Where does the circuit breaker go? - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-13-2003, 10:18 PM   #1

Trailer: No Trailer Yet
Where does the circuit breaker go?

We just got our Prodigy trailer brake from Rjays (as recommended in these forums). We know the what, where and how of the brake and cable installation - afterall it is plug and play. But nowhere in any of the info does it tell or show where to install the 30 Amp circuit breaker that was recommended. I have searched the net and understand it goes "under the hood" but still doesn't clear up exactly where. My husband and I are mechanically challenged in this area - if it was a computer mother board we would be just fine! Can anyone tell us exactly how to intall this circuit breaker and also just what it is for? I know one of you out there can clue us in.

Legacy Posts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2003, 10:35 PM   #2

Wiring

Debbie,

It should be wired to the battery. It is to break the circuit in case there is a short some where. It will disconnect the battery from the lead so it won't cause a fire. You never know when something may cause the lead to short to ground.

Good luck

Old 07-14-2003, 12:16 PM   #3

chevy has a spot on the fuse block uder the hood fro the trailer .
now where that wire come out under the dash iam not sure.
chevy sells a wire harness adapttor that plugs in under the dash
somewhere . which i could be more help but my chevy dealer payed for the brake controler swap from my old to new and trailer shop that did the work wired things into the fuse panels .

Wire harness for 2003 silverado is gm part number 15085418
chevy set me a service bulletin about this wire harness

if you need a picture of where the fuse goes under the hood i can take one and post it

Old 07-14-2003, 06:37 PM   #4

Thanks for the info AL. We have looked over everything and still can't see exactly where it goes. The truck is due for an oil change and the dealer said he would install the circuit breaker for free since we just bought the truck. So problem solved and he will show us how to replace it should that need to be done in the future. Gotta love those "hungry" truck dealerships. They know we will be looking to replace our second vehicle soon!!

Old 07-14-2003, 06:47 PM   #5

oh super

glad dealer did that ! they have been takeing a lot of heat from silverrado Buliten boards seems you order the toweing package and they where not istalling the fuse lol.
the fuse is a special type one it is square and longer then a regular one . sorry i dont know what the new fuse is called but auto store carry them so i have been told . some differance of opinion seem to be floating about wheather it should be 30 amp or 40 my dealer (questionable quality ) says 30 BB say 40 (unknown quality) . the trailer place that did mine put in a 30 amp . if that helps any
Al
:cheers

Old 07-14-2003, 06:55 PM   #6

We went with the 30 amp as that seems to be what's needed on the 2003 with all the ramped up doodads on the truck. But if they feel like it needs to be different I'm sure they will let us know. Can you tell me the link to the Siverado forums? I would be interested in checking out what others have to say about the truck since I am the one who drives it most the time.

Old 07-17-2003, 07:41 PM   #7

On my 82 Dodge truck, I took a lead from the + side of the battery and connected two auto-reset breakers in parallel (30A for battery charging lead to trailer and 20A {per Tekonsha instruction paper} for the brakes).

It is important that the breaker for the brakes is an auto-reset, rather than a plain one or a fuse, so that if there is a momentary short, it will reset. This is not something where you want to have to get out to reset it!! Fortunately, the auto-resets are the kind most commonly found in auto, RV and marine parts places.

Pete in the RatHaus

Old 07-17-2003, 08:47 PM   #8

i think if it pops one of the new type fuses

something is very wrong. Debbie iam down in florida right now and dont have assceess to my computer . Try a google search on silverado and towing . I would but it has been a very long day here.