WIFI - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-02-2006, 12:08 AM   #1

Trailer: 1978 Trillium 15 ft
Send a message via ICQ to Ken James
Okay, I heard folks talking on here about traveling and dropping into Starbucks and using their laptops to hook up to the net. "Yikes! I need that."

I bought a used laptop at my reliable computer shop and they recommended something called a Wireless 11g USB Adapter. I got that too. Now we're cooking with gas.

My better half, who reads instructions BTW, came with me when I went to the nearest Starbucks to test fly our new gadget.

No joy in Muddville! We could not connect. Now I know it is a simple problem, I may have just forgotten to connect my camaframus to the dooma flicker, but I cannot check my email or get onto FGRV Forum.

I'm not leaving home until I can. HELP!
Attached Thumbnails
WIFI.JPG  
Ken James is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2006, 12:25 AM   #2

Trailer: Former Burro owner and fan!
Registry
Did you configure your Kachingus to be backwards compatible with your doobiculous?

Sometimes the parsnickitle is out of phase with the wangadagle.

Haven't a clue without a little more info. Usually, it's pretty clean. Plug and pray. If your device.. (The usb thingy) is properly installed, it should detect any wireless network in range and you simply connect by chosing the/a network.

Are you getting an error message? Or does it say it's connected and just nothing happen?

Simply things first, check your installation of the adaptor. Do you have a firewall? If you do, is it set to allow access to the outside world?

Many many things can cause this. More info, if you have it!
Gina D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2006, 01:12 AM   #3

Quote:
Did you configure your Kachingus to be backwards compatible with your doobiculous?

Sometimes the parsnickitle is out of phase with the wangadagle.

Haven't a clue without a little more info. Usually, it's pretty clean. Plug and pray. If your device.. (The usb thingy) is properly installed, it should detect any wireless network in range and you simply connect by chosing the/a network.

Are you getting an error message? Or does it say it's connected and just nothing happen?

Simply things first, check your installation of the adaptor. Do you have a firewall? If you do, is it set to allow access to the outside world?

Many many things can cause this. More info, if you have it!

Thanks Gina. Buried amid your great humor there were a couple of genuine clues. Yes, a disc came with the USB adapter and I think we installed that correctly.

The error message read something like. "Cannot conect with this program if you are using another program ..."

And the firewall question is something I'm going to look into.

I kinda thought it was simple plug and play but I should have known better.

Thanks again Gina for trying to help a poor lost soul.
Old 08-02-2006, 02:17 AM   #4

Trailer: 2007 17.5 ft Bigfoot (25B17.5G)
Registry
Ken,

A couple of weeks ago, I took my first trip with my new laptop (equiped with WIFI). I also wondered how it all worked. After some discussion with some "full-timers" at the Elks Club RV lot in Spokane, their advice to me was to pull into any Circuit City or Best Buy parking lot...before and after hours affords the best parking...and just log on. Routers used in those business sometimes are left on 24/7 and if you are close enough to the building, you'll get a signal. I also have sat in the street (actually, in my tow vehicle) in front of coffee shops (not Starbucks) that say "Internet Access" on signs in front of their store and accessed their router as well. I never did feel that I could afford Starbucks coffee anyway!!
Ron N is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2006, 06:58 AM   #5

Trailer: Boler American (#3104)
Registry
Quote:
The error message read something like. "Cannot conect with this program if you are using another program ..."
From your photo I see you have an IBM that is a cut above the IBM R31 Thinkpad I have. And mine has wireless already built in, so I would double check that yours doesn't also. It could be why you are getting that error message. And it would make the USB device redundant. How expert is that shop? Can't they configure it for you? I think they sold you that USB connector unnecesarily.

Good luck.
CliveAlive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2006, 07:26 AM   #6

Trailer: Casita 17 ft Spirit Deluxe
Nice photo of your notebook. I don't see any USB devices near by.

What OPSys are you running. If its Win XP Home or Pro the setup should be plug and play.

Disconnect the USB device, turn on PC, wait for desktop to be displayed, plug in USB device, wait until us see a 'device is now connected' message in the lower right hand side of desktop, right click the double monitor icon, click scan for wireless networks, and left click the one that says Starbucks.

You should be connected.
CD Smith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2006, 08:02 AM   #7

Trailer: Casita Spirit Deluxe 2003 16 ft
Registry
I'm with CliveAlive: Any help available from the computer store? If the system is new, perhaps they can be "guilted" into proving that everthing is working and thus set up the WiFi for you.

