Who sells awning rail, the actual cloth, and poles? - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-30-2020, 02:04 PM   #1

Name: Greg
Trailer: Researching. Sold Casita.
Japan
Who sells awning rail, the actual cloth, and poles?

I have a project where I want to have a put away awning that I can feed through a "keder" rail and use 2 poles, stakes and lines to tension it. Like the "old school" awnings.

If it works, I want to VHB tape the rails on either edge of my Jeep Wrangler's hard top to make shade when camping.

Does anyone sell already sewn awnings with an edge for the rail already on it?
Greg Z is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2020, 02:42 PM   #2

Name: Mike
Trailer: Escape 21 & Jeep GC 5.7 (Previous 2012 Casita FD17 & 2010 Audi Q5)
Puget Sound, WA
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Greg Z View Post
I have a project where I want to have a put away awning that I can feed through a "keder" rail and use 2 poles, stakes and lines to tension it. Like the "old school" awnings.

If it works, I want to VHB tape the rails on either edge of my Jeep Wrangler's hard top to make shade when camping.

Does anyone sell already sewn awnings with an edge for the rail already on it?
I hadn't heard the term Keder Rail before. It looks like the Keder site sells both fabrics and rails - is that what you're looking for?

https://www.kedersolutions.com/

Civilguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2020, 02:53 PM   #3

Japan
Yes. Sailrite sells it as well. I was hoping some shop online would just make one, but it looks like I'll try modifying a shade tarp I already have and sew on the keder edge and stick down the track with VHB and see how it goes. If I can get a put-away awning for about $100 and not have a big awning mounted on my jeep, I think it'll be a win.
Old 03-30-2020, 03:20 PM   #4

Name: Mike
Trailer: Escape 21 & Jeep GC 5.7 (Previous 2012 Casita FD17 & 2010 Audi Q5)
Puget Sound, WA
Registry
I bought some heavy telescoping poles at REI a couple of years back. They look like they've improved them further by adding adjustment.

Quote:
Features
Push-button telescoping end adjusts the 6 ft. pole's length from 60 up to 79 in. and the 8 ft. pole's length from 79 up to 98 in.
Attached Thumbnails
REI Tarp Pole.jpg  

Civilguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2020, 03:23 PM   #5

Japan
Quote:
Originally Posted by Civilguy View Post
I bought some heavy telescoping poles at REI a couple of years back. They look like they've improved them further by adding adjustment.

Oooh, they're on sale. Buying 2!
Old 03-30-2020, 05:19 PM   #6

Trailer: 13 ft Scamp
Arb awning site actually shows some mounted on a vehicle
Might check with them
alan H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2020, 05:50 PM   #7

Name: Bryan
Trailer: Casita "Cozy-Casa"
Central Virginia
Use RP45 3M VHB tape!!!! Do not even try other stuff....it will be futile and a waste of time - ask me how I know... You can get various lengths of RP45 on Ebay for reasonable money. Use the 1 3/4 wide white vinyl awning rail so you will have enough surface area for the VHB RP45 tape to stay put for the long run. Clean the surface to be installed on with rubbing alcohol and sand the awning rail with 800 grit where the VHB tape will be applied. Clean that surface well with alcohol and use a pack of adhesion promoter on both the awning rail the VHB is being stuck to AND the surface it is being attached to. My suggestion for the actual awning material is RIPSTOP nylon. It is very light weight, dries quickly, is water proof, very strong, holds up forever, etc... Again - ask me how I know...
Old 03-30-2020, 05:59 PM   #8

Central Virginia
Old 03-30-2020, 06:26 PM   #9

Name: Rod
Trailer: Scamp 16 Std Layout 4
West Virginia
Awning & Rails

Camping World used to have the rails; haven't looked recently. Also you might try Marti's Vintage Trailer Awnings (martisawnings.com) as they make custom awnings with a wide choice of fabric, size, and style. Could be a little more than if you make something yourself.
Rod D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2020, 06:57 AM   #10

Name: Jon
Trailer: 2008 Scamp 13 S1
Arizona
Registry
Who sells awning rail, the actual cloth, and poles?

