Wifi Question - Page 2 - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-03-2018, 08:55 AM   #21

Trailer: 1988 16 ft Scamp Deluxe
Just because we all own trailers doesn't mean we all use them the same way and it's foolish to think that's the case. The OP asked a question, it's not our place to judge the reason behind the question.

For instance, I'm preparing to go out for two months. I won't be 'camping,' I'll be traveling coast-to-coast and back again. I'm doing the 'tourist thing.' Lots of tours, like visiting the RV Hall of Fame Museum... and nine other tours too!

I'm writing a blog with pictures to share with family and friends. That should be easier than emailing, PMing, etc. Wifi is going to be needed to meet my needs.

So while going out into the woods or sitting in the desert is what some think everybody does, that's not the case at all.

Safe travels, always.
Donna D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2018, 08:16 AM   #22

Name: Jon
Trailer: 2008 Scamp 13 S1
Arizona
Registry
I agree it's not helpful to criticize how others choose to use technology while traveling. Some people are working full-time from their RV's. Others spend months on the road and stay connected with family and friends via the internet.

We locate a place with decent wifi and download video entertainment content for off-line viewing over the next few days. We have yet to stay at a campground with wifi. Radio works for staying up with news and sports. Our cellular account has limited data, so we restrict field data use to apps that aren't data intensive: e-mail and forum access. In short, we find ways to reduce our need for continuous connectivity, but that's a personal choice.

Screen time goes way down when we're camping, but I won't apologize for having a movie night in the Scamp once in a while when it's too cold or wet to enjoy a campfire!
Jon in AZ is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2018, 10:21 AM   #23

Trailer: U-Haul CT13
Registry
You can use some cellphones as a hotspot and start gobbling up data...probably the easiest way to do it.
Bruce Thomas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2018, 10:22 AM   #24

Name: Billy Sharpstick
Trailer: Scamp 13 - 2005
Florida
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by NewSurfer View Post
Hi all! Just wondering if anyone up in Canada has a good solution for getting WiFi on the road? . . . Would like to access Netflix and Prime Video.
Netflix now allows you to download their video content ahead of time. Load that on your phone or laptop and HDMI it out to a small tv.
sharpstick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2018, 10:37 AM   #25

Name: Bryan
Trailer: Carefree
British Columbia
on a laptop..use a cellular data stick (like a thumb drive that plugs into your laptop) - not WiFi - use your cellular data plan - you will not want to stream video or music using such a plan as it is expensive. On a cell phone - just use you cellular data plan

So says this owner of a software company ;-)

Cheers
CarefreeLad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2018, 10:51 AM   #26

Name: Michael
Trailer: Trillium 4500
Colorado
Let’s face it, Canada doesn’t have an on the road wifi system worthy of the name or a service provider of cell service that’s affordable! It’s actually cheaper for people to buy an American plan and then use it in Canada! Most third world countries have better...
ckayaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2018, 11:06 AM   #27

Name: Bryan
Trailer: Carefree
British Columbia
Quote:
Originally Posted by ckayaker View Post
Let’s face it, Canada doesn’t have an on the road wifi system worthy of the name or a service provider of cell service that’s affordable! It’s actually cheaper for people to buy an American plan and then use it in Canada! Most third world countries have better...

Mostly agree except that there is no such thing as "on the road wifi" - no such technology exists because wifi is short range. There are many cities that are blanketing their spaces with wifi access points, but that is not the same as "on the road". To have and Internet connection (do not confuse a connection with the various technologies such as wifi that allow said connection) anywhere requires a cellular data plan. I suppose you could use a satellite phone or modem, but that's super expensive and only a solution for those spending their time far away from civilization - like up a mountain ;-)

Canada has killed competition and we are stuck with "the big 3" carriers which are of course in collusion.

As to affordability - check out Public Mobile - a subsidiary of Telus but my monthly plan is half what it was with Rogers.

Cheers
CarefreeLad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2018, 11:25 AM   #28

Trailer: Scamp
Registry
WIFI while traveling.

