What to put on bare fiberglass ceiling? - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-19-2020, 06:17 PM   #1

Name: Emma
Trailer: Cloud 9
Minneapolis
What to put on bare fiberglass ceiling?

Hello, I just bought a '72 Cloud 9 fiberglass trailer, and it's half double-walled half-single-walled (bare fiberglass strip on ceiling and front and back sides). I'm wondering what is best to install on the bare fiberglass? I've seen people suggesting either reflectix + marine carpeting or ensolite -- any insight into what might be easiest and least expensive for a total renovation newbie like myself?
Emma T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2020, 07:08 PM   #2

Name: Rick
Trailer: . 1976 Triple E Surfside
Saskatchewan
Quote:
Originally Posted by Emma T View Post
Hello, I just bought a '72 Cloud 9 fiberglass trailer, and it's half double-walled half-single-walled (bare fiberglass strip on ceiling and front and back sides). I'm wondering what is best to install on the bare fiberglass? I've seen people suggesting either reflectix + marine carpeting or ensolite -- any insight into what might be easiest and least expensive for a total renovation newbie like myself?
I am in the same boat. I think I am going to go with Reflectix and a cover.
Old 05-19-2020, 09:28 PM   #3

Minneapolis
What kind of cover? Like, carpeting?
Old 05-20-2020, 05:26 AM   #4

Name: Carl
Trailer: LiL Hauley
Syracuse, NY
I installed reflectix in my Lil Hauley. I covered the flat wall areas with luan glued to countertop laminate which is held on by trim. I glued and screwed 1/4 inch maple plywood on the ceiling. And I glued vinyl I picked up from Joann Fabrics to the curved surfaces. I glued the vinyl with 3m 90 spray adhesive. There may be a better value adhesive. You can find pictures in 'LiL Hauley build out'
Old 05-20-2020, 06:58 AM   #5

Name: Jon
Trailer: 2008 Scamp 13 S1
Arizona
Registry
Reflectix has very little insulating value when used in a sandwich. It is intended to be used as a radiant barrier. It is used by several manufacturers because it is relatively inexpensive and easy to work with. For a bit better performance, you can use un-faced closed cell foam instead of Reflectix with the marine headliner over it. I like the soft-touch surface of the headliner, and the nap creates a little insulating value of its own.

Realistically, since we're typically only talking about 1/4" of material, the added value of foam over Reflectix probably isn't worth the added cost and installation difficulty for most people. Reflectix plus headliner works well enough in practice as long as you don't camp in extremes of heat and cold.

You can also still buy vinyl-faced closed cell foam- a modern version of Ensolite- if you prefer a wipeable surface. I just haven't been able to find a source that isn't black. There must be one out there somewhere, because Escape uses an off-white version in its trailers. Someone was selling a large roll recently in the classifieds. Don't know if it's still available.
Jon in AZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2020, 09:11 AM   #6

Name: Mike
Trailer: Bigfoot
Alberta
Fiberglass

When you make your choice .sand the panels with 80 grit this will help with the glue to stick.
MAP 56 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2020, 09:18 AM   #7

Minneapolis
Thanks all, this is super helpful. I'm going to go with reflectix and a marine fabric liner -- and am wondering if you have any thoughts on carpeting vs vinyl. I found this vinyl that has the exact color I'm looking for. Does anyone know of any possible problems with vinyl that I should be concerned about?

Really appreciating all your advice, I've never done anything like this before!
Old 05-20-2020, 04:37 PM   #8
tua

Name: Traveler
Trailer: Happier Camper
Utah
Insulated Spray

I think you also have to consider your climate and what type of weather you will camp in.

In rain, snow, and cold you will be thanking yourself for insulating.

Reflectix, while it may not be that great at insulating in a colder climate, it might be fine in a milder one.

Also Reflectix will stop the condensation, water drops and constant wiping (unless the condensation rolls down the sides from the ceiling).

Another option to consider is an insulated spray. I currently have this on my ceiling and am quite pleased with it. Camping in a mild climate there is no noticeable difference but camping in cold, rain and snow, it does the job of keeping it warm, and with no condensation.
tua is offline   Reply With Quote