I'm a noob on this stuff as well. It seems like there are two types of systems. Open systems like at Panera or Starbucks, and closed systems such as the subscription services offered at Barnes & Noble and Borders. I suppose home systems would be closed as well.

With my smart phone, open systems such as you would like to take advantage of, just automatically load up on my unit once I tell it I want it to. However, a smart phone operating system is probably different from a "real" computer.
I'm a man, but I can change, if I have to, I guess.
Steve L. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2006, 08:42 AM   #8

Trailer: 2007 Casita Liberty Deluxe 17 ft / Honda Odyssey
Verify that your wireless USB adapter is backwards compatible with "b" format, as "g" is not yet in wide use I do believe. Thus if the Starbucks is running "b" your "g" device, if it is only "g", would not be able to connect. What is the full model name/number?

You should see a Wireless Network Connection icon in your tray as shown in the small picture. My cursor is to the right of it. Right click on it and select View Available Wireless Networks and you will see a screen like in the larger picture showing all wireless networks in the area. Mine only shows my own, but at a friends it showed about 8 from all his neighbors! Select the one you want to connect to, like Starbucks, which should typically NOT be security-enabled.

The above assumes Windows is managing your wireless connection. The USB device may have installed its own wireless manager. If so, look for its icon and follow a similar strategy. (I suspect the message "Cannot conect with this program if you are using another program ..." you see is either the Windows connection program or the wireless device's complaining about the other. I recommend you use Windows' by shutting off or removing the wireless device's management program.)

Report back on results. Good luck! Wireless connecting is very convenient!

Pat
Attached Thumbnails
w2.jpg  
Attached Images

Patrick M. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2006, 09:00 AM   #9

Trailer: 2000 Scamp 16 ft Side Dinette
Was the Starbuck's wireless network actually up and running?

-- Dan Meyer
Dan Meyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2006, 09:11 AM   #10

I want to say, this is the finest group of people on the Internet. Thanks to all of you who have contributed to this thread; you have lifted the fog for us.

For the curious, we are using Wndows XP Pro

We tried a couple of motels that advertised having WIFI after Starbucks failed.

I have included a picture of the USB Adapter thing I spoke of.

Today we take your advice and return to the computer store with laptop in hand and armed with some intelligent questions this time - thanks to you folks.
Attached Thumbnails
USB.JPG  
Old 08-02-2006, 09:55 AM   #11

Trailer: 2007 Casita Liberty Deluxe 17 ft / Honda Odyssey
I think the Brand X adapter you were sold is the wrong one for general WiFi use. Take it back unless it can be verified that it's 802.11b compatible.
Patrick M. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2006, 10:39 AM   #12

Trailer: Fiber Stream 1978 / Honda Odyssey LX 2003
Registry
Send a message via AIM to Frederick L. Simson
Talking

Quote:
I went to the nearest Starbucks to test fly our new gadget.

No joy in Muddville! We could not connect.
I once asked at a Starbucks about how to use their WiFi. The kid behind the coffee counter pointed to a stack of pamphlets on a separate counter. The pamphlets were for signing up with a Cell Phone provider for internet access! Did not just try to see if my WiFi would detect a hotspot there... we just went on down the road. Found a KOA with WiFi that night.
Old 08-02-2006, 11:37 AM   #13

Trailer: Bigfoot 25 ft / Dodge 3500HD 4X4 Jake Brake
Our local Starbucks require a monthly subscription to gain access to their Wifi like truck stops.

I go to other Coffee Houses that offer FREE Wifi.
Bigfoot Mike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2006, 11:43 AM   #14

Trailer: Casita 17 ft Spirit Deluxe
The USB WiFi adapter shown in your latest photo should work just fine. The CDROM cover says it is an 802.11g compatible and should handle networks that use 802.11b protocol without any problems.
CD Smith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2006, 11:51 AM   #15

Trailer: Bigfoot 25 ft / Dodge 3500HD 4X4 Jake Brake
For FREE Hot Spots check out: http://www.wififreespot.com/
To see US State listings, scroll down the page about half way.

