Which Fan-Tastic Fan? (for a 1985 Casita) - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-09-2015, 03:32 PM   #1

Name: Bex
Trailer: Casita
California
Which Fan-Tastic Fan? (for a 1985 Casita)

I JUST bought a 1985 Casita 13' trailer. It's pretty much original except for a few things that obviously wear out. It does not have a fan in the ceiling vent. As my first mod, I was hoping to install a Fan-Tastic fan since I see everyone raving about them. However, when I started searching for them on Amazon, there seem to be several models that range in price from $130 - $260. Also, I'm not sure of the specific dimensions I need.

Was wondering if someone has some input on the best model and perhaps what dimensions I should be looking at?

Thanks!!
rebeccasf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2015, 04:00 PM   #2

Trailer: No Trailer Yet (want 13 ft fiber glass
Registry
I have had both a Fantastic Fan and a MaxxFan, and I prefer the MaxxFan, as it has more speeds to choose from (I prefer the slower speeds it offers over the Fantastic Fan) and it can be left open and operating the hardest of rains.
Here is a link:
http://www.amazon.com/Maxxair-00-051...ds=maxxair+fan
Dave & Paula
David B. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2015, 04:10 PM   #3

Trailer: U-Haul VT16
I'll second the Maxxair!
mszabo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2015, 04:40 PM   #4
Sid

Name: Sid
Trailer: Parkliner 2014
Wisconsin
Defiantly the MaxxFan!
Sid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2015, 08:06 PM   #5

California
Quote:
Originally Posted by David B. View Post
I have had both a Fantastic Fan and a MaxxFan, and I prefer the MaxxFan, as it has more speeds to choose from (I prefer the slower speeds it offers over the Fantastic Fan) and it can be left open and operating the hardest of rains.
Here is a link:
www.amazon.com/Maxxair-00-05100K-MaxxFan-Ventillation-Opening/dp/B002OWAIB8/ref=sr_1_3?ie=UTF8&qid=1431208246&sr=8-3&keywords=maxxair+fan
Dave & Paula
Thanks so much!! I guess it's a Maxxfan then!! :-)
Old 05-09-2015, 09:09 PM   #6

Trailer: Escape 17 ft
Fantastic Fan is a trademark, like Kleenex, that some people use to describe any RV fan. That said, MaxxFan seems to be the Rolls Royce of fans...
Old 05-10-2015, 12:53 PM   #7

Trailer: No Trailer Yet
Which ever brand you get, try to get it with a thermostat! I have a Fantastic Fan. I've never owned a MaxxAir so I cant compare. I just know mine is 3 speed and works very well. The thermostat would allow us to run the fan at night. Sometimes though, the temp drops and you can wake up freezing yer booty off! With a thermostat, it would kick off.

Just a thought...
Darral T. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2015, 01:11 PM   #8

Trailer: 92 16 ft Scamp
Registry
I installed a Fantastic Fan and if I was to go with the same brand again I would get one with more than 3 speeds (the lowest is still to strong on occasion) and one with a rain detector that would close the vent should it start raining in the middle of the night.
Carol H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2015, 01:26 PM   #9

Trailer: No Trailer Yet (want 13 ft fiber glass
Registry
Carol, that is why I went with the MaxxFan after owning a Fantastic Fan. I now have 10 speeds forward and 10 reverse, and it has a thermostat control and can be left open in a downpour.
Dave & Paula
David B. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2015, 02:24 PM   #10

Name: Walter
Trailer: 2017 Escape 17B
SW Virginia
All of these fans are for the standard 14" x 14" opening, the same as your passive vent is in. Have you looked at the need to run power to it under the carpeting? It's a bit of a chore, but very do-able.
And having had both, I'll add another vote for the MaxxFan.

Walt
WaltP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2015, 02:30 PM   #11

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by David B. View Post
Carol, that is why I went with the MaxxFan after owning a Fantastic Fan. I now have 10 speeds forward and 10 reverse, and it has a thermostat control and can be left open in a downpour.
Dave & Paula
Pretty sure they make a Fantastic Fan with 13 speeds and all the bells and whistles & auto close etc - but when I purchased mine I did not appreciate the fact that I might like those and went the with the basic cheap basic model... either way it still works great and far better than not having a fan which was how my trailer came to me.

