What type of sealant is best for exterior waterproofing? - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 11-26-2021, 05:06 PM   #1

Name: Heather
Trailer: Trail Mite
Michigan
Registry
What type of sealant is best for exterior waterproofing?

I'm looking to seal some exterior screws and rivets and the tail lights, water inlet, etc with some sort of sealant. I've read to use silicone and I've read to not ever use it. So, I'm looking to find out what type (even a brand) of sealant to use for these silly things? I am using the self leveling lap sealant on my vents, though this doesn't seem like the kind of product I should use on vertical surfaces. So fire away and let me hear what type of exterior sealant you use to seal up the smaller areas. Also, can I apply it in the cold. I'd like to stop a few small leaks now (30 degrees).
Mitten Mitsie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2021, 07:52 AM   #2

Trailer: Predom Prespol (N126N) Captain
Registry
We were advised never to use silicone but rather use butyl caulking. It doesn't separate and peel off.
Jennifer Minogue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2021, 09:03 AM   #3

Name: sven
Trailer: Casita
FL
3m adhesives have a great guide on their products applications. Sorry on my phone so no link , but I found it years ago on a hotrod forum.
mosquito13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2021, 09:47 AM   #4

Trailer: Bigfoot 13.5 ft 1987
Registry
I agree with NOT using silicone. I did work similar to what you are attempting. I used ProFlexRV, flexible sealant, by Geocel. It comes in different colours. The almond matched my Bigfoot. It is paintable too.
John DM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2021, 11:46 AM   #5

Name: Ron
Trailer: 2001 Casita 17' SD
IN
The ProFlexRV is a good product. I use it but mainly butyl tape, although it requires removing the screw, taillight or whatever you are sealing to apply it. Butyl tape is a compression seal but works very well.
If just going over screw heads or around a edge just use the ProFlex.
Motoboss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2021, 07:41 PM   #6

Name: Heather
Trailer: Trail Mite
Michigan
Registry
Butyl and Sealant

So if I use butyl, I don't need additional sealant? Like around my vents I put butyl, but I was under the impression that I should still us Lap Sealant.
Mitten Mitsie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2021, 10:32 AM   #7

Name: Ron
Trailer: 2001 Casita 17' SD
IN
I use the ProFlex exclusively but if around a bigger joint, Dicor a lap sealant would work as well.
I use the ProFlex on the fridge vent, around the exterior lights and over rivets without issues.
Motoboss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2021, 09:20 PM   #8

Name: Terry
Trailer: Gulfstream
Memphis
First, Never use silicone on a RUBBER ROOF; (DICOR SAYS it will NOT properly adhere). I have NOT been real happy w/ silcone algae/ mildew resistance on vertical? LEXEL CRYSTAL CLEAR (w/ masking tape and gloves and smoothing tool) is gonna be MY next experiment, but again, read NOT for rubber roof. DICOR NO-SAG for vertical and DICOR SELF LEVELING for roof is recommended. There are some other brands, talk w/ local RV dealers Part counters?
THene1713 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2022, 03:46 PM   #9

Name: Perri
Trailer: Scamp
Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by Motoboss View Post
I use the ProFlex exclusively but if around a bigger joint, Dicor a lap sealant would work as well.
I use the ProFlex on the fridge vent, around the exterior lights and over rivets without issues.
How about for redoing sealer on belly band?
Bayou Belle is offline   Reply With Quote