Wheels and Tires - Fiberglass RV
Free 7 Day Trial RV GPS App RV Trip Planner Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Free 7 Day Trial ×


Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
 
Old 05-09-2021, 06:36 PM   #1
Senior Member
 
Name: Nancy
Trailer: boler
British Columbia
Posts: 115
Wheels and Tires

Have been looking at what to do for wheels and tires. I am a little confused. My 13' 1976 boler has P155/80 R13 795 written on the motormaster tire.
Will a 215/75 R14 5 x 4.5 bolt fit? Goodyear marathon.
They are from an airstream and are trailer wheels tires. Thanks in advance.
Nancy F is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2021, 06:56 AM   #2
Senior Member
 
Name: Greg
Trailer: 2008 Casita 17 SD
Washington
Posts: 1,694
Registry
First, I wouldn't even think of pulling a trailer that was running on Good Year Marathons if you paid me. If you want a good tire, go with the Good Year ENDURANCE tires. And BTW, if your tires are 5 years old (or more) they should be replaced regardless of tire wear. The rubber gets old and the tires become dangerous. Tire rubber deteriorates as much, or more, on the inside as well, so you may not have any visual indication of the rotten rubber from the outside until it blows out going down the highway.
Casita Greg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2021, 08:02 AM   #3
Senior Member
 
Jon in AZ's Avatar
 
Name: Jon
Trailer: 2008 Scamp 13 S1
Arizona
Posts: 10,121
Registry
Unless the suspension has been modified, I think it unlikely 14" wheels and tires will fit on a 13' Boler. Regardless, I agree with Greg. Don't waste your time with used tires, especially Marathons, which were pretty notorious for random blowouts.

If you stick with the wheels you've got, Carlisle and Maxxis make decent 13" ST radials to fit your Boler. ST stands for "special trailer." Do not use P radials, which are designed for passenger vehicles and allow too much sidewall flex for a trailer.

Are your current wheels 4-bolt or 5-bolt? What are you trying to accomplish by changing wheels and tires (appearance, weight rating, ride height...)?
Jon in AZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2021, 11:56 AM   #4
Senior Member
 
Name: Nancy
Trailer: boler
British Columbia
Posts: 115
Quote:
Originally Posted by Casita Greg View Post
First, I wouldn't even think of pulling a trailer that was running on Good Year Marathons if you paid me. If you want a good tire, go with the Good Year ENDURANCE tires. And BTW, if your tires are 5 years old (or more) they should be replaced regardless of tire wear. The rubber gets old and the tires become dangerous. Tire rubber deteriorates as much, or more, on the inside as well, so you may not have any visual indication of the rotten rubber from the outside until it blows out going down the highway.
Thank you for your help, Yes the current tires are old and worn and I will be replacing before putting on the road. Was hoping to replace with a rim that was a bit fancier to more closely match with the ones going on the 51 Chevy pu that will be towing it. But may just get a good tire and see if I can find beauty rings.
Nancy F is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2021, 12:08 PM   #5
Senior Member
 
Name: Nancy
Trailer: boler
British Columbia
Posts: 115
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jon in AZ View Post
Unless the suspension has been modified, I think it unlikely 14" wheels and tires will fit on a 13' Boler. Regardless, I agree with Greg. Don't waste your time with used tires, especially Marathons, which were pretty notorious for random blowouts.

If you stick with the wheels you've got, Carlisle and Maxxis make decent 13" ST radials to fit your Boler. ST stands for "special trailer." Do not use P radials, which are designed for passenger vehicles and allow too much sidewall flex for a trailer.

Are your current wheels 4-bolt or 5-bolt? What are you trying to accomplish by changing wheels and tires (appearance, weight rating, ride height...)?
Thank you for your reply. I understood the p was for passenger one reason for changing but they are so worn I am surprised we made it home. It sat for many years under a tree wheels were sunken into the ground and flat, pumped them up it held and we drove home fingers crossed and made it without incident. There seems to be enough height into the wheel well but am not sure of the width. I was trying to get something that will more closely match the wheels on the 51 Chevy pu that will be towing my boler. As I said ealier could try to find beauty rings It is a 5 bolt and in the centre is something called a Bearing Buddy BRA Model198. Some one close has a set from an airstream trailer but are 14" that has a rim pattern similar to what will be on tow vehicle. Appreciate your help.
Nancy F is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2021, 12:36 PM   #6
MJo
Senior Member
 
MJo's Avatar
 
Name: Mary Jo
Trailer: 2020 Scamp w/2004 Volvo XC-70
Massachusetts
Posts: 233
wheels and tires

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jon in AZ View Post
Unless the suspension has been modified, I think it unlikely 14" wheels and tires will fit on a 13' Boler. Regardless, I agree with Greg. Don't waste your time with used tires, especially Marathons, which were pretty notorious for random blowouts.

If you stick with the wheels you've got, Carlisle and Maxxis make decent 13" ST radials to fit your Boler. ST stands for "special trailer." Do not use P radials, which are designed for passenger vehicles and allow too much sidewall flex for a trailer.

