, moving it around to get to other stuff if stored in the tow vehicle. Just a thought.
Blasphemy!

"Aggravation" is in the eye of the beholder.

We always carry two ICE trikes wherever we go. For years we carried the trikes in our Odyssey (pulling either a Scamp or Casita). The past couple of years the trikes have been in the back of our F150. With our new 5th wheel Escape we'll be traveling with one folded in the bed of the pickup and one on the rack on the back of the camper. Hopefully I'll figure out how to get another trike in the cab or in the bed of the F150.

Enjoy,

Perry

Previous Eggs -2018 Escape 5.0 TA, 2001 Scamp 16' Side Bath, 2007 Casita 17' Spirit basic, no bath, water or tanks, 2003 Bigfoot 25B25RQ, that we regreted selling
Perryb67 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2018, 01:25 PM   #12

Trailer: 2004 13 ft Scamp Custom Deluxe
Registry
How about a set of removable "training" wheels for a regular bike?It would certainly ride better and easier, and it would transport like a regular bike.
floyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2018, 03:46 PM   #13

Name: John
Trailer: Escape 21, behind an '02 F250 7.3 diesel tug
Mid Left Coast
Quote:
Originally Posted by Casita Greg View Post
Adding a 60+ Lb. bike, (or anything else weighing that much,) on the rear of a 16' Casita would be ill advised. Don't forget, you will still need to install a frame mounted receiver hitch, and also the weight of the flatbed carrier to haul the bike on that need to factor into your weight distribution. By the time you have all the components together back there, you've probably added well over 100 Lbs. on the back. With the light tongue weight inherent to the 16 footers, it would seriously affect your ability to control your trailer sway from too little weight on the hitch.
++10000 on that. the 16's are already tongue light, adding weight 4 feet off the back and they'll probably tip over if not hitched.

trikes are a pain to transport if you can't put them in a truck bed, or the back of a large van or whatever. and doing that requires ramps.
John in Santa Cruz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2018, 10:23 AM   #14

Name: Garry
Trailer: Surf Side
Alberta
Registry
I made a front extension to hold my motorcycle on the front of my Surf Side.
Attached Thumbnails
2017-06-22 15.09.54.jpg  
The_Kramers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2018, 11:32 AM   #15

Name: John
Trailer: Escape 21, behind an '02 F250 7.3 diesel tug
Mid Left Coast
that motorcycle carrier looks really precarious to me, whats to keep it from wobbling side to side??
John in Santa Cruz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2018, 01:30 PM   #16

Name: Perry
Trailer: Casita 17' SD
California
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by John in Santa Cruz View Post
that motorcycle carrier looks really precarious to me, whats to keep it from wobbling side to side??
I see chains underneath and stabilizer bars on the rear but still looks precarious.
EggRoll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2018, 04:52 PM   #17

Alberta
Registry
No problems with it, have done about 10,000 kms with it so far. Even have done a few Km's off road with it. Made out of 2x2x5/16 angle and 2-1/2x2-1/2x1/4 sq tube.

It attaches to existing receiver and bolts in, Takes about 20 minutes to take on/off. When I am not taking the bike I take off the attachment.

Garry
Old 10-06-2018, 09:37 AM   #18

Alberta
Registry
Here it is hooked up.
Attached Thumbnails
20180621_221645.jpg  
Old 10-06-2018, 12:27 PM   #19

Washington
Registry
Boy, to me, that's scary! You have a lot of weight in the middle of that undersized extended trailer tongue. I would be worried about the whole trailer frame collapsing in the middle, or else at the point where most trailer frames fail when they do, right in front of the trailer shell. That doesn't look safe at all, despite however many miles you've gotten away with it. Just my 2 cents.
Old 10-06-2018, 12:55 PM   #20

Alberta
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Casita Greg View Post
Boy, to me, that's scary! You have a lot of weight in the middle of that undersized extended trailer tongue. I would be worried about the whole trailer frame collapsing in the middle, or else at the point where most trailer frames fail when they do, right in front of the trailer shell. That doesn't look safe at all, despite however many miles you've gotten away with it. Just my 2 cents.

I rebuilt the trailer frame.

Garry