What plugin 88 Scamp 13' - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-15-2019, 03:16 PM   #1

Trailer: Trillium 4500
Registry
What plugin 88 Scamp 13'

I just bought a 1988 13' Scamp for my daughter. When I picked it up it had a 7 pin connector on it but none of the lights work. Looking at the wires leading to the plug there is no red or blue. It doesn't have brakes so the lack of a blue is accounted for. I'm starting to wonder if perhaps this was supposed to have a 6 pin connector because of a lack of Red. Anybody who KNOWS for sure please respond. Looking at the diagram for a 6 pin I have all but the blue and there is no red. Thanks
Old 09-15-2019, 04:19 PM   #2

Registry
I found that my original assumption was correct. Fortunately I got all the original manuals with the little Scamp and the owners manual states that those without brakes had 6 pin connectors and those with brakes had 7 pin connectors.
Old 09-15-2019, 04:23 PM   #3

Registry
Here is the section.
Attached Thumbnails
Scamp Wiring.jpg  
Old 09-16-2019, 04:59 PM   #4

Name: Ed
Trailer: Casita 17 ft SD
Colorado
6 pin or 7 pin connector

It doesn't make any difference whether you have a 6 pin or 7 pin connector. If your vehicle is already wired for a 7 pin connector use it.

The problem is the wiring on the trailer. Follow the wiring diagram for the seven pin connector and the wiring diagram for the trailer. If all the wiring is correct, all your lights will work. You will have a pin on the 7 pin connector that will not be used which is OK.
ehoepner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2019, 07:07 AM   #5

Registry
I did get it corrected but it is easier said than done. The number one problem is that the color codes on a 6 pin are different than on a 7 blade. The previous owner hooked the color of the wire to the labeled spot on the 7 blade which is incorrect if you are going from a 6 pin to a 7 blade. They have different colors for different functions. I had to determine which color wire performed which function regardless of color and proceed that way. All's well that ends well.

Tags
scamp