What's important in fridge venting? Why am I doing this? - Page 2 - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-13-2019, 10:19 AM   #21

Name: Bob
Trailer: 2019 16' Scamp; tow vehicle: 2010 Ford Escape V6
Michigan
Our brand new 2019 16'Scamp has the proper roof venting for the fridge, BUT the space that the fridge occupies is NOWHERE NEAR sealed! When the roof fan is on exhaust the outside air POURS in around the fridge.
Keweenaw Bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2019, 11:52 AM   #22

Name: Z
Trailer: Sasquatch
Montana
Sounds like something to contact Scamp about. It's not uncommon for new trailers to need a few mistakes fixed.
ZachO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2019, 03:19 PM   #23

Name: Mike
Trailer: U Haul
Washington
Seal Fridge Box

It is important to follow the instructions that came with your fridge. Not only can Carbon Monoxide from the flame cause serious injury or death to the occupants, but if an LP leak develops you don't want that coming back into the living space. Take the time to carefully construct the barrier as required by the instructions, you'll be much happier in the long run. Check that barrier once a year for degradation.

Get an RV qualified Carbon Monoxide detector and mount it at an upper level in your rig. CO tends to rise. Household CO detectors won't work well because they can't withstand the bouncing around in a small RV.

Hardwire in an LP leak detector and mount it near the floor, as LP tends to be heavier and will start filling a space from the bottom.

Do not rely on either of these to make up for the lack of a well sealed install on the fridge.
Lakeaffect is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2019, 05:55 PM   #24

Trailer: Escape 17 ft
You will find the instructions for mounting a CO detector recommend about 30-36" above the floor ( about where your nose is when asleep ). CO disperses evenly. Mine is a portable unit which can sit on any counter.
Old 03-16-2019, 10:44 PM   #25

Trailer: 1972 Boler American and 1979 Trillium 4500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bryan L. View Post
How do you construct box larger than the fridge and then get it through a smaller fridge-sized hole? This was definitely a bigger project than anticipated to add this after it has left the factory. This might explain why there are very few, if any, tutorials on how to exactly go about doing this. It's a royal PITA.

I used tongue and groove flooring to build a separating wall inside the cabinet one strip at a time. I used 2 vertical supports on opposite sides / ends to hold it all together.

These threads I posted a while ago might give you some ideas.
Restoring Our 1972 Boler American

Improving fridge venting

Since they are old threads, pictures and linked topics might be missing/broken due to the numerous changes on this site over the years.

On edit: wow this site is getting funky. I really had to work around automatic mis-naming of links.
Roy in TO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2019, 06:32 AM   #26

Trailer: 1991 Scamp 16 ft
Thank you all for your advice, either in private messages or here. I found the baffle diagrams helpful and will incorporate those into my install. Lots of good info here!

1991 Scamp 16'
Bryan L. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2019, 10:11 AM   #27

Name: Z
Trailer: Sasquatch
Montana
Yeah sounds like you've got bigger problems right now!

When you get back to it, let us know.
ZachO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2019, 01:01 PM   #28

Name: Borden and Carole
Trailer: 1978 Earlton Ontario boler
Ontario
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by ARVZ View Post
Current research finds that Carbon Monoxide (CO) combustion byproduct can cause permanent neurological damage at concentrations near 10 ppm. Your standard hardware store CO monitors will alarm on a concentration/time gradient starting around 250 ppm. Unless you buy a higher quality CO monitor that alarms at 10-15 ppm, you may never know that you are being poisoned. CO alarms like the CO-Experts that are used in airplane cabins are a great idea for trailers as well. Kids are especially sensitive to damage from low CO levels. We can also get a problematic dose of CO standing over a propane range burner while cooking, but at least we are aware of how long we have been there.

It is worth whatever effort is needed to seal off the trailer cabin from any CO source when possible. Ventilating the cabin when cooking is essential.
I thought that propane gas and Co2 alarm system was now mandatory retrofit; at least in Canada. Also trailer breakaway switch for those with electric brakes.
We have firemen come each year locally to check on these thing in our area. They also come and check our house for gas, Co2, and smoke detectors each year.
Old 03-17-2019, 05:18 PM   #29

Trailer: Escape 17 ft
CO2 is carbon dioxide. You exhale it.
CO is carbon monoxide. You don't want to breathe it.

Tags
fridge