Are your current wheels 4-bolt or 5-bolt? What are you trying to accomplish by changing wheels and tires (appearance, weight rating, ride height...)?
So now she has the tires, next she needs to look at the wheels. for those of us who donít pack the wheel bearings, is there a tool that fits on the Scamp that packs the bearings without having to take the wheel off?
MJo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2021, 08:41 AM   #7
Senior Member
 
Name: Greg
Trailer: 2008 Casita 17 SD
Washington
Posts: 1,694
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by MJo View Post
So now she has the tires, next she needs to look at the wheels. for those of us who don’t pack the wheel bearings, is there a tool that fits on the Scamp that packs the bearings without having to take the wheel off?
You should pull the wheels off at least every few years to clean and repack the bearings and to check that your brake shoes and other wheel components are still in good order. Repacking bearings isn't hard, but can be a bit messy. have several rags or a roll of paper towels handy. Over time, and especially if it has been a few years since the wheels were last serviced, the grease will harden and dry out after several years. While you have the wheels off also carefully inspect the bearings (after they have been cleaned) for wear, cracked bearings, scoring, (grooves,) on the bearing races, or any other signs of damage. Every contact surface should appear clean and shiny with no worn areas. Any auto parts store will have trailer bearing kits, (they all carry them,) which include new bearings, bearing races and grease seals.)
If you aren't comfortable with doing them yourself, you can take your trailer to any utility trailer place that sells and services them and they can do it for you. I would look for a place that services utility trailers. Steer well clear of any "RV-type repair shops," because they will charge you 3~4 times as much for the same work. Ballpark, you shouldn't pay more than $100-150 for the job, including parts and labor. it's not something you need to do every year, but since it hasn't been done for a few years now, I would recommend the wheels be pulled, inspected, cleaned and serviced before you just slap new rubber on it.
Casita Greg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2021, 08:54 AM   #8
Senior Member
 
Name: Steve
Trailer: 2018, 21ft escapeó 2019 Ram 1500 Laramie
NW Wisconsin
Posts: 4,500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Casita Greg View Post
First, I wouldn't even think of pulling a trailer that was running on Good Year Marathons if you paid me. If you want a good tire, go with the Good Year ENDURANCE tires. And BTW, if your tires are 5 years old (or more) they should be replaced regardless of tire wear. The rubber gets old and the tires become dangerous. Tire rubber deteriorates as much, or more, on the inside as well, so you may not have any visual indication of the rotten rubber from the outside until it blows out going down the highway.
My experience with Goodyear Marathon tires echoes Gregs
We recently replaced all 4 of our trailer tires with Goodyear Endurance ( D rated- $140 ea mounted &
balanced )

We were at a rally this past weekend where a participant had 2-5 year old trailer tires fail in one day
steve dunham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2021, 09:02 AM   #9
Senior Member
 
Name: You can't call me Al
Trailer: Scamp
Massachusetts
Posts: 264
Here's the spare (probably from 1977) after I inflated it, drove from MN to MA and let it sit in the sun for a while.

This tire probably never saw the road, it just sat on the rear for a few decades and then (unsurprisingly) blew up.

We lucked-out on the cross-country trip.

I've bought seemingly decent tires from then on and haven't had a problem.
Latest set are:
https://www.etrailer.com/p-AM31985.html

These are Load Range D which is unnecessary for a 13-foot, but lots of the "C" were out of stock, so I went with these.
I got a deal al $120 since all the others kept going out of stock after I ordered them and before they shipped.

eTrailer did me right.
Attached Thumbnails
20140802_150723.jpg  
AlanKilian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2021, 12:11 PM   #10
Senior Member
 
Borden's Avatar
 
Name: Borden and Carole
Trailer: 1978 Earlton Ontario boler
Ontario
Posts: 1,262
Registry
Checked our wheel barrings and brake pads every year. Also we went with ST steel belted radial tires that match original size with C rating for increased load rating. Exceeded axle rating our new limit.
__________________
Our postage stamp in heaven.
Borden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2021, 12:14 PM   #11
Senior Member
 
Name: Nancy
Trailer: boler
British Columbia
Posts: 115
Quote:
Originally Posted by steve dunham View Post
My experience with Goodyear Marathon tires echoes Gregs
We recently replaced all 4 of our trailer tires with Goodyear Endurance ( D rated- $140 ea mounted &
balanced )

We were at a rally this past weekend where a participant had 2-5 year old trailer tires fail in one day
Thank you for your response. I intend to put on new tires before going on the road an aprreciate information about the Marthon tires. I was looking for a fancier rim I could bolt right onto my boler, that will more closely match the 51 Chevy pu tow vehicle.
Nancy F is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2021, 12:16 PM   #12
Senior Member
 
Name: Nancy
Trailer: boler
British Columbia
Posts: 115
Quote:
Originally Posted by Borden View Post
Checked our wheel barrings and brake pads every year. Also we went with ST steel belted radial tires that match original size with D rating for increased load rating.
Yes, hubby will be checking the bearings pads etc. What is the tire D rating and where do I find it shown on the tire?
Nancy F is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2021, 12:20 PM   #13
Senior Member
 
Name: Nancy
Trailer: boler
British Columbia
Posts: 115
Quote:
Originally Posted by AlanKilian View Post
Here's the spare (probably from 1977) after I inflated it, drove from MN to MA and let it sit in the sun for a while.

