What to use to repair fiberglass roof - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-15-2020, 04:10 PM   #1

Name: Roxanne
Trailer: Ventura 1974
Manitoba
What to use to repair fiberglass roof

I need some help on what to exactly use to repair my Ventura roof. There are some minor surface cracks in the gel coat and the previous owner had some type of film over the entire roof, that I scraped off because it was peeling.

Amazon.ca has Liquid Rubber RV Roof Coating Sealant, or is there another brand that would be better?

I am completely new with doing some repairs.

Thank you
Click image for larger version

Name:	Roof Film.jpg
Views:	25
Size:	304.8 KB
ID:	136784
Click image for larger version

Name:	Roof Film 2.jpg
Views:	24
Size:	262.7 KB
ID:	136785
Rox24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2020, 04:46 PM   #2

Name: John
Trailer: 1979 Boler 1700
Michigan
Registry
Normal maintenance for gelcoat is to clean, polish and wax at least annually. If and when the gelcoat has worn to the point that it no longer protects the underlying fiberglass structure, the solution is to apply a new layer of gelcoat or marine paint.
John in Michigan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2020, 08:01 PM   #3

Name: Roxanne
Trailer: Ventura 1974
Manitoba
So I don't need to reseal the roof? Just wax it? What kind of wax?
Rox24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2020, 09:34 PM   #4

Michigan
Registry
I have not waxed my current project (Boler 17). It has paint over the gelcoat. Although I have washed it a few times.

Apparently its best to use a good boat wax. I have read many opinions on this forum regarding best wax to use. Try searching using the search button at the top of this page, specifically the google search box.
Old 08-16-2020, 07:16 AM   #5

Michigan
Registry
EDIT: Posted the following after looking at your pictures more closely.

Typically on a molded fiberglass camper, the exterior surface of the sides and roof are smooth gelcoat, which is the outermost layer of material formed in the mold. Looking at your pictures, the gray roof surface exposed by scraping appears to have a rough texture. This may indicate the gelcoat has worn away, and in that case, I would apply a coating such as marine paint to seal and protect the fiberglass.

My observations are my experience with Trilliums and Bolers. Venturas may be made differently. YMMV
Old 08-16-2020, 08:15 AM   #6

Trailer: 13 ft Boler
Registry
The cracks in the gelcoat are most likely the result of flex in the roof.
Maybe inspect the frame for cracks causing the flex.
I don't know your skill set or budget to comment farther on how to stop the flexing but you need to stop the flexing and repair gelcoat or apply a flexible coating to reseal the roof.
I don't consider the latter a repair but may work
for a while.
Good luck on your endeavor.
Fred
Old 09-09-2020, 10:22 PM   #7
Rmw

Name: Ralph
Trailer: Scamp 13
Texas
I have sort of a rehash topic:
I have a 2004 Scamp 13. When purchased it had a large Coleman AC on the roof. The roof is sagging at least an inch. I will be putting in braces and possibly replacing the AC with a mini split or possibly a portable unit. From what I've read here the braces need to be epoxied in place. What kind of epoxy? Will a plastic epoxy work?
Thanks,
Ralph Ward
Rmw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2020, 04:26 PM   #8

Name: Steve
California
if it was clean fiberglass gelcoat crack you might try this.
Captain Tolley - Find and Fix Leaks

if you have water coming in then you probably have to pull the vents and reseal them properly and maybe new rivets and caps if you have them in you trailer roof.

normally fiberglass roofs don't leak undamaged or leaks in roof penetrations are poorly sealed. poor penetrations need to be taken apart and properly maintained and not just some kind of goop put on top.
stevebaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2020, 04:29 PM   #9

Name: Steve
California
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rmw View Post
I have sort of a rehash topic:
I have a 2004 Scamp 13. When purchased it had a large Coleman AC on the roof. The roof is sagging at least an inch. I will be putting in braces and possibly replacing the AC with a mini split or possibly a portable unit. From what I've read here the braces need to be epoxied in place. What kind of epoxy? Will a plastic epoxy work?
Thanks,
Ralph Ward
look to west marine they have everything to help you with the problem. even tutorials.
stevebaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2020, 08:48 PM   #10
Rmw

Name: Ralph
Texas
Thank you
Rmw is offline   Reply With Quote