Where to buy 2 inch Screw-on Sink/Grey Water Sewer Drain Hose? - Page 2 - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Fiberglass RV > Maintenance | Restoration | Modifications | Problem Solving > Problem Solving | Owners Helping Owners
Click Here to Login
Register Registry FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Old 04-07-2021, 06:35 PM   #21

Name: Mike
Trailer: Escape 21 & Jeep GC 5.7 (Previous 2012 Casita FD17 & 2010 Audi Q5)
Puget Sound, WA
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Civilguy View Post
The kit with the corrugated pipes and metal "stake" supports looks to be a bit overwrought. What if the ground is rocky? Sandy? How would the hose be kept clean? How would it be sealed from smelling things up while stored in transit?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom_T View Post
As for the support hooks/stakes - I don't know what you mean by "overwrought" - because they're pretty simple & functional.
By "overwrought", (too elaborate or complicated in design or construction), I am referring to the Colapz kit's multiple pieces to be joined and un-joined, the little corrugations to be periodically cleaned, and the supports which are only suited to limited soil and terrain conditions.

By contrast, a garden hose can be cleaned with a rinse or perhaps a bit of soap and/or bleach while sealed up in a loop if necessary. The female coupler spins independently of the hose. Altogether, as you know from your experience with the Avion, it's an ingenious, simple system.

As long as the point of discharge in a sealed system is below the sink, you will have gravity flow. It just flows as a "surcharged" or flooded system that won't fully drain until you pick up the end of the hose when breaking camp.

A traditional gravity wastewater pipe flows at sufficient velocities to maintain continuous suspension of particles. Surcharged (flooded) systems generally have higher interim operating velocities which serve to re-suspend particles and keep the lines flushed in service.

In our trailer, we address the particles by capturing most of them at the sink strainer, and then flush any remainder by lifting the hose as we break camp. It's simple and robust; I just don't think there's really a need for a 1-1/2" or 2" diameter system for gray water unless perhaps you want to run a lengthy shower off the city water supply.

Even 3" RV blackwater systems should be drained at higher velocities by quickly opening the waste valve after the associated tank has filled. Although I experienced a brief initial infatuation when I first saw Sidewinder-style RV drain-hose support systems deployed in campsites, I ultimately decided they were probably not strictly necessary. The Colapz kit similarly looks to have too many parts with too little benefit to my eye.

All of this begs the issue of vintage and period-correct appurtenances, which seems to be the major driver here.

I love to see operable old machinery and vehicles, whether flying or earth-bound. God bless you and all of the people that keep all that stuff going. It's just not my thing. I used to run air-cooled VW's; a Notchback, a split-window Kombi, etc. However, ever since they invented the gee-whiz stuff like an inductive-pickup electronic distributor to eliminate ignition points(!), and all that really super high-tech extra-reliable stuff from the 90's on, I'm afraid I have let myself be a slave to convenience.

I did look for an old garden hose on eBay and Etsy, but I'm afraid that all I found were brass nozzles, old 2" canvas firehose, and such. So, I guess the challenge remains.

Civilguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2021, 06:46 PM   #22

Name: Mike
Trailer: Escape 21 & Jeep GC 5.7 (Previous 2012 Casita FD17 & 2010 Audi Q5)
Puget Sound, WA
Registry
One last shot here - what if you used one of the newer cordless hoses, but set up an old radio nearby so that it looked like it was a more vintage device?!?
Attached Thumbnails
Home depot cordless hose.jpg   WWII Radio.jpg  

Civilguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2021, 10:30 AM   #23

Name: Don
Trailer: 2015 Escape 17A
California
Tom,
If you're still on the hunt, I suggest established neighborhood or area hardware stores, especially in an agricultural area.
E.G.: Since you're in CA, if you're any where near Ventura County, I would try Fulkerson hardware in Somis. They've been there forever, and have fittings that work with anything the farmers have ever cobbled together.

(Anecdote: When I was in the fire service, our dept. responded to a mutual aid fire call to help Ventura County Fire Dept. (VCFD). There was water in a tank, and a well nearby that had good flow/volume, but no one had fittings to connect to any of it.
Afterward, my boss, the Fire Marshal, went to Fulkerson's Hardware, and came back with a big box of fittings. We made up kits for each engine, that gave them the ability to hook up to literally anything in the field.)
RLTW - LRRA2015
dfandrews is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2021, 01:28 PM   #24

Trailer: Scamp
I just don’t understand this dumping on ground. Commodes are the place for YOUR GREY WATER! Otherwise is suppose at home you’d just drain to the yard!
barrry smithe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2021, 06:21 PM   #25

Name: Tom
Trailer: 1970 Eriba Puck
California
Quote:
Originally Posted by Civilguy View Post
One last shot here - what if you used one of the newer cordless hoses, but set up an old radio nearby so that it looked like it was a more vintage device?!?

LOL - I wonder if it comes in Bluetooth!?

Mike - to me this whole exercise seems unnecessarily complicated. they obviously had 2" sewer hose hook-ups - just like the current 3" ones used on the bigger trailers - and they had both at the same time during the 1950s-80s.

Why they've stopped offering them is just beyond me, & dumb.

