wheel locks - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 11-29-2019, 06:58 PM   #1

Trailer: 1976 Boler 13 ft
Registry
wheel locks

What type of locks do most people use? I want something more than my hitch lock. I almost bought one today but it wouldnt fit. Which ones fit bolers? Would this type work (attached) I am looking for used. Thanks
Attached Thumbnails
trailer lock.jpg  
cyndi H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2019, 07:01 PM   #2

Registry
Ive also heard that this kind can snap. Has anyone else?
Old 11-29-2019, 07:07 PM   #3

Name: Kelly
Trailer: Trails West
Oregon
if you go to youtube you will see reviews done on the various models of wheel locks. Be sure to look at the ones that show how easy they are or are not for a thief to remove them. It is a real eye opener to watch the videos where they show how easy it is to remove some of the brands of wheel locks.

Also do the same thing for the locks that keep the coupler secured and the locks that keep the bar locked into the hitch receiver.
k corbin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2019, 07:37 PM   #4

Registry
Thanks. I am debating taking the wheels off for the winter but that will just postpone it. I will have to buy once the wheels get on again
Old 11-29-2019, 09:44 PM   #5

Name: Jack L
Trailer: Sold the Bigfoot 17-Looking for a new one
Washington
The type of wheel you have determines if a wheel lock will fit. If you post a photo of your wheel, it would be a big help.
Jack L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2019, 07:34 PM   #6

Name: Kelly
Trailer: Trails West
Oregon
some folks just use a heavy duty chain (that can't be cut through with bolt cutters) through the wheels with a very good quality padlock. The chain has to be run through a hole in the rim and through the spring as well. Of course it won't work if you have solid rims that have no holes in them.

I don't know for sure I have never tried doing that but I have seen many comments in forums saying it works better than the commercial wheel locks.
It also prevents the wheels themselves from being stolen which sometimes happens because someone needs new tires and wheels for their trailer or to sell for quick cash. This is the method I plan on using, cost less than wheel clamps which seem to be fairly easy to defeat.

Of course a thief can defeat most security devices with a batter powered angle grinder in only a few minutes time. Battery powered tools make life easy for someone who intends to steal stuff.

Installing a discreet tracking system with a long battery life is very likely going to be needed for recovery. But that won't help much if the signal has no tower around to transmit to.
k corbin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2019, 11:39 AM   #7

Name: Harold
Trailer: 1975 Scamp, 13-foot
Redding, California
Registry
A determined thief will succeed in stealing your trailer. Even with a wheel lock such as a Denver Boot or Trailer Keeper, and a hitch lock, your trailer can still be winched onto a flat bed trailer.

Having said that, the purpose of security devices is to discourage the casual thief, and slow down the determined thief to increase the chance they will be seen and caught.

Do whatever fits into your comfort zone, and as others have said, have insurance.

-Harold
Doctor Harold is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2019, 01:01 PM   #8

Name: Anthony
Trailer: In the market
California
I thought about wheel locks.

I figured they'd just take the wheel off and install my spare. I ended up getting a tongue lock by Proven Industries. It is stout and pretty tough. So far no one has attempted to steal my trailer, so I don't know if it can stand up or if there is some hidden flaw, but it is stout and strong. Easy enough to install and remove. But spendy.
Yellowjacket is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2019, 01:01 PM   #9

Name: Bill
Trailer: Casita
Oklahoma
This is what i use on my 2018 17' Casita.
Lock and chain.
Wrap around the axial, push through holes in wheel and lock. Vulcan site has a video of someone trying to cut with large bolt cutters. All commercial wrap around locks are easily defeated.
Poly_morphic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2019, 01:23 PM   #10

Name: Mark
Trailer: Casita
Texas
Heavy chain and very strong padlock

I use vinyl coated heavy-guage anchor chain looped through my wheel hub and over the axle. I close the loop with a cut-resistant padlock. I put antitheft lug nuts on each wheel to prevent thieves from removing the wheels. I also put thick security cables through my propane tanks and spare tire, with pad locks on each cable. You won't stop a determined thief but, you can slow-down or deter casual thieves looking for a quick easy score.
Attached Thumbnails
IMG_1218.jpeg  
Wandering-NotLost is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2019, 03:03 PM   #11

Name: Dennis
Trailer: 2017 Escape 17b
PA
I bought a great big yellow boot from camping world for 180 dollars. Like the kind cities use if you don't pay your parking ticket.used it twuce, too much hassle to install and remove.
I'm considering getting a "lowjack" style tracking device.
About 50 dollars for device and 120 a year for cell phone tower monitoring.
Siepierski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2019, 04:19 PM   #12

Name: Carl
Trailer: 2015 Escape 5.0TA
Florida
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Doctor Harold View Post
A determined thief will succeed in stealing your trailer. Even with a wheel lock such as a Denver Boot or Trailer Keeper, and a hitch lock, your trailer can still be winched onto a flat bed trailer.

