When to worry about mold... - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 11-08-2022, 06:13 PM   #1

Name: Dub
Trailer: WTB
CA
When to worry about mold...

Well, CA got some much needed rain, and lots of it. Unfortunately, lack of foresight on my end resulted in my 2006 Casita SD being left out in the rain uncovered (for the first time since I've owned it), and there are apparently some vulnerable points in the exterior.

I found several wet spots in the carpeted walls. One was a long streak coming down from the antenna port having busted caulking. One came in from the roof vent. One, I think, came from a bad rivet up on the roof above the kitchen. And one wet spot in between the door and microwave that I still can't source an entry point for. BUT, none of these wet spots were very large in area, and the long streak and roof vent wet spots dried up pretty quick with some paper towel blotting. The door/microwave area wet spot and kitchen cabinet wet spot were more stubbornly wet, despite being the size of a silver dollar.

So, I'm wondering if I should now be concerned about mold at all. I blotted what I could, and for the most part it's not like the leaks were super extensive, but still....I may not be able to see the whole story, and water was running somewhere afterall.

Think I'm good to just let the trailer warm up and vent out once the weather gets clear again? And/or, think the seeds for some mold have been planted?

And FWIW, there is no musty smell in the trailer.
montereyfgrv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2022, 06:48 PM   #2

Name: Lynn
Trailer: 2019 Escape 21C, NTU April 2022 (was 2013 Casita Spirit Deluxe 17)
Massachusetts
I would think that if you can keep some windows open and maybe a roof fan moving air through the camper, you'd be fine. Don't leave clothing and bedding inside, leave the cupboard doors open, and maybe prop up seat cushions and mattress.

Alternatively, if you notice mold growth, you could seal up the trailer and run a dehumidifier. But I'd try keeping it aired out first.

"Hillbilly at Harvard"—Honky-tonk Country and Bluegrass
Mr Lynn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2022, 07:33 PM   #3

Name: Jon
Trailer: 2008 Scamp 13 S1
Arizona
Registry
The sooner you dry it out, the less likely you'll have lingering issues. You could run a heater and a fan for now, maybe throw some Damp-Rid in there to hurry it up. Then when things dry out open windows and dry it thoroughly and start fixing the sources. It great you could identify many of them.

Be glad you caught it quickly. The real problems come when stuff like this happens to a trailer in off-site storage.
Jon in AZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2022, 09:25 PM   #4

Name: Michelle
Trailer: Casita
Washington
I run a dehumidifier in my Casita SD for most of our rainy season. I also keep it heated in our wet winters. I agree with Mr. Lynn and Jon in AZ-pull out bedding, blankets, etc, open the cabinets. Can you cover the camper to prevent any more leakage? Can you run heat to it, to help dry it out?

You need: a dehumidifier, some fans, a source of heat, like an oil heater. Put them all to work.

If you didn't have mildew in the camper before this unfortunate incident, you might not have to worry, but I would be very proactive in drying that puppy out as much as you can.

I would also either photograph or map where the leaks occurred. You think you will remember, but by spring, you'll probably have forgotten just where the wet spots were. If you document it, you'll know where to check for mold.

And when weather permits, even in the winter, I'd repair the busted rivet and caulking as soon as possible.

And shut the vent.

Casitas bust rivets just sitting there, I swear, we've replaced half a dozen over the years at stress points. I honestly believe Casita uses rivets as a time saver-one person can rivet whereas a stainless steel bolt needs two people, one inside and one outside to install. When you find an acorn nut on the floor, you know it's how Casita alerts you to yet another busted rivet.

It sounds, as Jon pointed out, that you caught it quickly, and fast action will save your bacon.

Don't beat yourself up too badly about leaving your Casita uncovered.

If it makes you feel any better, I was hosing out the toilet a few years ago. I'd been too lazy to find a spray gun, I just pinched the hose to control the water flow. Stupid me, I put the running hose down INSIDE the camper to go out and shut off the water.
You probably heard me shrieking at my stupidity. It hadn't been running for more than a minute, but still...
But I got much of it sopped up, used a wet dry vacuum to get into the cabinets, used up a LOT of Dri-Z-Air (beware, the resulting liquid is toxic to a degree, but it IS effective) put in a few fans and ran the dehumidifier for a week.

It worked. No mold, no mildew, and a much chastened me now makes SURE I shut off the darned hose and always use a spray gun.

Good luck. It'll be okay.
Meadowlark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2022, 12:49 AM   #5

Name: Dub
Trailer: WTB
CA
Awesome. Thanks everyone!

Yes I did go grab my cover today and throw it on for the remainder of the storm, after gorilla grip taping up my problem spots. I have it hooked up to power and have a dehumidifier, so will throw that in there when it’s closed up at night or when foggy, and alternatively run a fan with windows open during dry sunny days.

I appreciate the advice and calming words (including the horror stories. Hose inside the trailer….yikes! I’d scream forever at memories of that happening haha).
montereyfgrv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2022, 12:33 PM   #6

Name: Jerrybob
Trailer: casita
Washington
Good dvice here.....get er dried out ASAP....heat and fan is the best solution. Also....as soon as possible...get those leaks fixed. Our 2011 Casita sits outside with no cover all year long....we get 80 to 90 inches of rain per year......no leaks....these little trailers should not leak. Like Meadowlark.....we run a dehumidifier in the Winter. Good luck.
jerrybob is offline   Reply With Quote