I do like the cover style of the Maxxfan better though - suspect it allows you to leave the fan open a little bit more in light rains than the Fantastic Fan does?
Old 05-11-2015, 07:09 AM   #12

I have to ask a "dumb" question. But after owning a Fantastic fan for going on 6 yrs, WHY would anyone need 13+ speeds on a fan???? I have 3 and that is PLENTY. Not trying to be argumentive....REALLY .... but I really am curious.
Old 05-11-2015, 07:28 AM   #13
Sid

Name: Sid
Trailer: Parkliner 2014
Wisconsin
Darryl
You are correct, I have cycled through all the speeds but I bet I really use no more than 3 or 4 for common day to day usage. The cover is the feature I am most appreciative of. I have had it open in some pretty extremely conditions and had no issues with rain water coming in. nice design.....
Sid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2015, 07:38 AM   #14

SW Virginia
I also think any more than 5 speeds is clearly overkill, but I like the lowest range on the Maxxfan better than the Fantastic. Quieter too.
A couple of new features on the Maxxfan are its ability to run with the cover closed, like a ceiling fan, plus it is designed to switch directly between inflow and outflow without first switching to off.
About the cover, The install of a Maxxair cover over a Fantastic fan is common and very easy, but I do like the integrated MaxxFan system.

Walt
Old 05-11-2015, 08:37 AM   #15

Name: Dave W
Trailer: Trillium 4500 - 1976, 1978, 1979, 1300 - 1977, and a 1973
Alberta
Registry
If you have a 3 speed fan, and the noise at the lowest speed is still keeping you awake, check out these threads:
http://www.fiberglassrv.com/forums/f...tml#post459872
http://www.fiberglassrv.com/forums/f...tor-64815.html
David Tilston is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2015, 11:32 AM   #16

Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Darral T. View Post
I have to ask a "dumb" question. But after owning a Fantastic fan for going on 6 yrs, WHY would anyone need 13+ speeds on a fan???? I have 3 and that is PLENTY. Not trying to be argumentive....REALLY .... but I really am curious.
Have to agree 13 seems a little over the top! ;-) but having said that I do have the Fantastic Fan and there have been plenty of times I wished the lower speed was lower than what it is - especially if the fan is being left on at night and its right over your bed. Perhaps rather than 13 speeds - 4 or 5 would be enough if one or two of them were very low speed.
Old 05-11-2015, 12:15 PM   #17

Careful there Carol! We're getting AWFULLY close on agreeing over things lately. How boring is that??

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carol H View Post
Have to agree 13 seems a little over the top! ;-) but having said that I do have the Fantastic Fan and there have been plenty of times I wished the lower speed was lower than what it is - especially if the fan is being left on at night and its right over your bed. Perhaps rather than 13 speeds - 4 or 5 would be enough if one or two of them were very low speed.
Old 05-11-2015, 02:38 PM   #18

Trailer: 2004 13 ft Scamp Custom Deluxe
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Carol H View Post
If it has 13 speeds... why did they not just use a rheostat??
The advantage to the Fantastic fan is that they offer lower cost fans from entry level up through comparables. They also offer a lifetime guarantee at all levels.

The Maxxfan when equipped with premium features suffers from a premium price which can be even higher than a roof mounted A/C.

Both products are of amazing quality, built to last in a throw away world.
floyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2015, 01:18 AM   #19

California
Quote:
Originally Posted by WaltP View Post
All of these fans are for the standard 14" x 14" opening, the same as your passive vent is in. Have you looked at the need to run power to it under the carpeting? It's a bit of a chore, but very do-able.
And having had both, I'll add another vote for the MaxxFan.

Walt
I will need to run power to it. I don't believe there is any power there now. I'm not sure I'll do the work myself. I may look around and have someone install it for me. Perhaps CampingWorld. My camper has the original carpeting on the walls, so I'm not sure how running power up through there works.
Old 05-13-2015, 05:55 AM   #20

SW Virginia
The standard way is to tap into the wiring to the light over the bed/dinette and use an electricians fish tape or a coat hanger to run the wire across the ceiling to the vent opening. It's been done many times, including twice by me.
If you could get to LHC either in Texas or Arizona, I'd recommend them highly for experience, quality, cost and new friends. Camping World's rates have gone through the roof.
If there are more mods you have in mind, a trip to LHC could actually be a fun excursion. They are great folks and avid Casita owners themselves.

Walt

Tags
casita