Having said that, the purpose of security devices is to discourage the casual thief, and slow down the determined thief to increase the chance they will be seen and caught.

Do whatever fits into your comfort zone, and as others have said, have insurance.

-Harold
The Brahma is a nice wheel lock. And while insurance is good and a must have, insurance will not reduce the time that it takes to get your FG trailer replaced, or reimburse you for the time it takes to duplicate any modifications you have made. Nor will provide the opportunity for the scum bags to be caught and locked up. I would still say a GPS tracking device is the best supplement to a good insurance policy.
C&G in FL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2019, 04:21 PM   #13

Name: Harold
Trailer: 1975 Scamp, 13-foot
Redding, California
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by CPW View Post
.........I would still say a GPS tracking device is the best supplement to a good insurance policy.
I agree. it's good advice.

--Harold
Doctor Harold is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2019, 05:12 PM   #14

Name: Judi
Trailer: 16' Scamp
North Carolina
All this talk about theft of trailers and/or their tires has this newbie worried. I just picked up my Scamp this year and luckily live on a farm with security where I have it stored away from prying eyes. How many of you have actually had your tires and/or trailer stolen or personally know someone who has. I don't retire until the end of 2020, so mine will only be getting light use in known places in the next year.
Judi in NC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2019, 05:22 PM   #15

Trailer: Escape 17 ft
Depends where you live, I guess.
Neighbour of ours never locks the house. They went away on a weekend, and when they came back, they found a DVD player on the entertainment centre.
They didn't have a DVD player before that.

Couple of homeless guys come round from time to time. I leave my beer cans out for the one guy since I'm too lazy to return them. Gave the other guy a jump start when the his battery died.

I figure they're looking out for me.
Old 12-07-2019, 05:56 PM   #16

Name: Gordon
Trailer: 2015 Scamp (16 Std Layout 4) with '15 Toyota Sienna LE Tug
North Carolina
Quote:
Originally Posted by Judi in NC View Post
All this talk about theft of trailers and/or their tires has this newbie worried. I just picked up my Scamp this year and luckily live on a farm with security where I have it stored away from prying eyes. How many of you have actually had your tires and/or trailer stolen or personally know someone who has. I don't retire until the end of 2020, so mine will only be getting light use in known places in the next year.
Ive been reading this and other Scamp related forums for a few year now. If there was a mention of a trailer being stolen I'm sure I have seen it.

I think there were two, maybe three cases.

Its not like car theft where the vast majority of vehicle thefts are for "joy riding," stripping parts or to use temporarily for transportation and / or to commit other crimes (with a smaller number being shipped overseas). The fiberglass trailers are rather unique and rare, so a stolen one tends to stand out. They are just not that useful for most thieves.

I'm sure that the risk of having items stolen from inside the camper is higher.
gordon2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2019, 09:57 PM   #17

Name: Alan
Trailer: 1983 Casita & 1972 home-built
Oregon
When I licensed my Casita in Oregon, the DMV employee mentioned 3 times that trailer theft is a huge problem and that I could help protect it by welding the VIN on the frame in a couple of places.

With the aforementioned battery-powered grinders in common use, not many security items will withstand that assault for long even if the design doesn't already have a fatal flaw. Does vinyl-covered chain gum up the grinding wheels?

Removing the safety chains and hitch internals might help.

Wheel lug locks seem like a good element to deploy... maybe two sets for each wheel. It's all about slowing them down.
ARVZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2019, 10:46 PM   #18

Name: Steve
Trailer: 2018, 21ft escape— 2019 Ram 1500 Laramie
NW Wisconsin
Wheel , door and hitch locks are wonderful things but just like you have to remember to use them you also have to he able to remove them
We were camping one time where some kids came through the campgrounds with a bottle of superglue looking for something to do .
It was rather comical when the campers tried to leave the campgrounds on Sunday and discovered all their fancy locks were glued shut
Made for an interesting afternoon !!!
steve dunham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2019, 12:29 AM   #19

Trailer: Escape 17 ft
Quote:
Originally Posted by steve dunham View Post
It was rather comical when the campers tried to leave the campgrounds on Sunday and discovered all their fancy locks were glued shut
Made for an interesting afternoon !!!

How old were you at the time?
Old 12-08-2019, 10:22 AM   #20

Name: Cliff
Trailer: 2017 Escape 5.0 TA
Connecticut
These seem way too bulky and $$ to save a wheel. Just MHO....
Attached Thumbnails
0DFB2460-3560-470C-8CD4-057FFCD56EC0.png  
Cliff Hotchkiss is offline   Reply With Quote