What to use to seal furnace vent? - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-25-2022, 07:35 AM   #1

Name: Matt
Trailer: trillium
MI
What to use to seal furnace vent?

I've searched all over and its probibly so obvious that no one asks. The previous owner removed the gravity furnace from my 1300 and I am putting it back in.

To seal the vent to the body do I just use butyl tape? Anything supposed to seal the screen/cover to the inner vent? Thanks alot for any help!
c6matt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2022, 08:53 AM   #2

Trailer: 2000 Scamp 16 ft Side Dinette
If it was me, I would be looking all over for documentation from the manufacturer. This has the potential to kill you in more than one way, so do it properly. Have you checked the document center? https://www.fiberglassrv.com/forums/downloads.php

Good Luck!

--Dan Meyer
Dan Meyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2022, 09:40 AM   #3

MI
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan Meyer View Post
If it was me, I would be looking all over for documentation from the manufacturer. This has the potential to kill you in more than one way, so do it properly. Have you checked the document center? https://www.fiberglassrv.com/forums/downloads.php

Good Luck!

--Dan Meyer
Thanks Dan, the linked documents call out to apply Mastic to that exterior flange, but that could be many different products, right?
Attached Thumbnails
gjgh.JPG  
Old 07-25-2022, 01:23 PM   #4

Name: Dave W
Trailer: Trillium 4500 - 1976, 1978, 1979, 1300 - 1977, and a 1973
Alberta
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by c6matt View Post
I've searched all over and its probibly so obvious that no one asks. The previous owner removed the gravity furnace from my 1300 and I am putting it back in.

To seal the vent to the body do I just use butyl tape? Anything supposed to seal the screen/cover to the inner vent? Thanks alot for any help!
I have used standard butyl tape, (the grey stuff) in this application. The exterior vent has a hot exhaust that is surrounded by the combustion air intake. the flange does not get hot.
David Tilston is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2022, 05:08 AM   #5

MI
Quote:
Originally Posted by David Tilston View Post
I have used standard butyl tape, (the grey stuff) in this application. The exterior vent has a hot exhaust that is surrounded by the combustion air intake. the flange does not get hot.
Thanks, I figured if it was cool enough for the directcontact with the fiberglass, the butyl would work, really weird I could not find anyone talking about it on this board. appreciate the response.
Old 07-26-2022, 09:27 AM   #6

Name: John
Trailer: Bigfoot 25 RQ
Ohio
I think Escape uses pro flex on the external furnace vent
oldwave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2022, 11:54 AM   #7

Trailer: Escape 17 ft Plan B
Registry
When I had my furnace reinstalled, the mobile repairman used butyl tape between the black plastic piece and the fiberglass, and nothing on the outer chrome section. Escape used for flex on the chrome to fiberglass joint, but the repairman felt the butyl tape on the inside was all that was necessary. No leaks so far, and a lot easier to remove.
Jon Vermilye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2022, 06:56 AM   #8

MI
Thanks everyone for the responses!

Tags
furnace