Window Air Conditioners - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-30-2009, 10:14 AM   #1

Trailer: Fiber Stream 1978 / Honda Odyssey LX 2003
Registry
Send a message via AIM to Frederick L. Simson
Thumbs up

Click image for larger version

Name:	AC14.jpg
Views:	50
Size:	72.3 KB
ID:	20632

I have a window air conditioner that I put in the front window. I designed it to be a temporary installation and remove it for traveling, or I didn't install it during more temperate weather. The Fiber Stream's unique bulging rock guard will not close completely over the A/C when it is in the window. I must remove the air conditioner to get the rock guard to close.

This summer, we will be traveling from Portland, OR to Denver, CO and on to St. Louis, MO returning via OK, TX, NM, & AZ to CA. I expect it to be hot in July, and we'll need the A/C each night. I dread the prospect of installing and removing the A/C multiple times after long days behind the wheel.

I have the angle-aluminum side frames for the A/C screwed into the window frame at the top and bottom. It is quite secure, and last weekend, I removed the rock guard and towed the trailer home from Palm Springs to San Diego with the A/C in place in the window.

All 3 of the windows in the front on the Fiber Stream are the same size. I think that if I install the A/C in the Driver's Side window, it could ride in that window permanently, and I could re-install the rock guard on the front window. It would protrude 6" from the side of the trailer, and be right next to the TV/VCR inside that front corner.

Good idea? or Bad Idea?

Old 05-30-2009, 08:15 PM   #2

Trailer: 13 ft Scamp 1983 and 1972 Compact Jr (project)
Send a message via MSN to Larry&Carrie
Talking

Quote:
Attachment 20632

I have a window air conditioner .

Good idea? or Bad Idea?
Should work if you feel like it would be secure and it sounds like it is... Would be on the ditch side, correct? Ya just have to remember it is there and not go too close to rock walls... Larry
Larry&Carrie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2009, 10:48 PM   #3

Trailer: 2009 Escape 17 ft
Registry
You might consider how to protect the unit.
That bright orange Boler I saw last week had a permanent ac installed in the back window.
He had a nice cover made out of convertible car top material. It attached with those little chrome swivel fittings. Sorry - no pics
paulw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2009, 08:23 AM   #4

Trailer: 1982 Fiber Stream and 2001 Casita Spirit Deluxe (I'm down to 2!)
Fred

I have been outside pokin and proddin on my 'Stream in search of an idea.
I would not want the front window guard open while driving either and I absolutely would not want to remove it.

On mine the Kitchen window is by far the most sturdy of the bunch.

My front window and the area under it flexes very easily despite there being some additional bracing there for the standard table mount.

The side window you ask about is even worse on mine as there is nothing at all supporting the fiberglass above the level of the bench and the wall around the window is very bendy.
I could picture installing some kind of horizontal sill plate to give the AC more solid perch and prevennt the wall under it from flexing but this would stick into the bed area a little but could also make a nice nightstand of sorts.

The Kitchen window however is solid like a rock as the cabinet and Bathroom wall and the Divider on the other side help to frame it in and provide support.
On mine I can not even cause a deflection in the wall from the outside under this window.

There is also power there and it is the same size as the other windows too.

I imagine it would block your view a little and will stick inside the trailer where work is actually done but it feels MUCH more solid as a mounting surface if you will be leaving it in place.

I would also think it would be simple to make some kind of detachable leg to support the front of the AC inside over the bench if you really want it there. It could run from the front edge of the unit down to the bench for travel both supporting it and retaining it in the window as an added safety.

If the unit only sticks outside 6" as you say I wouldn't be too worried about it hitting things but it is another thing always in the back of your mind when towing.....and my mind is already crowded enough! I have certainly seen them mounted this way though and never heard of it being a problem. In fact I have also seen older units that sat almost entirely outside mounted this way without problems.

On another note,I never fail to be amazed every time I walk back inside the Fiberstream just how spacious it feels inside.
My Scamp is very cozy and new but the Fiberstream really does feel twice as big inside.

Have Fun
Ed
Ed Harris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2009, 11:01 AM   #5

Trailer: Fiber Stream 1978 / Honda Odyssey LX 2003
Registry
Send a message via AIM to Frederick L. Simson
Unhappy

Quote:
There is also power there and [b]it is the same size as the other windows too.
The 3 windows around the front room in my Fiber Stream are 48" x 18". The Kitchen window is only [b]40" x 18".
The A/C will not fit in the kitchen window by just sliding it open because the sliding pane is too narrow.
Old 05-31-2009, 11:14 AM   #6

Trailer: 1982 Fiber Stream and 2001 Casita Spirit Deluxe (I'm down to 2!)
Quote:
The 3 windows around the front room in my Fiber Stream are 48" x 18". The Kitchen window is only [b]40" x 18".
The A/C will not fit in the kitchen window by just sliding it open because the sliding pane is too narrow.
Doesn't it bug you being right all the time?

Mine is the same as yours but from my vantage point(without measuring) I thought otherwise.

Nevermind.

It is a shame though as the wall is so much stronger there.
Ed Harris is offline   Reply With Quote