What size converter? - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-26-2011, 11:41 AM   #1

Name: Whaler
Trailer: '89 Bigfoot 17' Gaucho
British Columbia
Registry
What size converter?

Embarking on my 12V crash course .....uhm....NOW!
I'm about to go buy a converter for our Boler today when I'm in the US, and I'm just not sure if I need the 45 or 60 amp option.
Our system is and will continue to be quite simple yet we do have a car stereo installed which I will put on a switch to kill the memory draw. I do intend to install a Fantastic Fan but, I think the 45 amp with charge wizard will suffice well, I'm just not totally sure..... I do only have a single, new, deep cycle battery.
Any thoughts?
Whaler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2011, 12:47 PM   #2

Name: Norm and Ginny
Trailer: Scamp 16
Florida
A 45 is more than adequate.

Norm
honda03842 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2011, 10:28 PM   #3

British Columbia
Registry
Thanks Norm....that's what I thought. Here we go....
Old 03-31-2011, 05:31 PM   #4

Trailer: Boler
Hey Whaler when you get your electrical project going would you mind snapping a few photos for my reference. I have a 76 boler that needs a total electrical re-do and i'm looking at buying the progressive dynamics 45 amp unit. It would be appreciated. Thanks and goodluck.

Mike
Michael Collins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2011, 09:47 PM   #5

British Columbia
Registry
You bet, I'll have some help with it so it'll be a proper reference for anyone else hoping to upgrade too.
I bought these items in Washington for a combined $200 cheaper than they were at an RV shop in Vancouver.
Attached Thumbnails
IMG_4296.jpg   IMG_4297.jpg  

Old 04-01-2011, 02:26 PM   #6

Trailer: U-Haul VT16
Registry
The local RV place here in Redwood City is crazy expensive. Most stuff is exactly twice the average web prices on stuff. I think they have a captive audience with 3 RV parks down the road and people who just need stuff now have to pay the prices.

Regards,

Matt

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whaler View Post
You bet, I'll have some help with it so it'll be a proper reference for anyone else hoping to upgrade too.
I bought these items in Washington for a combined $200 cheaper than they were at an RV shop in Vancouver.
Old 04-03-2011, 12:24 PM   #7

Trailer: 2005 19 ft Scamp 19 ft 5th Wheel
Registry
How large a converter do you need? Start by figuring just how much power your trailer can use with everything turned on:
03.0A furnace
15.0A 10 incandescent light bulbs
01.8A Fantastic Fan
02.0A TV set
00.5A Car Stereo
13.0A 100 watt inverter running at 100%
------
35.3A Total

That's with EVERYTHING running at full bore. Now remember your converter is part of a larger electrical power system. Your battery can act as a buffer for those rare occasions when you actually do have everything switched on, and most of the time you probably won't be running your inverter and everything else at full speed. For the scenario I just outlined 30A is quite sufficient.
peterh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2011, 05:20 PM   #8

British Columbia
Registry
That's great info Peterh, thank you.
Old 04-04-2011, 04:33 PM   #9

Trailer: 1980 Burro
Quote:
Originally Posted by Whaler View Post
Any thoughts?
One reason to choose an oversize converter is to reduce fan noise. Many converters have a fan for cooling. The fan will run less with a higher rated converter than a smaller converter if they are both supplying the same amount of power.
Andy B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2011, 12:55 PM   #10

Trailer: Bigfoot 19 ft
Quote:
Originally Posted by peterh View Post
How large a converter do you need? Start by figuring just how much power your trailer can use with everything turned on:
03.0A furnace
01.8A Fantastic Fan
02.0A TV set
00.5A Car Stereo
------
35.3A Total

That's with EVERYTHING running at full bore.
Great post!

How do you calculate the inverter usage? I have a 300 watt inverter which I current use for my radio, and (on occasion) to charge my electrical equipment.

Also, I'm in the process of switching to incandescent light bulbs. If everything is on - including the porch light - we're talking about 7 lights.

I'm having the hardest time trying to decide on an entertainment system. I'm currently using an very old (12 volt) radio, which needs to be upgraded to something that sounds decent, will utilize my i-pod and provide FM reception. I use my 300 watt inverter for that radio. But it does seem to drain the battery.

I originally thought about a Car Stereo system. However, installation would be expensive. They would have to cut holes in the wood cabinets and wiring would be problematic if I want more than 2 speakers in the cabin.

The next option would be for a bookcase size "boom box" which would allow me to use my I-pod and include an FM radio. These can provide great sound , (for a little less $$ than a car stereo system), but don't require installation. However, they take a lot of watts (45-100) and do require a inverter.

Thanks
JP
Old 04-07-2011, 04:05 PM   #11

Trailer: U-Haul VT16
Registry
Peter, why do you run an inverter off the output of your converter? I will accept any answer except, "to plug in another converter!"

BTW, One benefit of larger converters is that you can charge your batteries faster and unplug the AC or shut off the generator sooner.

Regards,

Matt

Quote:
Originally Posted by peterh View Post
03.0A furnace
01.8A Fantastic Fan
02.0A TV set
00.5A Car Stereo
------
35.3A Total

That's with EVERYTHING running at full bore. Now remember your converter is part of a larger electrical power system. Your battery can act as a buffer for those rare occasions when you actually do have everything switched on, and most of the time you probably won't be running your inverter and everything else at full speed. For the scenario I just outlined 30A is quite sufficient.