This tire probably never saw the road, it just sat on the rear for a few decades and then (unsurprisingly) blew up.

We lucked-out on the cross-country trip.

I've bought seemingly decent tires from then on and haven't had a problem.
Latest set are:
https://www.etrailer.com/p-AM31985.html

These are Load Range D which is unnecessary for a 13-foot, but lots of the "C" were out of stock, so I went with these.
I got a deal al $120 since all the others kept going out of stock after I ordered them and before they shipped.

eTrailer did me right.
Thank you, I have put this info in my book for reference.
Nancy F is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2021, 12:24 PM   #14
Senior Member
 
Borden's Avatar
 
Name: Borden and Carole
Trailer: 1978 Earlton Ontario boler
Ontario
Posts: 1,262
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nancy F View Post
Yes, hubby will be checking the bearings pads etc. What is the tire D rating and where do I find it shown on the tire?
ST tires have r for radial, ST for special trailer and B, C, D for load range it is on the sidewall
__________________
Our postage stamp in heaven.
Borden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2021, 12:24 PM   #15
Senior Member
 
Jon in AZ's Avatar
 
Name: Jon
Trailer: 2008 Scamp 13 S1
Arizona
Posts: 10,121
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nancy F View Post
Thank you for your response. I intend to put on new tires before going on the road an aprreciate information about the Marthon tires. I was looking for a fancier rim I could bolt right onto my boler, that will more closely match the 51 Chevy pu tow vehicle.
Make sure you pay attention to wheel offset. Most trailers are designed for zero offset, but wheels intended for passenger vehicles may have a positive or negative offset. The wrong offset can cause clearance issues in the wheel wells. Diameter, width, bolt pattern, and offset all matter.
Jon in AZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2021, 12:53 PM   #16
Senior Member
 
Borden's Avatar
 
Name: Borden and Carole
Trailer: 1978 Earlton Ontario boler
Ontario
Posts: 1,262
Registry
Think offset is at spindle not the rims. They make a small unit for packing grease into new or cleaned barrings. Our boler is bigger than a 13' and has different suspension remove cotter pin nut, washer pull drum and you find inner barring and brake shoes.
__________________
Our postage stamp in heaven.
Borden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2021, 03:29 PM   #17
Member
 
Name: Andy
Trailer: Scamp 16'
North Carolina
Posts: 40
'51 Chevy PU , eh? Learned to drive in a '51 GMC. A friend, a GMC dealer, once made the comment that the major difference between a Chevy and a GMC was:>..............










Lock Washers.



Great truck, could pull anything. It took a Mercury station wagon towing an 18' boat to kill that truck. Early Millennial. He fold the responding officer that I did not signal, all he saw was my arm out the window. Hope you PU has turn signals now. Not that anyone USES them anymore, it seems.


Oh, and do use good trailer tires. I have blown a few passenger tires that found their way onto trailers and campers. I pitch mine and replace in the fifth year.



Derswede
Derswede is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2021, 07:05 PM   #18
Senior Member
 
Name: Nancy
Trailer: boler
British Columbia
Posts: 115
Quote:
Originally Posted by Derswede View Post
'51 Chevy PU , eh? Learned to drive in a '51 GMC. A friend, a GMC dealer, once made the comment that the major difference between a Chevy and a GMC was:>..............










Lock Washers.



Great truck, could pull anything. It took a Mercury station wagon towing an 18' boat to kill that truck. Early Millennial. He fold the responding officer that I did not signal, all he saw was my arm out the window. Hope you PU has turn signals now. Not that anyone USES them anymore, it seems.


Oh, and do use good trailer tires. I have blown a few passenger tires that found their way onto trailers and campers. I pitch mine and replace in the fifth year.



Derswede
Thanks the 51 is out for paint. I am still working on the boler. Plan on new tires. And yes it has modern lighting.
Nancy F is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
tires


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
New axle and new wheels and tires. redbarron55 Towing, Hitching, Axles and Running Gear 8 03-11-2021 04:57 PM
SOLD - FOR SALE: TWO NEW ZERO MILES GOODYEAR TIRES AND WHEELS Warren L. Seiz Classified Archives 1 04-04-2009 08:50 AM
Tires and Wheels Filbert V. Modifications, Alterations and Updates 5 04-16-2007 11:05 AM
Scamp 13" tires and wheels McClure Classified Archives 1 08-21-2006 07:08 AM
tires and wheels, 19 ft Scamp davidlebrun Care and Feeding of Molded Fiberglass Trailers 5 07-10-2006 02:03 PM

» Upcoming Events
No events scheduled in
the next 465 days.
» Featured Campgrounds

Reviews provided by


All times are GMT -6. The time now is 03:27 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.11
Copyright ©2000 - 2021, vBulletin Solutions Inc.