What size refrigerator do you use? - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 01-17-2015, 04:09 PM   #1

Name: CIndy
Trailer: 82' Scamp 13
North Carolina
What size refrigerator do you use?

We are new '82 Scamp 13 owners and we are planning on adding a new refrigerator during the reno. We've never owned a camper before, only tent camped with a average size cooler. We are trying to decide if we would be good with the 1.7 cu. ft. mini-fridge or if we should bump up to the next size, 2.6 cu. ft. If we use the smaller size we think we can add a drawer over it, so that's a big bonus.

So my question is what size does everyone use/need/recommend?. What all do you put in there? (I know room for a bottle of wine is a must! :-)

Thanks!
Cmtravels is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2015, 05:10 PM   #2

Trailer: Class A Motorhome
By "Mini-Fridge" are you installing a regular RV 2 or 3 way refrigerator or what is commonly called a 120 VAC "Dorm Fridge" or a 12VDC compressor fridge. In many respects that can a more important decision than size.

That said, we have used the 3 way, Dometic RM2193 in two 13' FGRV's and, because it does not waste space with a basically useless freezer section, it provides a lot of useful cooling space in it's 1.9 cubic foot capacity. The one in our Hunter-II is now about ten years old and will freeze the milk if one isn't careful.
Google RM2193 for some pics of the inside.

Bob Miller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2015, 06:10 PM   #3

Name: Martin
Trailer: Boler
Ontario
We put a Truck Fridge TF65 in our 13ft Boler and used it for a two week road trip this past September. It served the two of us very well.

Sent from my iPad using Fiberglass RV
Raff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2015, 07:48 PM   #4

Name: Bobbie
Trailer: boler
British Columbia
Send a message via MSN to Bobbiemae
The bottle of wine comment made me LOL. But if you drink red you won't need a fridge. Ha! Enjoy like I'm hoping. This an excellent forum.
Bobbiemae is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2015, 08:05 PM   #5

Trailer: Escape 17 ft Plan B
Registry
I have a 5 cu ft in my Escape, and although I travel solo, since I sometimes camp away from a source for supplies for 2 weeks or more, the size is useful. Plus it has a fair size freezer.
Jon Vermilye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2015, 09:07 PM   #6

I think that the o.p. was asking about refrigerators that will fit under the counter in a Scamp 13'.

Old 01-17-2015, 09:56 PM   #7

Name: Martin
Trailer: Boler
Ontario
Truck fridge fits under counter in our Boler.

Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByFiberglass RV1421553367.169956.jpg
Views:	35
Size:	93.0 KB
ID:	79778

Sent from my iPad using Fiberglass RV
Raff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2015, 02:08 AM   #8

Name: Dave
Trailer: Casita SD17 2006 "Missing Link"
California
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cmtravels View Post
We are new '82 Scamp 13 owners and we are planning on adding a new refrigerator during the reno. We've never owned a camper before, only tent camped with a average size cooler. We are trying to decide if we would be good with the 1.7 cu. ft. mini-fridge or if we should bump up to the next size, 2.6 cu. ft. If we use the smaller size we think we can add a drawer over it, so that's a big bonus.

So my question is what size does everyone use/need/recommend?. What all do you put in there? (I know room for a bottle of wine is a must! :-)

Thanks!

This is kind of a loaded question as everyone camps differently for food storage. For me I want the largest refer that will fit the space if I had to add or replace one. I wouldn't give up the refer space for a drawer but that's just me. I think you'll find that you will use all the space you have it's available.
I only put food in the refer/freezer, use a cooler for drinks, counts for wine also as it gets opened a lot more often.
As you mention a mini fridge you must be only planning on using park hookups for AC. Have you given any thought to what you're going to do if you should dry camp for cooling? You didn't say if you have LP on board. If you do I would recomend a 2 way AC/LP refer instead of a AC only dorm fridge. I understand there is a fairly large $ difference but you only have to do the mod once but you would now have the option of a refer off the grid.
In 30 years I don't think I've had more than about 30 days with hookups and a slew boondocking, so LP use is a no brainer for how I camp. A number of folks here use solar to run everything and it's works for them. There are a lot of posts you could read on it. I only use solar to keep the battery topped off.
Just my two cents and others will toss their coins in too .
Borrego Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2015, 07:43 AM   #9
Raz

Trailer: Trillium 2010
Hello Cindy and welcome to the forum. Like Dave, we seldom camp with hook ups. We chose the 2193 that Bob mentioned because it requires no DC connection when running on propane, is very reliable, will run for weeks on one 20 lb propane tank, and with no moving parts should last many, many years. That said, if we camped for weeks where there is always power, a dorm fridge is hard to beat. It really depends on what type of camping you plan to do. Good luck, Raz
Raz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2015, 10:31 AM   #10

Name: will
Trailer: 16' Scamp
Wyoming
A Truckfridge TF65 fit into the icebox opening in our '79 Scamp 16 with ease!

