WHERE TO BUY CLAM - Page 2 - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-29-2016, 04:45 PM   #21
Sid

Name: Sid
Trailer: Parkliner 2014
Wisconsin
Kinda hard to misprint "save $50"😀

Sent from my iPhone using Fiberglass RV
Sid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2016, 06:52 PM   #22

Name: john
Trailer: Compact Junior
Michigan
Clam is great....

I had never seen one before ordering from Amazon.

Got the small one so it can fit on my home's deck too.

It was a little over $180.

Really does go up and down quickly and the screen material is very heavy-duty compared to any budget screen house.
john madill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2016, 07:45 PM   #23

Name: Tim
Trailer: '88 Scamp 16, layout 4
North Florida
For you CLAM owners, can you install wind panels all the way around including over the door area to make it a fully enclosed tent? If you can, is it a problem then to access/depart the thing?
Timber Wolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2016, 02:56 AM   #24

Name: Carl
Trailer: 2014 16 scamp side dinette/Rav4 V6 Tow pkg.
Pennsylvania
There are no velcro attach points for the door, if there were you would not be able to get in. I guess you can do a make-shift, of some sort, to make it work though. It is a screen room, and if used as such , it is awesome. Carl
Carl Pa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2016, 07:07 AM   #25

Name: Michael J
Trailer: U-Haul VT
Indiana
Registry
I believe the top of the line largest one comes with built in roll down panels. It appears there is one over the top of the door in the pictures. I saw one in person but don't remember that detail

Sent from my iPad using Fiberglass RV
mmeyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2016, 05:21 PM   #26

Name: Diane
Trailer: 2015 Lil Snoozy
Delaware
I had some discussion with the Clam folks about using the Pavilion model as a tent. I was hoping to use the Clam to camp until I got my TT at which point I could use it as it is intended. I ended up with a tent. The reasons for this decision? No floor so critters could possibly work their way under the tent. Although the Pavilion has roll down panels on all 6 sides, I would have to re-stake the walls every time I rolled them up or down. There is no rain fly so waterproofing the seams must be done. It just seemed like too much effort so went with a nice, Big Agnes!
Bernese Bunch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2016, 06:37 PM   #27

Name: Roger
Trailer: U Hall VT
Michigan
Registry
Smile

We have the Pavilion model and just love it, the doors have a zipper, as do the roll down sides, I think we might have it at Algonac mi.
Roger Kimble is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2016, 06:48 PM   #28

Name: Michael J
Trailer: U-Haul VT
Indiana
Registry
We will likely have the mid sized one at Algonac also

mmeyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2016, 10:06 PM   #29

Name: Sandy
Trailer: Bigfoot
California
Amazon had the clam traveler in the tan color on sale for $158 a couple days ago. I ordered it Sunday and got it Tuesday. Have't set it up yet tho.
sandyb12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2016, 10:22 AM   #30

Name: Gail
Trailer: 1975 Trillium & 2013 Escape 17B
North Carolina
Registry
Question for you guys who love your Clams......is it inherently sort of warm inside? Do you need fans to stir the air? We received ours (green color with 6 sides) yesterday and erected it in the yard. It was a sunny day, not breezy, and there was no shade in the yard. I was surprised that it was so hot inside. The screens are designed to keep out No-see-ums, and so I guess not too breathable. That was a bit of a disappointment.
And my other question.....would it really be a dumb idea to use your grill or gas burner inside the tent? (the ceilings are 7.5 ft high) There is a warning against that in the paperwork that came with the tent.
I appreciate your ideas. Thanks!
Gail H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2016, 11:59 AM   #31

Name: Gilles
Trailer: Bigfoot 25B21RB, 2004
Quebec
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gail H View Post
Question for you guys who love your Clams......is it inherently sort of warm inside? Do you need fans to stir the air? We received ours (green color with 6 sides) yesterday and erected it in the yard. It was a sunny day, not breezy, and there was no shade in the yard. I was surprised that it was so hot inside. The screens are designed to keep out No-see-ums, and so I guess not too breathable. That was a bit of a disappointment.
And my other question.....would it really be a dumb idea to use your grill or gas burner inside the tent? (the ceilings are 7.5 ft high) There is a warning against that in the paperwork that came with the tent.
We have the Clam brown Escape from this spring and we do not use to cook inside it, but to eat away from flies and mosquitoes, when present in the air .. .
When it's hot and sunny, usually mosquitoes are not present. This is especially useful in the morning and in the evening, for us.
We appreciate it.

We plan to purchase panels to be sheltered from the wind and cold when present.
Gilles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2016, 12:14 PM   #32

Name: Mike
Trailer: 2012 Escape 19
Oklahoma
Yeah, my green one is a little warmer inside. It is noticeable.
Mike Magee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2016, 12:55 PM   #33

Name: Kathleen (Kai: ai as in wait)
Trailer: Amerigo FG-16 1973 "Peanut"
Greater Seattle Metropolitan Area, Washington
Registry
You're correct, a CLAM is a little warmer inside in hot weather because of the fine mesh...the mesh is not much use to keep out the cold or wind in freezing weather, though, so the wind panels are helpful then.

And since it is labelled against cooking inside, you cook inside at your own risk. On the very rare and wrong occasion, a small butane or propane cooker can "flare up" sending a brief flame five feet high.

Some canopies have fire ratings that allow for a brief flash of fire, some don't. Pay attention to any warnings. Use a small table outside the CLAM for your little stovetop and bring your cooked food inside, maybe.

Oh, goodness, I sound so bossy today. Sorry. Hoping that you enjoy your CLAM!
Old 09-04-2016, 02:16 PM   #34

Name: Carl
Trailer: 2014 16 scamp side dinette/Rav4 V6 Tow pkg.
Pennsylvania
Most times we camp in the woods and it is cooler. Last year we went to Virginia Beach and it was hot, we ran a small fan and that moved the air around some. But when you put the sides up it keeps the place warmer which is nice in the shoulder seasons of which we like to camp in. We did not yet use our O Grill inside yet, but I am thinking about it. Carl
Carl Pa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2016, 03:27 PM   #35

Name: Huck
Trailer: ParkLiner
Virginia
Quote:
Originally Posted by mmeyer View Post
True, and if you count unpacking it and figuring out which way is up you add another minute or 2. But I bet I can " erect" it in less than 45 seconds

Not if the wind is blowing! I turned my back to grab a stake and when I turned back around, the clam was rolling across the campground.
Huck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2016, 03:32 PM   #36

Name: Huck
Trailer: ParkLiner
Virginia
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gail H View Post
I have used my cobb cooker inside the Clam several times, usually because of rainy weather.
Huck is offline   Reply With Quote