What wire for fantastic fan?!!!!! - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-04-2006, 06:08 PM   #1

Trailer: 1996 Casita Spirit Deluxe 17 ft
Okay folks, I was quite proud of myself when installing a FF I used a clothes hanger to neatly route the wire from the vent hole to the back of my 96 Casita SD I continued to be proud as I superbly installed the new FF in the vent hole by a combination of screws and rivets. Also with some glee I did a great job of wiring up the fan, only then to flip the switch and see nothing happen! Okay, it was 50 degrees outside, so the thermostat must be shutting off the ban. Soooo, I used a hair dryer to heat up the sensor a bit. What happened? Burned out the fan fuse! Tried it again and the same thing happened.

Could any of you kind folks tell me to what wires I need to connect to in the back of the Casita? I have presently attached white to white (ground) and black to pink (which may be the refrigerator wire). I thought I was safe since the back light over the dinning table (appears) to run on pink and white.

Sure would like to see the fan blades turn
TonyL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2006, 07:36 PM   #2

Trailer: Boler (B1700RGH) 1979
If "the fan fuse" means the fuse built into the Fantastic Fan, there must have been power supplied to the fan to burn out the fuse. A circuit which cannot supply enough current would be a problem, but this circuit used must have been able to supply enough power. I can see how reversed wiring polarity might blow the fan fuse when it triggered on, but unless Casita is doing things very strangely the white-to-white assignment seems reasonable.

If it were my trailer, I would use a voltmeter to confirm that the pink wire is +12VDC relative to the white wire, and confirm in the fan installation instructions that white is ground and black is power.

I would also try taking the fan off (I assume it readily lifts out of the permanently installed housing, like the MaxxFan), taking to a power source (the battery), and temporarily hooking up power (wires with clips or whatever). If it doesn't work there, it's not going to in the ceiling, and maybe it's defective.

My fan is MaxxFan, not a Fantastic Fan, but I would be surprised if I could not trigger the fan to run by just turning the thermostat knob cooler, even at 50 deg F. The factory specs say its range is "20 degrees F to 120 degrees F".
Brian B-P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2006, 09:26 PM   #3

Thanks for the tips Brian. I think the fan is probably defective. Just my luck! I'll contact FF Monday and see what they have to say.
Old 03-04-2006, 10:41 PM   #4

Trailer: Boler 13 ft 1972
Unlike house wiring, in my old ('72) boler, white is positive and black is ground. It's possible you have it cross-wired. I'd check your power source with a meter or light and make sure you have it wired correctly. My fantastic fan works flawlessly, and has been a great addition to the remodeling projects. A good exhaust fan when cooking, cooling fan on hot days, and, well, defumigator.
Lance MacArthur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2006, 06:31 PM   #5

I contacted Fantastic Vent today and the technician people were a great help. I feel sure I can quickly get the fan running the next opportunity I have time to work with it.