What type of tow vehicle for Scamp 5th with 3" factory lift? - Page 2 - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-01-2018, 12:28 PM   #21

Trailer: 2004 13 ft Scamp Custom Deluxe
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by KristiS View Post
My husband called Scamp. According to Scamp only 3 trucks will not work: Chevy Avalanche, Honda Ridgeline and a Ford truck that I can't remember. They also said that as long as the height from ground to the top of the truck side does not exceed 58" it will work.
The Ford SporTrac is the other one. Scamp doesn't provide or endorse a hitch for them, but of course it can be done, has been done, and done well.
I have seen a Ridgeline with a nice set-up towing a Scamp19. It even had trunk access. There hasn't been a SporTrac since 2012 and even now a used Adrenalin will cost nearly the price of a new truck.
I like the new Ranger for the job.
floyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2018, 02:23 PM   #22
PBK

Name: Paul
Trailer: Scamp
California
I too have an EcoDiesel 4x4 and I'm considering purchasing a Scamp 19. Would you mind taking some pics of your current hitch set up? Also, how was your Scamp lifted? Can you post pictures of both please and any other recommendations you have. Thanks!
PBK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2018, 07:54 AM   #23

Name: Jon
Trailer: 2008 Scamp 13 S1
Arizona
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by PBK View Post
I too have an EcoDiesel 4x4 and I'm considering purchasing a Scamp 19. Would you mind taking some pics of your current hitch set up? Also, how was your Scamp lifted? Can you post pictures of both please and any other recommendations you have. Thanks!
This thread is from 2016, and I'm not sure jfleming is still engaged, so I'll venture a response...

The 3" lift is a factory option. Scamp welds a piece of 3" frame rail under the existing frame and mounts the axle to that.

A phone call to Scamp will help you determine whether your truck needs the standard or optional raised suspension. They'll give you a range of acceptable bed rail heights for each. Unless your truck has an aftermarket lift, one or the other should work without additional modification. I'll guess it's the raised suspension, based on jfleming's post. If you're going to shop used, I think you'll find a lot of newer Scamp 19's already have the lift.

The Scamp 19 hitch is a proprietary ball mount that attaches to a set of standard Reese rails mounted in the bed. I believe it has some height adjustment. It will work with short box configurations but may have to be positioned aft of the axle. That's not a big deal because the pin weight is relatively light on a Scamp.

You can find pictures by doing a "Site Search/Google" (bottom of the search menu) on "Scamp 19 hitch." Note that Scamp used to supply a different, non-removable hitch that bolted directly to the truck. Some older posts may show the old-style hitch. Don't know when they changed.

I believe Anderson makes an in-bed ball mount that works, too. Cast aluminum, I believe, simple, light, and elegant, but pricey.

You could also try sending a private message or e-mail to jfleming. That might generate a notification that would get his attention. If you click on his user name, you'll get a drop-down menu with contact options.

Best wishes! A Ram Ecodiesel and Scamp 19 ought to make an economical, easy-towing pair.
Jon in AZ is online now   Reply With Quote

Tags
scamp