Many places sell keder rail (C-channel with a mounting flange). Just do a google search. Vintage Trailer Supply and Marti’s Awnings (two different companies, I believe) sell finished awnings using various Sunbrella-type fabrics.

If you want to make your own, there are two ways to make the rope edge that slides into the keder rail. One, sew a cord of the proper diameter into the hem of the fabric yourself. Two, buy and attach pre-made corded tape. I’m not sure what it’s called to do a search, but you should find it along with keder rail wherever it’s sold.

As to fabric, you can usually find reasonably priced outdoor cloth (Sunbrella and similar) at most fabric outlet stores (online and local). If you want a specialty fabric like ripstop nylon, you’ll probably have to order online.
Jon in AZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2020, 09:19 AM   #11

Trailer: 2008 Casita 17' SD
Washington
Registry
I bought my awning from Marti's Awnings in CA. She does a lot of custom awnings and has a very big following with the "Vintage Trailer" crowd. She'll build it to whatever specs, materials, colors, etc, that you want. Very reasonable too. Here's the one she made for my Keder rail.

Marti's Vintage Trailer Awnings
Attached Thumbnails
20190428_201304_001.jpg   20190430_124553.jpg  

Casita Greg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2020, 10:27 PM   #12

Name: Gerry
Trailer: Titanium
Alberta
www.finishedbiz.ca/marketplace

See the awning in our lineup. Brilliant!
lilcamperpainter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2020, 05:01 PM   #13

Central Virginia
clicked the link and my computer lit up like a Christmas tree stating it was a dangerous site
Old 04-09-2020, 07:05 PM   #14

Alberta
Ouch. Thanks. Let me check it out!
Old 04-09-2020, 07:10 PM   #15

Alberta
I went on from here and it was fine.
Try www.finishedbiz.ca and see what happens, then find products.

Gerry Bast
Finished Bizness Inc
The Little Camper Painter
Old 04-10-2020, 08:17 AM   #16

Trailer: 2008 Casita 17' SD
Washington
Registry
If a website isn't http or https, it isn't secure. Unfortunately, there are a lot of unsafe older sites out there that never upgraded, and can compromise your personal information on your computer. My Malwarebytes won't allow those sites because they can be potentially dangerous. If the site isn't SSL, (i.e. http, or better yet, https, or at least shows the little "padlock" before the URL) you're at risk for opening it. If all you see is www. and no padlock in front of it, then it's not a secure site. Avoid them or you could be hacked.

Still, seems like shameless advertising and self promotion here.
Casita Greg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2020, 02:40 PM   #17

Alberta
https://finishedbiz.ca
Old 04-11-2020, 03:24 AM   #18

Name: Kelly
Trailer: Trails West
Oregon
It is very easy to sew the fabric keder heading onto canvas, I have done it several times. I got my keder rope heading from Sailrite. If you go to youtube you will find video DIY instructions for doing this task on the Sailrite channel.

Here is the link to that DIY how to sew on the Keder awning rope video.

If you don't know how to sew any upholstery shop can stitch it up for you.

I myself would not use nylon ripstop because nylon is not very UV resistant. The better quality tents are made of polyester, not nylon. Polyester is color fast and UV resistant. That is why the awning companies such as Sunbrella also use polyester fabrics for awning cloth.

If you wanted something as light in weight but even stronger than nylon ripstop you can purchase Silpoly from the Company "Ripstop by the Roll". That is where I purchased mine. I have only ordered from them the one time but they responded promptly, shipped right away and the quality of the material was excellent. Also used for making hammocks so you know it is indeed a very strong fabric.

https://ripstopbytheroll.com/collections/silpoly
k corbin is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
awning