What to put on small hole -outer portion of fiberglass - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Fiberglass RV > Maintenance | Restoration | Modifications | Problem Solving > Problem Solving | Owners Helping Owners
Click Here to Login
Register Registry FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 11-19-2015, 12:06 PM   #1

Name: Bryan
Trailer: Scamp
Northern California
What to put on small hole -outer portion of fiberglass

There is a small hole/crack on the outer portion (gel coat?) just above the belly band of our scamp.I am curious what kind of goop/ sealant to put on it? I have some 3m 4200, some dap lap sealant some other caulk as well as quick fix for surfboard ding repair ( a mix of fiberglass and resin). Any suggestions on what to use? The hole is about a quarter inch thick and the whole star fracture of the outer coating is about an inch
HAPPYSCAMPER76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2015, 01:55 PM   #2

Name: Martin
Trailer: 1993 CASITA 16SD
Texas
I like white JB Weld.
CASITA BANANA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2015, 02:01 PM   #3

Name: Dave
Trailer: Casita SD17 2006 "Missing Link"
California
How about giving us a pic ?
Borrego Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2015, 10:27 PM   #4

Name: Bryan
Trailer: Scamp
Northern California
Here are some Photos

Here are some photos. Any additional suggestions are much appreciated. The white stuff on top of the bellyband is just older caulk

Bryan
Attached Thumbnails
IMG_0854.jpg   IMG_0856.jpg  

IMG_0855.jpg  
HAPPYSCAMPER76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2015, 07:17 AM   #5

Name: George
Trailer: 1997 16' Scamp
Michigan
It looks like you just have some gelcoat chipped away. I'm guessing there is no structural weakness or cracking that extends behind the belly band.
I think the white JB Weld suggested is the simplest fix.
Remove any loose gelcoat with a dremel or a bit of sandpaper, wash with acetone and tape the area off to leave a pleasant geometric pattern. The stuff will not match perfectly and an irregular splotch jumps out more than a nice triangle or shape you choose.
If your really fussy you can buy white gelcoat which will not match perfectly either but it will wet sand, buff out and blend a bit better.
varmint is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2015, 11:29 AM   #6
Raz

Trailer: Trillium 2010
I'm a fan of PC-11 epoxy paste but I suspect the JB Weld would work just as well. West Marine sells a gelcoat repair kit if that's a direction you'd rather go. I've never tried it but have read that getting the color to match is challenging. Raz

WEST MARINE Gelcoat Repair Kit | West Marine
Raz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2015, 01:41 AM   #7

Name: Denece
Trailer: Compact II
California
Registry
I have used the West Marine gel coat repair. It makes a nice cosmetic fix for dings. Make sure the color matches!

Sent from my iPad using Fiberglass RV
Denece is offline   Reply With Quote