I see you are in Canada. For FREE WiFi Hotspots in your area Check out: http://www.wififreespot.com/can.html

Vancouver
Blenz - Broadway and Heather
Blenz - 1201 Robson Street, at Bute (2 blocks west of Burrard) - 604-681-8092
Cafe Belligio - 783 Hornby
Caffe Sette - 818 Burrard St
Enigma Restaurant - 4397 West 10th Avenue - 604 222 6881
Fahrenheit Celsius Coffee - free with purchase (need key) - 1225 Burrard Street - (604) 682-6675
Interactive Cafe - Gastown - 107?12 Water Street - 604-687-2284
Jolly's Indian Bistro - 2778 W 4th Ave - 604-730-6929
La Solace Cafe - 4883 Mackenzie Street@west 33rd Avenue - 604.266.4029
La Vieille France Cafe - 380 Robson St
Libby's - 3429 Porter Street
Lupo Caffe Bar - 1016 West Georgia Street
Main Branch library - 4th floor
Mega Wraps Pita Bread - free w/purchase -878 West Broadway - (604) 874-3734
Melting Point Gallery - 1111 Commercial Drive - 604.254.3338
Our Town Café - 245 E. Broadway (Corner of Kingsway & Broadway)
Pedro's Organic Coffee - Main & 14th
Soma Cafe - Main & Broadway
Trees Organic Coffee -450 Granville Street - 604 684-5060
Take 5 Cafe - The United Kingdom Building - 429 Granville Street - 604.697.9090
The Jewel Cafe - 52 Alexander Street - 604-688-8075
The Kolachy Shop - 888 Beatty Street
THINK Cafe and Lounge - 4512 West 10th Ave. Yale Coffee - 850 Beatty St
Penny Farthing Inn - 2855 West 6th Avenue - (604)739-9002
Bigfoot Mike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2006, 12:31 PM   #16

Thank you, thank you, thank you one and all! I know more about WIFI now than the guys who sold me this laptop.

Yes, we do have the right adapter. The g replaced the b so we are okay on that front. This model of IBM Notebook did not have a built-in connection. We needed the toys we have and they never charged us for the adapter when we bought the unit anyway.

I guess we assumed that we could pirate a signal at Starbucks. They charge so much for their coffee I was sure their signal would be free. Wrong! Not so.

Today we went out and I saw the connection made so I'm no longer a Doubting Thomas.

Bring on the open road - I can connect to FGRV as we travel. HOORAY!
Old 08-02-2006, 04:08 PM   #17
Administrator

Trailer: Casita 1999 17 ft Liberty Deluxe
Registry
>>I can connect to FGRV as we travel. HOORAY!

Info on Adding Photos to a Post
RV Life Network FAQ
Mary F is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2006, 11:23 PM   #18

Trailer: Scamp
Send a message via Yahoo to Pete Dumbleton
My experience is that even if you can't connect to a paid subscription system, you will get something from that system that gives you the opportunity to join and pay -- If everthing is working OK, you will get some indication that you are talking to the system and a login screen.

AFAIK, all 802.11g adapters are "backwards compatible" with 802.11b systems; they just drop back to the limited capacity of the "b" system, just like the modems did when things started to get faster but had to accomodate older computers.

Lots of free WiFi out there -- My local library system only allows one hour daily if you use their terminals but you can come in with a WiFi laptop and surf all day (even from the parking lot after hours if your adapter is strong enuf). Some of the ferries here in the Seattle area have free WiFi on board for commuters.
Pete Dumbleton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2006, 01:01 PM   #19

Trailer: 1983 Scamp 13 ft Standard
Quote:
..Lots of free WiFi out there -- My local library system only allows one hour daily if you use their terminals but you can come in with a WiFi laptop and surf all day (even from the parking lot after hours if your adapter is strong enuf)...
I can't help but pass on how I got my wi-fi router in the house to get a signal down to my Scamp in the backyard.

http://www.freeantennas.com/projects...te2/index.html

I built the parabolic reflector from this template out of a 3 liter soda bottle, lined the curved surface with tin foil, and used cardboard for the antenna frame.

Using this reflector boosed my signal tremendously! At least 50-70% better than without it.
This also makes your antenna directional, it can keep others from accessing your internet connection as well.

ConwayBob
Old 08-03-2006, 11:23 PM   #20

Trailer: Scamp
Send a message via Yahoo to Pete Dumbleton
All antennas that "boost" power (without an electronic amplifier) do so by concentrating the radiation and receive patterns into narrower beams -- Some do it by making a ball into a donut for slight gain, and some do it by making the ball into a very narrow beam (Yagi, etc.), kind of like the difference between a rifle (reaches out a long distance but must be carefully aimed to hit a target) and a hand grenade (not much aiming required but has a limited range).

One can actually set up an 802.11b network over several miles with line-of-sight and the appropriate directional antennas on both ends.
Pete Dumbleton is offline   Reply With Quote