Yes - the recco on most Trailer/RV info is to have at least a half full Black Water Tank, make sure to close the gray water valve, pull the black side, & let-er-rip, then hose out the tank & repeat, then drain the Grey Water, then clean the 3" collapsible sewer lines with water before you stow them.

I can attest that height or not, it will NOT automatically drain your 3" nor any other size line's low points, because the low points create an effect P-trap like under sinks. I have +/- 8' of drop to the sewer inlet when I dump the Avion's black water tank into the sewer line here at home, but I still have the unmitigated joy of lifting the line from the trailer 40' over to the sewer inlet in order to clear the low points that inevitably form between the stands, or on the ground.

It's a great theory that liquids will automatically drain given an elevation difference, but it's not always as effective as it needs to be. I had another Architect in charge of the working drawings for a large library decide that we didn't need positive drainage for the roof drain channels as I'd designed, I disagreed, he won the debate with management, the flat roof drains didn't flow rapidly enough *& always flooded the library, that firm was sued and lost. Moral - Better to be safe!

The Colapz kit is complicated with corrugation to collapse into shorter lengths (same as standard 3" RV sewer hose), & is in several parts in order to break it down into a smaller package, & it won't be any harder to clean than a 1/2" or 5/8" hose, or than the standard bigger 3" sewer hoses.

The problem I have with the 1/2"-5/8" drain hose is that it rolls up into a large PITA package to stow in a space constrained tiny trailer (or small Westy Van). At least for fresh water I can use a flat-roll-up, expandable or small coiled hose due to the water pressure, so that I can minimize stowage space requirements for it.

I cannot do that with a 10'-25' garden hose type of sewer drain hose - it's just a big bulky roll of hose, that I cannot even stow in the Puck's rear bumper/sewer line storage box.

So there are some practical reasons for having 2" sewer/waste water drain hoses available.

Cheers!

Tom
///////
Tom_T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2021, 06:26 PM   #26

California
Quote:
Originally Posted by dfandrews View Post
Tom,
If you're still on the hunt, I suggest established neighborhood or area hardware stores, especially in an agricultural area.
E.G.: Since you're in CA, if you're any where near Ventura County, I would try Fulkerson hardware in Somis. They've been there forever, and have fittings that work with anything the farmers have ever cobbled together.

(Anecdote: When I was in the fire service, our dept. responded to a mutual aid fire call to help Ventura County Fire Dept. (VCFD). There was water in a tank, and a well nearby that had good flow/volume, but no one had fittings to connect to any of it.
Afterward, my boss, the Fire Marshal, went to Fulkerson's Hardware, and came back with a big box of fittings. We made up kits for each engine, that gave them the ability to hook up to literally anything in the field.)

Thanx for the tip Don, & Thanx for your Fire service.

I think that we have some AG Supply here in Orange County, or I can go to there or other supply when up in the Central Coast area.

If i cannot find a source for the actual old school 2" drain lines, then I may just make some up that way.

Cheers!

Tom
///////
Old 04-10-2021, 06:45 PM   #27

California
Quote:
Originally Posted by barrry smithe View Post
I just don’t understand this dumping on ground. Commodes are the place for YOUR GREY WATER! Otherwise is suppose at home you’d just drain to the yard!

Barry - I'm not sure what you're talking about in that comment?

I think that you're confusing Toilets draining into Black Water Tanks - with the Sinks & Showers draining into the Grey Water Tanks, &/or using Grey Water as Recycling for Irrigation.

You should never dump your Grey Water into your Black Water, because then you'll contaminate the otherwise relatively cleaner grey water holding tank/system, & have to have that entire system cleaned & sanitized.

Also - not all trailers & RVs have one or both Grey & Black Water holding tanks, so they use direct drainage into the sewer or a portable holding container, rolling grey water tank, etc. We have a big rolling grey water tank

I don't know where you live - but here in SoCal, and in CA & the Southwest in general every new project has to recycle their "grey water" for irrigation in most areas. Historically that's also been done with camping & wash water.

It is more environmentally friendly & water-wise to use relatively clean wash water from camping sinks (& showers if so equipped) to irrigate the landscaping - than to just dump even more waste water into our already overloaded waster water treatment systems.

Also, here in Orange County & many other areas they're doing high level Reverse Osmosis Waste Water Treatment to recover more waste water that is safe for drinking etc. use.

You'll see more of these measures in other areas worldwide, as the water crisis spreads, as it has in the Midwest, Southeast & other areas of the US.

To be absolutely clear - I'm trying to find the type of 2" diameter screw-on collapsible drain hose in order to drain our Puck's & Westfalia's sink/wash/gray water into the Sewer Hook-up at RV Parks & Campgrounds.

So why would I drain it into a "commode" that neither our tiny Puck trailer nor our only slightly larger Westfalia camper van have!?

We have a Porta-potty - but I'm certainly NOT going to dump my grey water in it, as you say.

Cheers!

Tom
///////
Old 04-13-2021, 12:26 PM   #28

Trailer: Fleetwood Williamsburg
When I had a Tent trailer, I purchased the fittings and reducers from Ace Hardware (plumbing section), added a barbed connector and went to a marine hardware shop and purchase ribbed hosing. Tightened down on the barb with hose clamps.
Wesley S. is offline   Reply With Quote