What paint do you use? - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 02-28-2016, 07:38 AM   #1

Name: don j
Trailer: amerigo & apache
Wisconsin
Registry
What paint do you use?

I have a 1974 Amerigo. Thinking about painting it in the spring. Someone told me you can paint it with a roller. Anyone have a recommendation of the best paint to use?
donjdart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2016, 09:06 AM   #2

Name: Joe
Trailer: 1973 13' Boler
Ontario
Interlux Brightsides. You can apply using the roll and tip method which will give you a great finish and it's easy to do. Lots of tutorials on youtube.
Cheers
Keaner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2016, 10:06 AM   #3

Name: don j
Trailer: amerigo & apache
Wisconsin
Registry
Thank You

Thank You, I'll post pics when I do it!
donjdart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2016, 10:56 AM   #4

Name: John
Trailer: Unik
Newfoundland
Hi, logged in for the first time, St. John's, NL. Painted my 74 Unik with Rustoleum anti rust gloss paint last summer. Used small styrofoam type rollers. Came out perfect. Preparation was the hardest part, but really necessary. Sanding, cleaning, wiping, etc. Good luck. There are pics of it here somewhere if you look under Unik.
John M
JG Mackey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2016, 12:51 PM   #5

Name: Sylvio
Trailer: 1975 Boler
Quebec
I'm about to paint as well as I finally managed to straigen my door enough...

There seems to be a lot written on the forum about painting. I don't want to open the debate between the two options mentioned this far on this thread, but could some wise and experienced campers post a link to one or two of the best paint threads? That would be useful.

Thanks!
Uncle Cereal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2016, 12:57 PM   #6

Name: Kathleen (Kai: ai as in wait)
Trailer: Amerigo FG-16 1973 "Peanut"
Greater Seattle Metropolitan Area, Washington
Registry
Smile

Not to debate the issue, but to tell you we used Rustoleum Marine white on our smaller fiberglass trailer with a foam roller ("hot dog" roller?) without tipping. Paul tried tipping but the paint settled better when merely rolled. The first coat wasn't as good as we'd hoped, and was a little thin in places (covering dark blue with white), but the second coat self-levelled so beautifully we couldn't believe it. At about $20 a quart it is pricey, but it's also readily available locally without having to drive into Seattle or special order.

We also used old enamel paints and mixed a cadet blue for the inside and bottom half (it's a little shell-style motorcycle trailer) that so far has worked very well.

For the big amerigo, 1973, we're using marine primer (white) and will use a foam roller for two very thin coats in marine white (Rustoleum).

Brightside paint has been suggested by others and sounds like a great product. But this Rustoleum Marine paint was much easier to get hold of here.

Roll and tip is the recommended method, but just using a sponge roller (and having plenty of them--you can wrap them in baggies overnight, but we're not willing to clean them to save them for later)...and two very thin coats worked better for us. So no tipping. Possibly Paul's "touch" wasn't quite right for it.

YMMV

BEST

Our brown trailer--the brown is going, partly because it's too hot, partly because it looks like a rolling "poop" and partly because of the 59 holes Paul has had to fill with fiberglass and bondo all over it.
Attached Images

Old 02-28-2016, 01:13 PM   #7

Name: Sylvio
Trailer: 1975 Boler
Quebec
Also, can someone give us an approximation of how much paint we'll need? Let's say a Boler that will be painted with two different colors, top and bottom...
Uncle Cereal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2016, 02:45 PM   #8

Trailer: bigfoot
Florida
Fiberglass painting

Hey. Go to fgic.com they have everything you need to get the job done. You dont want to do it twice. you can call them & they will be happy to walk you thru it.
John Mohr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2016, 02:50 PM   #9

Trailer: bigfoot
Florida
fiberglass painting

Made a mistake its fgci.com . trans posed the last two.
John Mohr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2016, 08:14 PM   #10

Name: Peter
Trailer: G30 Elite Class C
British Columbia
Quote:
Originally Posted by donjdart View Post
I have a 1974 Amerigo. Thinking about painting it in the spring. Someone told me you can paint it with a roller. Anyone have a recommendation of the best paint to use?
;Last week I saw a Dodge Class B Van where he did the same thing used Rustoleum Paint it took 3 coats of paint with sanding on the first 2 to make it look like a spray on paint job, he said he used the smaller roller that was made of Foam, I stood 6' back & I could not tell the difference but it looked real nice and this was on Metal. 1988 Dodge Class B.
He also said it was a lot of work getting it ready and as he never had a cover he made a jig for it and covered it with a large tarp to keep the water off and this was a winter paint job in a wet climate.
Stude
stude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2016, 08:17 PM   #11

Name: Peter
Trailer: G30 Elite Class C
British Columbia
Quote:
Originally Posted by donjdart View Post
U might want to see if Rustoleum comes in White Paint Using the rusty colored stuff is very dark and in a hot climate going to get hot inside as it holds the heat, Just a after thought. I know that Tremclad comes in white.
stude
stude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-29-2016, 01:52 AM   #12

Name: Linda
Trailer: Boler 17 ft
Ontario
I know what you mean by roll when painting but what is roll and tip?

Thanks,
Linda
Linda Stewart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-29-2016, 01:28 PM   #13

Registry
Linda,

Probably you'll get ten replies all at once.

