Which ZEP??? - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-12-2018, 05:44 PM   #1

Trailer: Outback (by Trillium) 2004
Registry
Which ZEP???

Hi everyone! I know that there have been multiple threads discussing what product gives the best shine on fibreglass, but I have a question, if I may.

I went to our local Home Depot, which is apparently my city's only distributor of ZEP products (I'm still on the hunt) and saw a jug of Wet Look Floor Finish. Should have bought the darn thing then.

Today when I went to get it, of course, it was gone. In fact, my husband noticed someone walking out with a similar blue jug while I was in the store!!
Surely I hadn't been THAT close to getting it!

What I was left to purchase was the ZEP polish product called High Traffic Floor Finish. After reading the monograph and being almost certain that they were nearly identical, I bought it and came home and promptly emailed ZEP technical dept with some questions.

Their reply was that both products are "nearly interchangeable". That this High Traffic product may not shine quite as glossy as the Wet Look would, but that, in fact, it would last longer between needing to be recoated.

Can anyone offer any opinions and/or share their experiences using this High Traffic product?

Thanks!
theresa p is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2018, 06:45 PM   #2

Name: Michael J
Trailer: U-Haul VT
Indiana
Registry
Have used both, Zep technical is correct. I did have issues with multiple coats of wet look going on too quickly after the previous coat. High traffic no issues. I have both and just use wet look for the last 2 or the yearly recoat
mmeyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2018, 07:18 PM   #3

Name: Gordon
Trailer: 2015 Scamp (16 Std Layout 4) with '15 Toyota Sienna LE Tug
North Carolina
I have never used it but for future reference I did save this statement from a Scamp Owners group on Facebook:
Never use ZEP floor wax on your Scamp if parked outside! After several hours spent today stripping it off after a flaky mess and dark spots where the wax discolored lesson learned! It may look nice the first year but now I am regretting it! Got some Meguiars Premium Marine Wax and going to apply that tomorrow. No mor ZEP!
I've read about this product,and was surprised by how many people thought it was great,nice shine. Personally, I always wondered about UV reactions...��. Got my answer,Thanks
I loved it last year and got so many compliments on how shiny it was. But when I washed it today getting ready for our 1st camping trip I couldn’t believe how bad the top was! I had a hard time getting it off went through 3 Mr Clean erasers! It is not UV friendly!
Of course that is only one opinion.
gordon2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2018, 07:21 PM   #4

Name: Dave W
Trailer: Trillium 4500 - 1976, 1978, 1979, 1300 - 1977, and a 1973
Alberta
Registry
Gordon, It is my understanding that the engine cleaner setting, at the wand wash, takes the old stuff right off.
David Tilston is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2018, 07:31 PM   #5

Name: Michael J
Trailer: U-Haul VT
Indiana
Registry
Which ZEP???

Zep stripper in a spray bottle, rubber gloves etc green scrubby, start at the top and keep the hose washing it working down the side . No big deal
mmeyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2018, 10:51 PM   #6

Name: Dave
Trailer: Casita SD17 2006 "Missing Link"
California
Quote:
Originally Posted by mmeyer View Post
Zep stripper in a spray bottle, rubber gloves etc green scrubby, start at the top and keep the hose washing it working down the side . No big deal
Yup, and use it full strength. Stripping is easier than doing the wax too.
Borrego Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2018, 09:21 AM   #7

Registry
Thanks! Appreciate the input and thoughts.

Not that I don't acknowledge the Scamp Forum post---I am taking it under advisement. But it sounds like stripping it, whenever I might need to, isn't that difficult.

Going to do some more research.
Old 06-15-2018, 01:36 PM   #8

Registry
Hi! After chatting with Borrego Dave about using the High Traffic Finish by Zep that I had purchased at Home Depot, I am here to report on how things turned out.

I used Barkeeper's Friend liquid on the whole trailer, about 3-4 days ago. After a full day of rain yesterday, today dawned bright and sunny and about 16C so a great day to get her shining.

As promised, the first 2 coats looked somewhat blotchy with a hint of a shine beginning. After 3 more coats--totalling 5---she is a thing of absolute beauty!
Just because I had a little bit left in the dish I was using, I went ahead and put on a light 6th coat only on the gravel guard and the front on the trailer. Since the Grizzly Grip bedliner that I applied a number of years ago is still looking great, I only had the upper half of the front to do.

We couldn't be more pleased with how easily it all went on. No buffing was enough to entice me and the whole process was easy....just wipe on and let dry.

As I said to Dave---if the Wet Look product gives more shine than this High Traffic one does, it must be blinding because ours looks better than it ever has, with alot less effort!!!

Thanks to all who replied and offered their input, especially to Dave.