Where to Buy? New propane lines, fittings, etc? - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-11-2008, 11:39 PM   #1

Trailer: 1970 Boler

I am getting a furnace to fight this awful summer hear in BC.

I have no furnace now.

I want to run new lines (and regulator) from my tank back to the stove and location for the furnace. Anyone know where I can by the line, parts, etc? I thought Princess Auto might have some but they do not. I really want to avoid an RV dealer on account of their 1000% mark up on anything and everything.

THANKS!!!

- Kurt
Kurt in BC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2008, 09:11 AM   #2

Trailer: 13 ft Perris Pacer
Kurt-

Any decent hardware store should have what you're looking for. Most modern gas RV appliances use 3/8" compression or flared fittings. Either way, 12 feet (or so) of copper tube, a handful of brass fittings, and a roll of teflon tape should run you right around $20 USD.
Angelo F. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2008, 10:06 AM   #3

Trailer: 13 ft Scamp 1983 and 1972 Compact Jr (project)
Send a message via MSN to Larry&Carrie
Talking

Quote:
Kurt-

Any decent hardware store should have what you're looking for. Most modern gas RV appliances use 3/8" compression or flared fittings. Either way, 12 feet (or so) of copper tube, a handful of brass fittings, and a roll of teflon tape should run you right around $20 USD.
A quick note.... propane connections should be the double flare type---- compression fittings have a history of leaking compressed gases.... Larry
Larry&Carrie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2008, 10:39 AM   #4

Trailer: 1974 Trillium 13 ft
Quote:
and a roll of teflon tape should run you right around $20 USD.
I'm not an expert, but I read somewhere that regular white teflon tape was not recommended for gas connections (due to possible bits of teflon detaching and messing up the burner, I think?). I've been using the yellow gas line tape.
Old 06-12-2008, 10:40 AM   #5

Trailer: 19 ft Scamp 19 ft 5th Wheel Dlx / 2001 Ford Ranger 4x4
i just had mine redone at the RV place i go to which i think is very reasonable... of course I have NO idea how to install stuff like that so let the experts do it.... I dont wanna blow up! LOL
Christi V. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2008, 11:23 AM   #6

Trailer: 1970 Boler
thanks, I will have to check home depot then. Does home depot sell the flexible line that is required though and the regulators?

The RV places here in BC (Vancouver and Valley area) are rediculously over priced. I may have a plumber do the actual fittings for me but I want to install and run the lines.....How do the furnace lines run...do they just split off from the 2 burner stove propane line?

Kurt in BC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2008, 03:48 PM   #7

Trailer: 1975 13 ft Trillium
Registry
Kurt, I 'think' you an I may be meeting up some time in the near future, LOL!!
Best WAIT till you get the blast furnace before you go making plans of where to get parts, don't go puddin the kart afore da horse, LOL!!!!!

....also ANY local gasfitter should be able to set you up with whatever you need.

I didn't know P/A HAD an outlet in Hope!!!!!!
Doug Mager is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2008, 04:34 PM   #8

Trailer: 88 Scamp 16 ft
Registry
Quote:
A quick note.... propane connections should be the double flare type---- compression fittings have a history of leaking compressed gases.... Larry

? ? ? double flare ? ? ?

I have the equipment for this, and even attempted it when we re-piped the propane into our rebuild. I wasn't happy with the surface contact between the flare and the fitting. When I asked my brother-in-law the plumber about the flare he told me that the single flare was all that would be needed. I attempted the single flare over and over again with no success. In the end I had the plumber come over with his tools and make the flares for me. The plumber's $20 flare tool beat out my $120 Snap-On flare tool hands down. Eight flares, and 1 hour later we were re-plumbed. Now I just have to come up with some sort of payment for him.
DanPatWork is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2008, 04:54 PM   #9

Trailer: 2002 19 ft Scamp 19 ft 5th Wheel
Send a message via Yahoo to Darwin Maring
Gas line teflon tape is yellow.

Direct Burry copper tube has a rubber coating. If I were to run the pipe under the rv, I would use this type of pipe and would still run it inside a PVC pipe for double insurance.

There is a special pipe sealant for gas. Mine was blue in color and was used by the gas people when they connected my water heater in the house on the flaired fitting. It eventually hardened up and I assume is used as a secondary safety measure.
Darwin Maring is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2008, 05:27 PM   #10

Trailer: 13 ft Scamp 1983 and 1972 Compact Jr (project)
Send a message via MSN to Larry&Carrie
Talking

[quote]
? ? ? double flare ? ? ?

It does take some practice....... <_< I have gotten so that I can even do steel brake lines. (and it is an inexpensive set, also) Larry
Larry&Carrie is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
propane