Which have double hull AND fiberglass floor? - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-26-2006, 01:41 PM   #1

Trailer: 1984 Burro 13 ft and 2000 Burro 17 ft
Thanks for the informative replies to the fiberglass floor question. As I learn more, I'm realizing that, in addition to a fiberglass-covered or all fiberglass floor, I should also be looking for a double-hull arrangement. My allergies extend beyond wood-rot--carpet, for example, is generally intolerable. When I first posted here, I assumed all were double-hull, and that some--e.g. Casita--had just covered the inside with carpet for aesthetics. Now I'm realizing that only a few have the fiberglass inner walls, which, being inert and non-porous are ideal. (I'm thinking I should probably even avoid ensolite, which unfortunately rules out Bolers, right? Too bad--I think they're adorable, and I'd love a fiberglass-only, disco-lightable floor--flexy or not!)

I know that burro and uhaul are double-hull, and have a fiberglass-enclosed floor. Are there others? What about Love-Bug and Trillium? (I've been trying to make this out from pictures, but it's kind of hard to tell for sure.)

Thanks,
LL
Leslie L. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2006, 11:25 PM   #2

Trailer: Scamp
Send a message via Yahoo to Pete Dumbleton
I can't answer the question you asked except to say early Scamps (say pre-88) also have elephant skin like the Bolers. Newer Scamps, and Casitas, have a carpet-like substance (aka rat fur) on the walls, but I can't recall any reports of mildew there.
Pete Dumbleton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2006, 12:28 AM   #3

Trailer: Burro 17 ft Widebody
Registry
I'm reasonably sure that Burro and U-Haul trailers are the only double-hulled ones out there, but some of the others may be available in versions without the Ensolite/ratfur/carpet linings.

The Burros were available with insulation between the shells (such as the one we bought from a couple in Bend ), but even without insulation the double-shell has somewhat of an insulating effect aside from some other very real advantages. It seems that you may have narrowed your search.
Per Walthinsen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2006, 05:18 AM   #4

Trailer: Y2K6 Bigfoot 25 ft (25B25RQ) & Y2K3 Scamp 16 ft Side Dinette
Leslie, the enclosed floor can be good but when it's bad, it's very VERY bad! If water has intruded into the "sealed" floor, it can't escape and floor rot is inevitable. The folks who have had floor rot in Burros have reported that you have to not only cut out the bad flooring, but the glass has to be completely removed as well, and then once the floor is replaced, some or all (depending on preference) of the glass must be re-done. While it seems a good idea, and I had both a UHaul and a Burro with glassed-in floors, I'm not totally convinced that it's necessary at all.

Roger
Roger H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2006, 06:11 AM   #5

Trailer: 1986 U-Haul CT13 ft
To all intents and purposes, Burro and UHaul are the only double-hulled eggs with glassed-in floors. There are a few FGRVs around - can't temember the "brand" - which were obviously made from UHaul molds - but they're scarce as hen's teeth.

As Roger suggests, rot in a glassed-in floor can be serious. But I think it's also less likely than rot in an untreated floor. Caveat emptor is always the rule in buying an egg, and close inspection your best protection.

The double-hull design is more costly to produce (which is why it hasn't survived). But it has many advantages. The walls are easy to clean, and their brightness makes the interior seem more spacious. There are no rivets through the hull, which in other brands tend to work loose and cause leakage. The two hulls, bonded together, provide greater structural rigidity. Even without insulation, the UHaul doesn't have the inside condensation problems that plague some other eggs (and some owners have inserted Reflectix between the walls for even better insulation).

There is no 'perfect' FGRV for everyone - we all make our choices based on features, price, availability, whim, whatever. For me, the double hull egg is less claustrophobic than the ratfur-lined eggs. If I couldn't find a UHaul, I'd look for a Burro. But that's just one man's opinion.
jack maloney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2006, 03:43 PM   #6

Trailer: 1968 Venture (Molded Fiberglass 19 ft Class A Motorhome) and 82 TranStar B+
Send a message via AIM to Penny Taylor Send a message via Yahoo to Penny Taylor
Unhappy

The 16' trailer I have is double hulled, fiberglass floor, ceiling, bunks and cupboards.
Unfortunately I do not know what brand it is, as I haven't seen another one like it.
I have been told it could be a Lite House prototype.
It has about 6'6" headroom inside, and it is very sturdily built.
So sturdy, that it is too heavy for my 4 cyl., so I am looking a 13', and selling this big one.
I wish I could help you with the brand name, but it just has TX utility trailer tags.
Penny Taylor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2006, 08:08 PM   #7

Trailer: Scamp
Send a message via Yahoo to Pete Dumbleton
Penny, I believe LiteHouse were manf in Albuquerque recently enuf (1990's) that their VIN numbers should be de-codeable to identify the manf.
Pete Dumbleton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2006, 11:14 PM   #8

Trailer: Former Burro owner and fan!
Registry
Penny, please post a picture of your mystery trailer.

My Burro has a plywood subfloor and an encapsulated under floor. There may very well be glass in between. I haven't had a reason to dig into there.

If it ain't broke....

Anyway... You CAN get single shells with a smooth interior. The Fiberstream comes to mind, and I have seen 13 footers that had the rat fur or ensolite removed and the glass painted.
Gina D. is offline   Reply With Quote