Will chrysler 2016 minivan rear hatch swing up and open with trailer attached - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-08-2015, 12:11 PM   #1

Name: denny
Trailer: 2001 Scamp 16 layout 3
Michigan
Will chrysler 2016 minivan rear hatch swing up and open with trailer attached

Wondering if I will be able to open the rear hatch on my new Chrysler minivan when it is hitched to a Casita 17 trailer since it swings upward. The wind up tongue pole that sticks up looks like it might get in the way. Anyone know for sure????
denny w is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2015, 12:40 PM   #2
MC1

Name: Wayne
Trailer: Airstream Sold, Nest Fan
Ontario
Not sure about your Chrysler Denny but we had clearance with our Nissan Quest and Airstream. Note the ball on the Quest was high and close to the rear bumper of the van. Hope the pic below can give you a reference.
Attached Thumbnails
quest receiver 1.jpg  
MC1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2015, 12:48 PM   #3

Trailer: Class A Motorhome
If you find you can't open it, there are several tongue jacks that are designed to be easily removed from their mounts once the trailer is hitched.

I remove mine every time, so it doesn't drag on dips and curves, by taking off the 3 nuts. Takes all of a few minutes.

Bob Miller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2015, 12:51 PM   #4

Trailer: Casita
Registry
My receiver sticks out more than the one in the pic. I have no problem with mine a 2006. Also I have a WDH that adds about another foot of clearance.
Gene Masse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2015, 12:55 PM   #5

Name: Jon
Trailer: 2008 Scamp 13 S1
Arizona
Registry
It may depend on whether it's a manual or an electric jack.

I'll be surprised if too many people are towing Casita 17's with minivans, though, due to the high tongue weight. Deluxe versions (with front bathroom) average about 425 pounds on the hitch. The standard version looks like about 50-60 pounds less, but that's still 365-375 pounds on the hitch.

Have you looked into the hitch weight limit in your owner's manual?

There are solutions to deal with tongue jack/tailgate interference, including side-mounted folding jacks and removable center-mount jacks.
Jon in AZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2015, 01:18 PM   #6

Trailer: Casita
Registry
Chrysler mini vans have a total trailer weight capacity of 3600lbs. Add a WDH and it can do it but one need to keep in mind the added weight of all you gear and passengers in the van. They also can be got with a tow package that helps, or it can be added.
Gene Masse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2015, 01:39 PM   #7

Name: Norm and Ginny
Trailer: Scamp 16
Florida
We don't have a Chrysler Mini van but we do have an Odyssey. I just took my tape measure and checked the height of the ball with the trailer nose and jack with the trailer level and when to a dealer ship and put my tape measure on the ground tape up to the right height and opened the van's hatch. It was not even close. Easy test to perform.

Our Odyssey easily clears our trailer.

2014 Honda Odyssey
1991 Scamp 16
honda03842 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2015, 03:39 PM   #8
MC1

Name: Wayne
Trailer: Airstream Sold, Nest Fan
Ontario
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gene Masse View Post
Chrysler mini vans have a total trailer weight capacity of 3600lbs. Add a WDH and it can do it but one need to keep in mind the added weight of all you gear and passengers in the van. They also can be got with a tow package that helps, or it can be added.
Most Mini Vans have a 1,300 to 3/4 ton payload rating. That is as much or more than many 1/2 ton trucks.
MC1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2015, 06:36 AM   #9

Name: Kathleen (Kai: ai as in wait)
Trailer: Amerigo FG-16 1973 "Peanut"
Greater Seattle Metropolitan Area, Washington
Registry
Hi,
Our Dodge Grand Caravan rear door does not open when we're hitched to our "new" 1973 amerigo FG-16 with an electric jack. We find this surprisingly inconvenient, and will have to figure out something else soon. A crank jack, a side-mounted jack, a removable jack (possibly best idea), a longer receiver (?) a weight-distribution hitch or some portion thereof, and my uncle suggested we get a tongue extension of some kind (is this possible?).
The electric jack came with the trailer...as did an electric water pump at the sink. Does every little thing have to be power-aided? How much harder is it to have a manual jack? My husband says he's not sure if he's strong enough to crank one, though he used to crank the jack for our old Aloha in the 80's. But that was a long time ago.
Kai in Seattle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2015, 06:52 AM   #10

Here's one of the solutions I alluded to earlier:
Jack-E-Up Removable Jack Bracket, Black - Jack-e-up Llc 5048 - Tongue Jacks - Camping World

and here's the other
Ultimate Adjustable Trailer Hitch Jack

The Amerigo's tongue weight won't be that great, and a well lubricated hand crank jack should be fairly easy to turn

Old 10-10-2015, 09:06 AM   #11

Name: Jon
Trailer: 2008 Scamp 13 S1
Arizona
Registry
Will chrysler 2016 minivan rear hatch swing up and open with trailer attached