Will
Wyowill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2015, 10:38 AM   #11

To answer the OP's question, the truckfridge mentioned is 2.29 cubic feet "Gross" which must be the actual dimensions of the inside box, not counting lost space for the freezer section. Here is a link: TruckFridge Model: TF65 - *Fits most Freightliner Classic, Pete 379 - 70" bunk and Int Eagle with filler strip

List price is about the same as the Dometic RM-2193 3 way mentioned earlier.

Old 01-19-2015, 02:25 PM   #12

North Carolina
Thanks for all the respones! I love this site!! Sorry it took so long for my reply, spent all of yesterday tearing the floor out of the Scamp. mg

Lots to think about. We would love to get a 2 or 3 way fridge, but the new ones are a tad out of budget right now. I've been looking on craiglist, but not even sure a used one is a good idea? Any thoughts on that? Propane scares me a little, even when I light my backpacking stove. Ha. But I guess there could be problems with new ones too.

We mostly tent camp at state parks and we try to get the private back tent spaces which rarely have hook ups. I've never really paid too much attention to the rv sites to see what they have.

Seems like most folks are making do ok with the little size. So I think we will use the old, slightly larger then a dorm one that came with it for now, sacrifice the drawer and hope the craigslist fairies do their magic! (And save space and drink red wine!)

Now back to the floor.....
Old 01-19-2015, 02:49 PM   #13

If you buy a used one, no matter what the price, be sure to see that the cooling circuit is working. Ask the seller to hook it up to 120VAC power at least 12 hours before you get there if possible. It should have a regular cord and plug and it can be set level on a bench, plugged in and turned ON. You can also do this with it still in an RV, just be sure it is level.

If it works on 120 VAC any problems that might turn up with LP are usually fixable. If they say it doesn't work on 120VAC but works on lp, that's OK too as long as they can demonstrate it working on one or the other. It's all about the cooling circuit, not the heating method.

If you are told that it "Just Needs a Recharge" walk away, you don't recharge these refrigerators like compressor refs. That usually means that it has been used out of level and the cooling circuit is clogged of there is a hole in the tubing and it has bled down to air. If it is a Dometic, and the tin cover over the boiler is "Square Edged" it's an early refrigerator and much more susceptible to clogging when used when not real level. Those with Curved covers are a later design and less prone to the problem.

Inverting these to fix the problem is temporary in 98% of attempts, don't buy it.....

Best is to find one in a wrecked or trashed RV, those that have been removed were usually removed because they don't work well, if at all, any more.

Look in Craigs List for someone parting out a trailer or a slide-in camper, both are good sources. My current one came out of a Scamper camper that fell off it's stand. Cost $50, works perfect.

Good Luck

Old 01-26-2015, 04:57 PM   #14

North Carolina
Bob,
All good info to know! Wow $50. that's amazing!! I've a call in to a local dealer/repair place waiting for a call back. Hopeful one will turn up soon.
Old 01-26-2015, 06:07 PM   #15

Basically they usually don't "Repair" these refrigerators. It has a cooling system that's not field serviceable when it fails and a total cooling circuit replacement is called for.

Dealers/service peeps know what they are worth. Scan all of the area Craigslist'[s every day under RV's for sale, parts are often listed there.

Old 01-26-2015, 06:32 PM   #16

Name: Eric
Trailer: Scamp 13
Michigan
We installed a Norcold 2.7 cubic foot in place of the ice box in our scamp 13. We love it and would do it again. Fairly simple installation. No holes/vents in the outside of the trailer. Reasonably roomy for the size. It held food for a family of 5 including a couple of teenagers for a few days using our style of camping. Works great in a variety of weather. We tend to travel, stop, travel, camp overnight (sometimes with power). We let it sit in Las Vegas in the summer sun for 12+ hours and had no issues.
ericw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2015, 06:53 PM   #17

North Carolina
What size refrigerator do you use?

I'll check it out. I like the no holes! We are repairing a huge whole in the next day or two and I cringe at cutting another one in it.

I think the small one will work for us. We dehydrate a lot of meals before we head out on extended trips. :-)

Sent from my phone using Fiberglass RV
Old 01-26-2015, 08:02 PM   #18

Norcold Ref

Quote:
Originally Posted by ericw View Post
We installed a Norcold 2.7 cubic foot in place of the ice box in our scamp 13. We love it and would do it again. Fairly simple installation. No holes/vents in the outside of the trailer. Reasonably roomy for the size. It held food for a family of 5 including a couple of teenagers for a few days using our style of camping. Works great in a variety of weather. We tend to travel, stop, travel, camp overnight (sometimes with power). We let it sit in Las Vegas in the summer sun for 12+ hours and had no issues.
NO VENT... meaning it's all electric with a compressor? 12 VDC or 120VAC or both.

Old 01-26-2015, 08:26 PM   #19

Name: Eric
Trailer: Scamp 13
Michigan
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Miller View Post
NO VENT... meaning it's all electric with a compressor? 12 VDC or 120VAC or both.
Correct. Our Norcold (model DE-0751 I think) is all electric with both 12VDC and 120VAC.
ericw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2015, 08:39 PM   #20

WOW, that looks nice, here's a link: DE-0751 Marine

Tags
refrigerator