Window lip seal help - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-19-2013, 02:30 PM   #1

Name: Cubey
Trailer: 1978 Dodge Xplorer
Arkansas
Window lip seal help

I figure this forum is probably the best place to ask due to a lot of a lot of vintage trailer owners who may have similar windows.

My 78 Xplorer motorhome (fiberglass roof and rear end.. heh) is need of the bottom lip seals for the windows. You can see almost the entire window from the outside here (left side of the pic).

The center panes open outward (downward sloping) like most vintage RVs do. The bottom is supposed to have this seal (actual one I removed, the other end is badly damaged).

The bottom edge simply pushes down into the window frame channel and it stays in place. The upper edge sticking up is where the window closes against.
Cubey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2013, 05:23 PM   #2

Trailer: No Trailer Yet
Can you do a search using Google images? If you have the window manufacturer's name in the search terms it would help.
Old 07-19-2013, 05:57 PM   #3

Arkansas
Sadly, I have no idea who made the window. That's why I posted a photo showing it, in case anyone here recognizes it. I was told by a local RV shop that the brand names are hidden and that you have to remove windows to find it.

I have done a lot of searching and the closest I can find is some airstream seals but they aren't quite right.
Old 07-19-2013, 06:23 PM   #4

Trailer: No Trailer Yet
Did you search on Google images ? It is an easy way to scan hundreds of possibilities in a few minutes. You might find something similar enough to work even if it is not an exact replacement.
Old 07-19-2013, 06:56 PM   #5

Trailer: 1972 Boler American and 1979 Trillium 4500
Another picture of the seal cut a little further back where it is clean rubber laid across a ruler might help.
You could send a pic to these guys:
Window Gasket
Roy in TO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2013, 09:21 PM   #6

Arkansas
I hate to cut the somewhat good end. and too it's the exact length needed.

Yes, i did look on google images and on that VTS site.
Old 07-20-2013, 06:29 AM   #7

Trailer: 1972 Boler American and 1979 Trillium 4500
The mention of ruler was not for the length. Some clues might come from the width and height of the profile. Does the other end look any better?
Roy in TO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2013, 09:40 AM   #8

Arkansas
As I said, the other end is worse. I will measure it later.
Old 07-22-2013, 10:14 PM   #9

Trailer: 1988 16 ft Scamp Deluxe
You might look here to see if there's a molding that will work. You'll find the rubber molding about halfway down the page: Interstate RV Metal & Supply
Donna D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2013, 10:24 PM   #10

Arkansas
Thanks for the link but none of it looks like it'll work.

This looks awfully close... I wonder if that's what it looked like originally somewhat.

http://www.pellandent.com/Motorhome_...6855&Return=71
Old 07-24-2013, 06:29 AM   #11

Arkansas
Well, what I did days ago was take some RV grade black silicon (had it already from past outside window seal patches) and filled in the two holes in the frame that was leading to a sloping grade inside on the window frame.

I have NO idea why they were there... why would you want the water to drain INTO the van? Maybe it had plastic weep hole covers like I have seen for sale online for Hehr windows, which these may be. Anyhow, I covered the 2 small holes in the silicon and now there is no leaking. There are still drain holes facing down on the OUTSIDE of the window which does make sense.

While it doesn't seal the window itself from heating/cooling loss, it needs the new seals for that, it does stop water from coming in which was most important.

I also sent an email to Hehr with photos and asking if they can identify the window model, if it's one of their old products and about the seal itself.