Window and panel and parts conundrums - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-06-2018, 11:09 PM   #1

Name: Patrick
Trailer: Currently Shopping
Utah
Window and panel and parts conundrums

Hey All!

So I decided to keep my Amerigo Flamingo for a few months and I am running into two small problems right now.

The first is I need three of the outer window hinge frames to match the inner frames still on the trailer. As parts for Amerigo's are rare as chicken teeth, I'm having to opt in having some new ones made. I've tried looking up several name searches and all I am getting is house trim and Home Depot junk. Anyone know what kind of method it is called so I can look up local companies that do it? or even better, if anyone has any experience doing so and can recommend me, please? I'd rather not put in an immovable acrylic window when I can possibly get something else to work.

Name:   1973 <a title=Amerigo FG-16.jpg Views: 48 Size: 37.7 KB " style="margin: 2px" />

The second request is I'd like to find a panel something similar to how the original refrigerator cooling panel was. Again, I don't know what process it is called where they stab the vent holes or where I'd find them, but a point in the right direction is appreciated.

Name:   P1010073.jpg
Views: 47
Size:  21.5 KB

Once I get these taken care of, I'll be asking more on certain things. Thanks everyone for taking your time to help!

Cordially,
Patdeesky
Patdeesky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2018, 04:07 AM   #2

Name: Kelly
Trailer: Trails West
Oregon
You might need to send photos along with dimensions of that sidewall louvered vent to some of the RV scrap yards. I have not seen that size in any of the current RV parts supplies. However if you can't find one then there is a relatively simple option since you have an empty shell. That is to modify the opening to fit two of the smaller modern panels. This will mean adding a cross section of fiberglass between a lower and upper panel. Of course you may also have to modify the width of the opening as well.

A third option is to mount two smaller panels onto a larger aluminum sheet metal panel that is cut large enough to cover over the edges of the hole in your shell. If you don't think you can make the cuts needed for that then take the purchased vents and a drawing of the dimensions of the size for the large panel to a sheet metal fabrication shop and let them do the cutting for you.

Trying to custom fabricate the louvers into a piece of sheet metal is not a simple task and you won't have the equipment to do a decent job of it. Hiring the work out to have custom louvers put in is usually fairly expensive unless you have a friend with a sheet metal shop and the dies needed for the task. But just for furthering people's education of manufacturing methods of sheet metal here is a video showing how louvers are put into sheet metal.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?time_c...&v=-yXy0fDUX0M

For the windows, once again you will need a scrap yard where you most likely will end up with the inner and outer set of frames. No one is selling those 1970 frames as replacement parts.

Or you can look on ebay for new windows that might fit with some modification to your shell.
k corbin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2018, 12:22 AM   #3

Name: Patrick
Trailer: Currently Shopping
Utah
Quote:
Originally Posted by k corbin View Post
You might need to send photos along with dimensions of that sidewall louvered vent...
Thank you! Louvered vents. Haha I would have never guessed what those were called. Thank you again. That'll give me a chance to find something, possibly.

As for the windows, like I said, I'd like to try to keep it original if I can. There are several manufacturing factories of the sort near and in my city. I'd like to narrow the search, hence why I asked what kind of process it is called so I can search it.

Thank you for taking your time to answer my query.

Patdeesky
Patdeesky is offline   Reply With Quote