I have found that McDonalds, Denny's, sometime iHop work good while traveling to get on the internet.
Old 08-08-2018, 11:42 AM   #29

Trailer: Escape 17 ft
CRTC tried to open up the cell market some years ago. I covered the grand launch of one of the new players. Never saw so much hair gel and so many weasels in one place.
Old 08-08-2018, 12:18 PM   #30

Name: Dee
Trailer: Triple E
Ontario
Has anyone tried mobile satellite, big $$, but if price is of no consequence, it could be interesting.

e.g. Hughes 9211 BGAN Terminal - Ground Control
Old 08-08-2018, 01:20 PM   #31

Name: John
Trailer: Escape 21, behind an '02 F250 7.3 diesel tug
Mid Left Coast
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dee823 View Post
Has anyone tried mobile satellite, big $$, but if price is of no consequence, it could be interesting.

e.g. Hughes 9211 BGAN Terminal - Ground Control
extremely high packet latency, extremely slow uplink, totally unsuitable for video streaming (questioner asked about netflix, amazon prime video).
John in Santa Cruz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2018, 01:31 PM   #32

Trailer: Bigfoot 17 ft Gaucho
https://visionglobalwifi.com/ I used this in Europe -- worked great and a domestic plan is also available.
Ericpa3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2018, 01:41 PM   #33

Mid Left Coast
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ericpa3 View Post
https://visionglobalwifi.com/ I used this in Europe -- worked great and a domestic plan is also available.
that appears to be a cellular hotspot you rent and take with you ?
Old 08-08-2018, 02:54 PM   #34

Name: Kelly
Trailer: Trails West
Oregon
Heads up alert....if you think you are getting a message across to the orginal poster of this thread think again. They did a hit and run, posted once and have never once come back into the forum since that time. So you are talking to yourself and maybe some other regulars but the OP is long gone from the thread, more than a month has passed since that time. they are not seeing what you post.
k corbin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2018, 03:01 PM   #35

Mid Left Coast
6 days != 1 month, but I agree, I would have expected someone asking a question to have participated in the discussion said question initiated.
Old 08-08-2018, 03:03 PM   #36

Name: J
Isle of Wight
Cant get any internet maybe....
WizWid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2018, 04:08 PM   #37
Administrator

Trailer: Argosy
Registry
The best solution I have found to date is a cellular amplifier; WeBoost or similar. The underlying issue is that there is often NO wifi available and lean signal from cell towers.

The amplifier helps so long as there is a little cell service. Some of these amplifiers don't cover multiple bands to it's important to make sure it will boost the sort of signal you are likely to find.
Old 08-08-2018, 05:00 PM   #38

Trailer: Bigfoot 19 ft
Wifi Question

This is a timely thread for me.

I been looking for a secure, economical, effective way to connect to the Internet when using my trailer.

I’d really like to sync my devices to each other - just like at home. My iPad does not have a cellular connection. But via WiFi, I am able to read email and easily download documents for review, editing and my signature.

I need a secure mobile connection to protect business correspondence and conduct online banking. I may well be that I’ll need to combine a VPN service mobile MiFi.

I have used Virgin & Karma MiFi, but they have limited networks. I am concerned about Karma’s security.

I am not a full timer and, being frugal, I want a pay-as-you-go system. I simply cannot justify a 2 year contract for a Verizon or AT&T (how do you spell predatory?) hot spot or a satellite internet connection. They already charge me for cable & Internet access and my cell phone.

@ericpa. The vision global WiFi link looks interesting. I will definitely check it out. Thanks.

I need whatever I use to work in rural areas in the Rockies and eastern WA & OR Alas, Karma shortcoming.

As an aside, I have not bothered to replace the trailer’s original analog TV antenna. Recreational activities are limited to listening to music on an auto stereo system and reading. I enjoy listening to the news and funky late night radio shows. Hi even-so, ... I’d love to have the option to stream videos via Apple play or some other streaming device.

If anyone has discovered the perfect solution, please pass it on!

Happy camping.
Old 08-08-2018, 06:01 PM   #39

Mid Left Coast
my cellphone, a google pixel on verizon, can act as a wifi hotspot without anything extra, you just need to configure then enable that feature.. of course, you need a reasonably strong 3G or better cellular signal for it to be workable. and I wouldn't try streaming video over that, its going to both eat up your cellular data quota AND be herky-jerky with buffering latencies.
Old 08-08-2018, 06:35 PM   #40

Trailer: 1979 Boler 1700
Michigan
Registry
On the road we use our 4g lte TMobile unlimited in the US, 3g unlimited in other countries. I am tethering to it right now. works great. Have even streamed video at times, but not extensively.
John in Michigan is offline   Reply With Quote