window air conditioner location - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-25-2012, 09:11 PM   #1

Name: David
Trailer: 13 ft Casita 1985
Iowa
window air conditioner location

Hi all,

I have the old casita 13 foot that I want to put in an air conditioner but not sure that I want it permanent.

My original plan was to replace the bathroom window with a goucho type door that has a lock (that I have already purchased), and just open the door and put in a small window air conditioner for use when I need it.

I do not use the bathroom for anything other than storage and the toilet has been taken out so that is not an issue. I would need to leave the bathroom door open when using the a/c.

then I started looking at what others had done for a/c. I have seen them installed under the bench seat and in the closet just inside the door, this would require a vent so the a/c can work properly.

I have seen window a/c stuck into the rear window or side windows and do NOT want to do that.

any ideas will be helpfull.

at this time I am liking my original idea of replacing the bathroom window and using that.

thanks
camper407dm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2012, 09:18 PM   #2

Trailer: 2004 13 ft Scamp Custom Deluxe
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by camper407dm View Post
Hi all,

I have the old casita 13 foot that I want to put in an air conditioner but not sure that I want it permanent.

My original plan was to replace the bathroom window with a goucho type door that has a lock (that I have already purchased), and just open the door and put in a small window air conditioner for use when I need it.

I do not use the bathroom for anything other than storage and the toilet has been taken out so that is not an issue. I would need to leave the bathroom door open when using the a/c.

then I started looking at what others had done for a/c. I have seen them installed under the bench seat and in the closet just inside the door, this would require a vent so the a/c can work properly.

I have seen window a/c stuck into the rear window or side windows and do NOT want to do that.

any ideas will be helpfull.

at this time I am liking my original idea of replacing the bathroom window and using that.

thanks
Did you look at the Patriot factory location?

Here is an early Scamp factory location....
Attached Thumbnails
1978 Scamp 13 035.jpg  
floyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2012, 09:25 PM   #3

Name: Alice
Trailer: 2018 Casita SD - Kondo A-Go-Go
Utah
Registry
David,
I too have been scouring this site for info. There are quite a few threads on the subject. Do a search for A/C. The biggest problem isn't where to install the A/C, or how to do it. I've decided to put mine in the closet to the left of the door when entering. I"m stumped at how to formulate the air handling I/O. I've thought of going to a HVAC business and have them put together a little duct system after the unit is installed. Good luck.

KONDO A-GO-GO - I GO WHERE I'M TOWED
Wallo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2012, 09:35 PM   #4

Iowa
Floyd, thanks for the picture. I hadn't thought about that location and it would even have a big vent already in that corner; and I need to do a little bit of work on that seat anyway.

I like that the a/c would be permanent and not need to be installed every time that I needed it and it wouldn't be hanging out the end of the camper.

That area used to have the water storage but I have removed it and it would be open.

thanks I will have to explore this option more.

I knew that you'all would help
Old 04-25-2012, 10:33 PM   #5

Trailer: 2004 13 ft Scamp Custom Deluxe
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by camper407dm View Post
Floyd, thanks for the picture. I hadn't thought about that location and it would even have a big vent already in that corner; and I need to do a little bit of work on that seat anyway.

I like that the a/c would be permanent and not need to be installed every time that I needed it and it wouldn't be hanging out the end of the camper.

That area used to have the water storage but I have removed it and it would be open.

thanks I will have to explore this option more.

I knew that you'all would help
Here are some photos of the A/C during disassembly. The condenser was boxed in and the squirrel caged fan was used to force hot air out through the floor.
The vent on the outside wall was used to supply fresh air to the condenser.
There was also a small drain in the floor for condensation.
The front of the A/C was sealed to the bench.
I think a plenum with a floor hole could replace the squirrel cage arrangement??
Attached Thumbnails
1978 Scamp w-screen room 008.jpg   puzzles 001.jpg  

puzzles 004.jpg   1978 Scamp 13 025.jpg  

floyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2012, 11:36 PM   #6

Iowa
It looks to me like the factory installed a/c is in the closet floor with a vent that goes to the front of the camper to the right of the camper door??

is this correct??