Where do I get a propane tank holder for trailer? - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-30-2007, 05:26 PM   #1

Trailer: Trails West Campster 1970
Registry
Everyone around here sells propane tanks, but I need a mount for one on the trailer. Where do I find that or can I make it? I have to check with my b.i.l. to see where the one originally on the trailer went, though.

Bobbie
Bobbie Mayer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2007, 06:27 PM   #2

Trailer: 1988 16 ft Scamp Deluxe
I see a propane tank on the trailer tongue in your avatar....

at any rate, you may want to read some of this topic...has pictures and everything!
Propane Tank hold-down

Donna D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2007, 08:55 PM   #3

Registry
Yeah, there WAS a tank. I don't know what happened to it.. I need to find out. It's a little late to get it back if the seller took it off before I got the trailer, but maybe my brother-in-law took it off for some reason. I can see where it was mounted and there are holes in the trailer frame there, I assume for some kind of hold-downs.

Bobbie
Old 05-30-2007, 09:51 PM   #4

Trailer: Scamp
Registry
My propane tank brackets are pretty simple. There's small rods welded to the tank platform. These rods are about 1/4" in diameter and about 1/2" long. The tank sits so the rods are all on the outside the bottom ring of the tank. There's two simple pieces of iron 1/8" to 3/16" thin and 1/2" wide. They're bent with a hook at the top attach at the tank hand holds. Then bent to the contours of the tank and then bent back to form a foot. Each foot has a hole that match up with holes in the angle irons that form the tank platform.
Old 05-31-2007, 12:51 PM   #5

Registry
Quote:
My propane tank brackets are pretty simple. There's small rods welded to the tank platform. These rods are about 1/4" in diameter and about 1/2" long. The tank sits so the rods are all on the outside the bottom ring of the tank. There's two simple pieces of iron 1/8" to 3/16" thin and 1/2" wide. They're bent with a hook at the top attach at the tank hand holds. Then bent to the contours of the tank and then bent back to form a foot. Each foot has a hole that match up with holes in the angle irons that form the tank platform.
I don't have a tank platform, either.

I haven't been able to figure out where to get one or what is needed.

Bobbie
Old 05-31-2007, 02:22 PM   #6

Trailer: No Trailer Yet
On my previously owned Compact J.I put my spare tire laying flat on the tongue.It was securied with a bolt and plate.I then placed propane bottle inside the rim.I tied it down with 2 brackets.
Old 05-31-2007, 03:23 PM   #7

I found a photo.
Attached Thumbnails
House_stuff_pics_661.jpg  
Old 05-31-2007, 03:31 PM   #8

Registry
Chester, that looks like a great idea. My spare is currently up under one of the seats, which would not be very convenient if I needed it. I take it you had some kind of mount for the spare, something like you find on a boat trailer? And are the brackets something you purchased or put together?

Bobbie
Old 05-31-2007, 04:34 PM   #9

I made brackets from piece of flat aluminum.I bolted a piece of chain on each side of frame and connected same to flat bar with a tightening type screw.The tire has a peice of flat bar across the bottom of tounge frame and a short piece on inside of tire with a bolt holding tire in place.
I hope this makes sence.
Old 05-31-2007, 04:39 PM   #10

I had seen this type of propane holder for single bottles on a site some place .The tire was always in my truck , and i did not like that so this was what i had come up with.
Old 05-31-2007, 06:41 PM   #11

Trailer: 2000 Casita 17 ft Spirit Deluxe ('Millenium Eggloo')
Bobby, most RV shops have these readily available. Here is the link to the Canadian Version of the Coast Distributing Catalogue to their propane mounting racks

Most RV shops can order for you from this catalogue, or you can order on line, just make sure you hook up to the US version of the catalogue. PPL motorhomes probably also has something similar available, they are a fairly common item. I paid about $20 Canadian for one 2 or 3 years ago when I needed to slightly raise my tanks on the tongue to hook up a WDH. They offer lots of flexibility with the installation options.
Charlie C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2007, 07:27 PM   #12

Registry
I'd like to find a single-tank version. At least that gave me some idea of what to google. "LP cylinder holder" did find me the US version of a double rack.

I'm going to experiment with the spare tire/cylinder idea, too. as that would be very useful.

Bobbie
Old 06-03-2007, 03:31 AM   #13

Trailer: Boler 13 ft / Casita FD
Bobbie a cheep way to carry a tank would be to attach a plastic milk crate that you can find at any local convienent store and u-bolt this to the tongue and a 20# tank fits just right into this box. (I use one of these crates when transporting bottles in the back of the truck) they do not roll around and I do not have to tie them down
Gerry the canoebuilder
Gerry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2007, 06:46 PM   #14

Trailer: 74 13 ft Boler and 79 17 ft Boler
Problems with the milk crate idea......they usually belong to the milk supplier .....also, they tend to get brittle with time and if I`m reading your post right....by simply u-bolting it to the frame could cause a major problem if it breaks away from the u-bolt and the crate parts with the tank and the tank gets dragged down the highway being attached only by the supply hose...could wear a hole in the tank and have a propane leak along with the sparks....not good... .....Benny
Benny K is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2007, 02:34 AM   #15

Trailer: Boler 13 ft / Casita FD
I have had mine not on my trailer but as said to transport tanks in back of truck for over 20 years and it is discolored and may be brittle but not to the point of it crumbling apart.
One could place some 3/4 plywood inside bottom of crate and u-bolt through this also and that would solve problems of it comeing off while in a high-speed-chase
Gerry
Yea, it states there is a $5000 fine if you steal these but I asked the store manager and he gave it to me.
Gerry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2007, 06:28 AM   #16

Trailer: Boler 1700SGH (Stage II twoftitis)
Quote:
I have had mine not on my trailer but as said to transport tanks in back of truck for over 20 years and it is discolored and may be brittle but not to the point of it crumbling apart.
One could place some 3/4 plywood inside bottom of crate and u-bolt through this also and that would solve problems of it comeing off while in a high-speed-chase
Gerry
Yea, it states there is a $5000 fine if you steal these but I asked the store manager and he gave it to me.
It's not his to give away. I give you permission to take my neighbor's Jaguar.

While I doubt you'll go to jail for stealing a milk crate, I do think we should encourage people to solve their problems in a less "Red Green" manner...

The tongue area is overlooked by a lot of people. There's a lot of room for creativity up there and with a trailer as small as a 13, there's lots of opportunity to equalize by storing stuff behind the axle to offset anything stored on the tongue. On my old 13, I built a rack that stored two batteries, the propane tank, a cooler, my grey water tank, and some firewood. A full water tank plus some camping chairs, tarp, and clothes for the weekend stored on top of and under the dinette offset the weight nicely. This was Rev.1. Later I added battery boxes, and a rack for the bbq.

My storage rack

I've built a new one for my 1700 but don't have pictures of it yet.

Ok. I took a picture one my way in to work this morning:

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_5473.sized.jpg
Views:	59
Size:	102.4 KB
ID:	8119

I had a spare hydraulic strut from one of my vehicles so decided it was the easiest way to support the bbq. The propane tank hold-downs aren't pictured there because they're in the garage freshly painted. They are just bars with slots cut to match with the ring on the top of the propane tank. The bolts push the bars down.
Herb P is offline   Reply With Quote