Roll and tip:

You roll in one direction and a limited area. You go over the rolled area in the opposite direction with a dry paint brush, using only the tips. to help the pain flatten. So if you roll vertically, you "tip" horizontally.
Old 02-29-2016, 01:36 PM   #14

Registry
Stude,

Hi, YES, Rustoleum "metal" paint comes in white! The METAL PRIMER is one of those "rusty" colors, but the PAINT -- well, you probably have fifteen choices or more, AND you can mix colors.

Rustoleum MARINE paint (more flexible, even, than the metal paint) comes in more limited colors, and good luck finding more than a couple in stock. But WHITE is one of them! And the MARINE PRIMER IS WHITE (slightly warmer than snow-white).

AND you can mix the marine paint as well (I e-mailed the company and asked). YES. BUT if you go outside of the premixed colors, you'll play merry "heck" matching it again later, so measure carefully.

On Shelly, the little motorcycle cargo trailer we used as a learning experience for fiberglass, we put two coats straight Rustoleum MARINE white on the top half, over a very thin coat of marine primer, also white. For the bottom half, I mixed leftover paint we already had: some "safety blue" Rustoleum metal paint, some Rustoleum metals paint black, and a big blob of Rustoleum white metal paint. It turned a very nice cadet blue (slightly gray blue, mid-tone) and we used it inside and on the outside bottom. I have GOT to get some photos of it up.)

(Shelly will have to be completely repainted should we ever need to patch her, we'll never match that exact leftover paint mix.) But that's OK for now!

Two coats of the Rustoleum metal paint and it was good to go. Again, Paul only rolled it, he didn't roll and tip. The top he only rolled, as well, as the MARINE paint self-levelled very nicely.

It's NOT super-shiny, but has a classy kind of dim sheen.
It DOES look like what it is, "fiberglass," not unlike a BOAT, and we've had a LOT of compliments on it already.

PREP is very important...sanding with a proper grit (Paul used 100 for a first sand, and 1000 between coats). Then he wiped it down with acetone and let it dry (fast).

Shelly is small enough he did it all inside the garage. the bigger trailer he's done some tarping to work on it even in the rain...we're not sure quite how we'll do the final paint, possibly he can roll it into the warehouse where he used to work for a weekend--that'd probably do it.

TWO coats of Rustoleum MARINE paint was plenty...we used about 1/2 of a quart on the top half of Shelly for both coats. we barely used any of the primer, as we kept it super thin (Shelly was dark blue when we got her...actually I thought of Shelly as a "boy" trailer, she was all kind of Hell's Angels looking, so now she must be transgendered.)
Old 02-29-2016, 01:52 PM   #15

Name: Borden and Carole
Trailer: 1978 Earlton Ontario boler
Ontario
Registry
We have stayed with gel coat, they have colour tinting kits
Old 02-29-2016, 02:15 PM   #16

Name: Joe
Trailer: 1973 13' Boler
Ontario
Uncle Cereal, I painted mine 'blu glo white' on the top and 'sapphire blue' on the bottom. 2 cans of each - small cans about a quart each - gave me 2 good coats. I used primer as well.
Keaner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2016, 10:18 AM   #17

Trailer: Boler 1984
Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByFiberglass RV1457107687.369315.jpg
Views:	16
Size:	27.9 KB
ID:	93002
Painted with bBrightsides back about 2008, using the roll and tip. The tip with a dry brush is to break any small bubbles made when rolling. The PO had painted the trailer a hideous green to cover up some body work where it appeared a tree branch had scraped the roof. Forum members said at the time that white is the best colour for resale. Haven't regretted it but wear and tare tell me that it may be time to top coat. All my polishing each year has worn through to the undercoat in places.

Sent from my iPad using Fiberglass RV
james kent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2016, 04:28 PM   #18

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by james kent View Post
Attachment 93002
Painted with bBrightsides back about 2008, using the roll and tip. The tip with a dry brush is to break any small bubbles made when rolling. The PO had painted the trailer a hideous green to cover up some body work where it appeared a tree branch had scraped the roof. Forum members said at the time that white is the best colour for resale. Haven't regretted it but wear and tare tell me that it may be time to top coat. All my polishing each year has worn through to the undercoat in places.

Still looks beautiful in the photo. Granted, the "tip" portion makes sense, but maybe Paul's touch was too stringent, as it was giving him streak marks. He did better just rolling it.

Brightside is supposed to be a VERY good choice of paint.

Agree that white is a good resale color...I'd love to do all kinds of fun things with ours, but we're going with plain white top and bottom. Belly band is black now, since PO painted it brown and we're just not up to the effort to get it all off, or the chemicals or whatever. Painting the aluminum strip black was finally just easier.

What color is your belly strip?

Great photo!
Old 03-04-2016, 09:12 PM   #19

The supplier gave me some instructions and showed me what hey we're doing on a boat. The tip is done very lightly hardly touching the surface with a dry, soft bristle brush. The object is to break any bubbles not to scrub the surface. The heavier the coating the more bubbles and bigger runs. A very light coat works best.

Old 03-04-2016, 09:22 PM   #20

What color is your belly strip?

Great photo![/QUOTE]

I used an aluminum mag wheel polish.

Tags
amerigo, paint