Window leaking between glass and screen - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-13-2013, 07:21 PM   #1

Name: Byron
Trailer: 73 Boler
Ontario
Window leaking between glass and screen

OK, here is the issue I got right now which sucks as I am camping tomorrow. I did a quick yet painfull seal around the windows with silicone and I know its not leaking there. the only other place I can think is between the glass and the screen as i have seen water puddle there. I have the old louvered style and really want to keep them, they just need work.
Old 06-13-2013, 07:41 PM   #2

Trailer: 1988 16 ft Scamp Deluxe
Oh my, I would have used a good quality of duct tape before I used silicone. But you know me, I think that Devil's Bane should be OUTLAWED if you're an all molded owner.

Can't really help with the problem, but want to say... Safe travels and have a great time camping
Donna D. is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2013, 08:28 PM   #3

Trailer: Scamp
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by B-Rock View Post
OK, here is the issue I got right now which sucks as I am camping tomorrow. I did a quick yet painfull seal around the windows with silicone and I know its not leaking there. the only other place I can think is between the glass and the screen as i have seen water puddle there. I have the old louvered style and really want to keep them, they just need work.
Is there "weep holes" in rubber outside bottom of the windows. If so run something like weed eater line through them to them out.
Old 06-13-2013, 10:45 PM   #4

Trailer: No Trailer Yet (want 13 ft fiber glass
Registry
You need to clean out the window drain holes. That worked for me.
Dave & Paula
David B. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2013, 05:06 AM   #5

Do Jalousie windows have drain holes? If you're looking to rebuild in the future, perhaps Dannyh's great thread here, with part numbers will help: http://www.fiberglassrv.com/forums/f...ows-41003.html
Old 06-15-2013, 08:54 PM   #6

Name: Linda
Trailer: '77 Scamp
California
Registry
Good question Donna. I have tilt out windows and wondering if they have drain holes. When I had a leak several months ago, folks on this forum suggested cleaning out the drain holes. I didn't find that I had any. Is that the case for others that have tiltouts?
Also Byron, I agree that rebuilding is the way to go. I just bought new glazing splines and gaskets for mine which were brittle and falling out. Just use the link above that Donna attached and search for other great threads that carefully explain the process. Just don't get discouraged.
Otters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2013, 09:19 PM   #7

Linda, did anyone provide you Jenny's excellent write up on the tilt out windows? http://www.fiberglassrv.com/forums/f...ows-42049.html
Old 06-15-2013, 09:25 PM   #8

Name: Linda
Trailer: '77 Scamp
California
Registry
Yes Donna. Its a great write up. I ordered the same gaskets and splines she used. Fortunately, the hardware on mine is all in tact and in good condition so I don't need to go through all the fabrication pains she went through.
Otters is offline   Reply With Quote