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kai in Seattle View Post
Hi,
Our Dodge Grand Caravan rear door does not open when we're hitched to our "new" 1973 amerigo FG-16 with an electric jack. We find this surprisingly inconvenient, and will have to figure out something else soon. A crank jack, a side-mounted jack, a removable jack (possibly best idea), a longer receiver (?) a weight-distribution hitch or some portion thereof, and my uncle suggested we get a tongue extension of some kind (is this possible?).
The electric jack came with the trailer...as did an electric water pump at the sink. Does every little thing have to be power-aided? How much harder is it to have a manual jack? My husband says he's not sure if he's strong enough to crank one, though he used to crank the jack for our old Aloha in the 80's. But that was a long time ago.
I agree that it's a big inconvenience. When I first bought our Scamp, a bent tongue jack prevented our minivan's hatch from opening. It was the first thing I fixed.

But not a hitch extender, for sure. Use of a hitch extender reduces your hitch capacity by half because of the lever effect. It's in the fine print on every one I've seen. In addition, it adds more places for hitch rattle to originate and moves the ball further from the vehicle, which is bad for towing stability.

On a trailer the size of your Amerigo there should be no need for an electric jack. Some people just like gizmos, or perhaps they had a disability that made a manual crank difficult to use. If that's your situation, the product description for the quick-remove bracket in Bob's first link sounds like it might work with some electric jacks.
Jon in AZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2015, 06:33 PM   #12

Name: Linda
Trailer: Boler 17 ft
Ontario
2007 Dodge Grand Grand Caravan

I can open my back of my 2007 Caravan with my Boler attached.

Linda
Linda Stewart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2015, 06:52 PM   #13

Name: Gordon
Trailer: 2015 Scamp (16 Std Layout 4) with '15 Toyota Sienna LE Tug
North Carolina
Quote:
Originally Posted by Linda Stewart View Post
I can open my back of my 2007 Caravan with my Boler attached.

Linda

I cannot open the back of my Toyota Sienna Van with a Scamp 16.

Of course neither Linda nor I have the van and trailer combo you asked about, so I don't know if that information helps or not.
gordon2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2015, 10:33 PM   #14

Name: Doug
Trailer: 2014 Scamp 16, 2011 RAV4 V6
California
I love my Ultimate Jack. I have a Scamp 16 and a Rav4 tow vehicle. I always remove the jack when towing.
Doug in Sacramento is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2015, 01:19 AM   #15

Name: Kathleen (Kai: ai as in wait)
Trailer: Amerigo FG-16 1973 "Peanut"
Greater Seattle Metropolitan Area, Washington
Registry
Thanks for the advice! We've looked at the links and once my husband gets the floor redone we'll move on to doing something about the jack/rear door situation. He refused to let me order anything now as we're tossing money like water into this trailer. On the other hand, it's a little like getting married--you get to pick out all new things. Only you don't get others to throw you a shower--you have to fund it yourself.
Kai in Seattle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2015, 02:59 AM   #16

Name: Dave
Trailer: Casita SD17 2006 "Missing Link"
California
Kai, if it's marine or RV it's expensive, just the way it is . You've heard the saying for boats...break out another thousand.
Borrego Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2015, 06:03 AM   #17

Trailer: 1973 Compact Jr and 1980 Bigfoot 17 ft
Registry
Send a message via AIM to Tom Trostel Send a message via MSN to Tom Trostel
I had clearance problems when I switched minivan tow vehicles. My 2006 Toyota Sienna tailgate would clear the jack but the 2011 Sienna will not. This is with the same hitch and trailer. My Bigfoot had a gifted Casita jack that was 14 1/2" tall from deck to the top of the folded handle. I replaced the jack with a Ultra-Tow #44067 from Northern Tool that is 11" tall. Problem solved for $40.

http://www.northerntool.com/shop/too...1767_200631767
Old 10-11-2015, 07:39 AM   #18

Well, it's not as bad as boats, aka, "A hole in the water that you throw money into", but start-up $$$ for most projects will seem that way. Just don't let anyone start counting labor as a cost..... lol

But your idea of throwing "Trailer Showers" sounds like a great idea. I will be sure you get invited to mine.....

Old 10-11-2015, 07:51 AM   #19

Name: denny
Trailer: 2001 Scamp 16 layout 3
Michigan
Anyone towing Casita or Scamp with Chrysler/Dodge minivan?

Responces helpful but need to hear from someone towing a Casita 17 or any Scamp 13 or 16 trailer or someone who might know if the rear hatch can swing up to open despite hitch/tongue jack pole when hooked to these or similar trailers. I will be using an load equalizer hitch to reduce tongue weight.
denny w is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2015, 09:02 AM   #20

Name: Mon
Trailer: 13' 2008 Scamp...YAY!
Missouri
I have a 2008 Chrysler T&C and a 2008 13' Scamp. And, no.

Mon
monB is offline   Reply With Quote