Where can I buy new/nicer vents? - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-19-2016, 07:39 PM   #1

Name: C
Trailer: Boler
British Columbia
Where can I buy new/nicer vents?

Hi,

1. I was wondering if there is any source for the 8 1/4" square vent on the side of my Boler?

My current one is rusting out in the center; it's been painted over, but not properly rust treated by POs over the years. It's also no longer functional, so I was wonder if anyone has other ideas and/or how to water proof this one as it leaks (PO put a block of wood behind it)

2. I also have this plastic vent 19x8" approx. that is also non-functional. Any idea for a period looking replacement? Any ideas!

Thanks,
Chris
Attached Thumbnails
aP4170556.JPG   aP4170558.JPG  

aMarch 2016 - Bellingham.JPG  
Guy with a Boler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2016, 08:05 PM   #2

Name: Bill
Trailer: Had Scamp 13'.
Oklahoma
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Guy with a Boler View Post
Hi,

1. I was wondering if there is any source for the 8 1/4" square vent on the side of my Boler?

My current one is rusting out in the center; it's been painted over, but not properly rust treated by POs over the years. It's also no longer functional, so I was wonder if anyone has other ideas and/or how to water proof this one as it leaks (PO put a block of wood behind it)

2. I also have this plastic vent 19x8" approx. that is also non-functional. Any idea for a period looking replacement? Any ideas!

Thanks,
Chris
If you are no longer using the vents, a simple cheap fix would be to removed the vent and install a plastic plate, cut to size, on the back side of the vent. Then re attach the vent.

Bill
Bill Nolen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2016, 08:47 PM   #3

Name: Steve Robison
Trailer: Scamp
New Jersey
I had the same vent, same rust. I patched it with fiberglass then bondo on the exterior. If you don't want to paint and if the back is easy to get to you can always fiberglass the interior of the hole and put a cover on the exterior like the above poster stated. This would guarantee no leaks.
Bluetang99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2016, 11:48 AM   #4

Name: Charles
Trailer: Scamp 16
Ohio
A lot of soffit vents from Lowes and Home Depot work well
cmartin748 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2016, 03:52 PM   #5

Name: Kelly
Trailer: Trails West
Oregon
On my Sunrader there was an old vent for the range hood (which does not match any current vent size) that I am not going to be using. I did not want the bother of filling it in with fiberglass at this time. So instead I cut a flat piece of aluminum that I painted to match the fiberglass and I have bonded that in place.

The original vent for that opening was allowing rain to blow in so it was a better option to seal the opening than put the old vent back in place.
k corbin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2016, 04:46 PM   #6

Name: Tim
Trailer: '88 Scamp 16, layout 4
North Florida
Matching these old vents is tough. My only contribution is what I did to the discontinued heater vent on my Scamp. After removing the old furnace I had the openings in the vent and exterior wall to deal with. I removed the original vent cover, cut a piece of flat roofing copper to fit the backside, drilled through for the mounting holes, added some caulk and re-riveted it back over the holes in the original location. From the outside the tarnished copper backing plate replicates the darkness of the old removed rusty pipes and is unnoticeable. Good luck.
Timber Wolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2016, 03:59 PM   #7

Trailer: Boler 1984
Ours was mangled by the PO. I replaced it with a new one from a Rv supplier. I re cut the roof for a 14 ln vent and have been thankful for the extra ventilization.

Sent from my iPad using Fiberglass RV
james kent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2016, 08:24 PM   #8

Name: Sylvio
Trailer: 1975 Boler
Quebec
I have looked all over for those exact same vents. One local ventilation company couldn't get any. The other one could get me some indoor stuff. A third one could get some steel vents from an old company in Quebec City. Finally, a friend of mine works at a local fire truck company and modified some aluminum vents to fit my openings. Here's the heater vent. I have not installed the fridge vent yet.
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1362.jpg
Views:	15
Size:	264.1 KB
ID:	95954

Good luck!
Uncle Cereal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2016, 09:09 AM   #9

Name: C
Trailer: Boler
British Columbia
Thanks very much for all the replies - sorry been super busy and late to reply!

I'll probably have to just cut a piece to size.
Guy with a Boler is offline   Reply With Quote