Where to get a front box for my scamp?? - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 12-27-2007, 11:13 PM   #1

Trailer: 1981 13 ft Scamp / 2004 Ford Explorer
Hey everyone,

I have been thinking in my sleep it seems like for ages about what kind of box to build/buy for the front of my scamp. It would be nice to find one that fits right up against the curve of the RV, but are there such thing?

I have a simple rubbermade box on there now and would like to get something for perminent as it doen't have much space since most of it is lost with the curve of the rv, and the rectangle box..... does anyone have any advice on what to do or where to find one?

Thanks!
mcnick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2007, 10:34 AM   #2

Trailer: Fiber Stream 1978 / Honda Odyssey LX 2003
Registry
Send a message via AIM to Frederick L. Simson
Unhappy

I see that there has been several views with no responses. I can only imagine two possible avenues of exploration:
  1. BigFoot
  2. T@B

I doubt that there is anything else "Off-the-rack" that would come close. Otherwise, it would have to be a local custom build.
Old 12-28-2007, 11:03 AM   #3

Trailer: 1988 16 ft Scamp Deluxe
The problem is the setback, I know of no company making one for off the shelf purchase. As Frederick mentioned, you'll probably need to have one custom made. Or perhaps put a standard box on and figure a method of using the area behind the box (on top of the frame)... like maybe use the area to mount the stinky slinky tube... or a place to carry the phony grass or yard rug...
Donna D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2007, 12:48 PM   #4

Trailer: 2002 19 ft Scamp 19 ft 5th Wheel
Send a message via Yahoo to Darwin Maring
Try the following site:
http://www.northerntool.com/webapp/wcs/sto...matchallpartial

Darwin Maring is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2007, 03:57 PM   #5

Trailer: 1978 Trillium 4500 Deluxe
Mcnick,

Be careful. I do not reccommend any added weigh in front, because I ran into 2 Fiberglass Trailers (Name I will not disclose) that had boxes both wood & metal. Each bump you hit magnifies added stress to the front fork of hitch & where the body is bolted. I seen one that cracked the frame in 2 places and one that the frame was cracked in one place! I warn you I WOULD HIGHLY SUGGEST YOU DON"T DO IT!!!!
That's my 2 cents !!!!!!
Happy New Year,
Dave in Michigan
Dave Baston is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2007, 08:29 PM   #6

Trailer: Fiber Stream 1978 / Honda Odyssey LX 2003
Registry
Send a message via AIM to Frederick L. Simson
Talking

Quote:
[b]T@B
Click image for larger version

Name:	exteriordecal_fireball.jpg
Views:	57
Size:	67.9 KB
ID:	11209

It is plastic, and basically consists of just 2 pieces: The curved wall and the hinged lid. It fits right against the body of the trailer, so the back and bottom are open for ventilation.

Might be worth inquiring at: [b]parts@dutchmenmfg.com
Old 02-15-2008, 11:03 PM   #7

Trailer: 1972 Boler American and 1979 Trillium 4500
Quote:
Try the following site:
<a href="http://www.northerntool.com/webapp/wcs/sto...matchallpartial%20" target="_blank">http://www.northerntool.com/webapp/w...atchallpartial
://http://www.northerntool.com/webapp/...tchallpartial
</a>
I used the plastic Buyers Item# 3480311 shown on that link:

Name:   Buyers.gif
Views: 111
Size:  14.2 KB

I've put the box on 2 short 11 pound propane tanks and the battery. The picture shows the first attempt, I'm on revision 3 now but the location is the same. The box is slightly ahead to allow the lid to open and/or access to the propane valves. The box actually locks the propane tanks in. It is set up so the entire box can be tilted forward like a cab-over on a big truck to get at the battery and propane tanks. It is used to store light bulky thinks like the plastic wheel chocks, the trailer jacks, the water hose etc. while travelling and converts to a lockable storage for when we are camping.

In the picture on the right it looks like the box is real close to the truck, but that is not the case. The truck is turned to the right by at least 45 degrees hiding the hitch. I know I can get close to a 90 degree turn and still be clear of the box.
Attached Thumbnails
tongue_box.jpg  
Roy in TO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2008, 12:58 AM   #8

Trailer: 1996 13 ft Scamp
Send a message via AIM to John Perry
Quote:
Hey everyone,

I have been thinking in my sleep it seems like for ages about what kind of box to build/buy for the front of my scamp. It would be nice to find one that fits right up against the curve of the RV, but are there such thing?

I have a simple rubbermade box on there now and would like to get something for perminent as it doen't have much space since most of it is lost with the curve of the rv, and the rectangle box..... does anyone have any advice on what to do or where to find one?

Thanks!
I just bought a new ATV and am going to have to leave my tailgate down to haul it in my truck.
I have to move my propane tank on the Scamp to be safe when turning. I am going to buy an aluminium cross bed tool box for a pickup and mount it on the tongue. I will mount my propane tank on it and put the battery in the trailer.
It will give me outside storage for my portable grey water tank, water hose, carpet and other items that usually are on the floor of the trailer when I am traveling.
John
John Perry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2008, 07:27 AM   #9

Trailer: 1982 Scamp 13 ft
We just bought a tongue box from Summit Racing that is made of a poly material, pretty lightweight. The back is not curved, of course, but the front is narrower than the back to go along with the angle of the tongue. We removed our propane tank because we had taken the heater & stovetop out. The box will hold our battery and a few other things like the plastic wheel chocks & leveling blocks. I doubt that there will be any more weight on the tongue than there was with the propane tank. It's a pretty good fit but it doesn't have the curve you are looking for. Good luck!
Sandra
Sandra Lair is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2008, 10:16 AM   #10

Trailer: 2008 21 ft Bigfoot
We removed the propane tanks and bolted a metal trailer tongue box on our Burro. It is lockable, weatherproof and fits nicely on the tongue, leaving room for the battery. You can see an example here: http://toolboxes4less.com/trailer-tongue-boxes.html

I'll send you a photo of it mounted on our trailer if you want more information.
Charlene Urso is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2008, 02:03 AM   #11

Trailer: 13 ft 1980 Burro
A year or two back I had a few posts on a storage box that I got at either Lowes or Home Depot and mounted on the front of my Burro. It was very light and added little weight. I put the propane tank inside it (with a vent in the bottom) and had space for a small tool box, electrical cords, and chocks. The problem is I'm not really sure how to reference it here, so I'll give the preview # and also the web site address. I hope this works:

Exterior Storage Box Ideas

http://www.fiberglassrv.com/board/index.ph...ost&id=3967
http://www.fiberglassrv.com/board/index.ph...ost&id=3958
http://www.fiberglassrv.com/board/index.ph...ost&id=3833

Bob
Bob Maddox is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
scamp