Window rain louvres - Page 2 - Fiberglass RV
Free 7 Day Trial RV GPS App RV Trip Planner Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-26-2019, 06:53 PM   #21

Name: Eileen
Trailer: 2015 Casita SD 17
Florida
I have been trying to get these louvers for our Casita. Tried to get a few 3D owners to make a bunch, but they said not cost effective.
I even pitched the Weather Tech (floor mats for cars/trucks) company. Not interested. I don't think they realized how many customers would be anxious to buy.
I always try and stop at older shops and RV graveyards to find even one. No luck yet.
global2edg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2019, 12:12 AM   #22

Name: Fredrick
Trailer: Escape 21C
Tennessee
Cool contacted

K Corbin, I e-mailed yr buddy....we'll see what develops. The thing I designed is simple & needs no glue or screws or tape..we'll see .
Fred762 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2019, 09:34 AM   #23

Name: Alan
Trailer: 2010 Little Joe / 2010 2 Dr Jeep Wrangler
Colorado
Man if this works out
Count me in as a customer
alan H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2019, 01:56 PM   #24

Name: Kelly
Trailer: Trails West
Oregon
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fred762 View Post
K Corbin, I e-mailed yr buddy....we'll see what develops. The thing I designed is simple & needs no glue or screws or tape..we'll see .
I let him know to expect an email.
k corbin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2019, 10:51 AM   #25

Name: Lisle
Trailer: 2018 Casita Spirit Deiuxe
Massachusetts
Registry
To Floyd: The folks in Elkhart IN were very nice and went looking for those louvres. Didn't find them. I guess the next best thing is to get the rain cover for the Maxx Fan. At least then there is some ventilation when it's hot and muggy and also raining.

If anyone does figure out how to get those louvres made, please post here, so we can all get some!
Lisle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2019, 11:33 AM   #26

Name: Floyd
Trailer: 2004 13 ft Scamp Custom Deluxe
IllAnnoy
Registry
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lisle View Post
To Floyd: The folks in Elkhart IN were very nice and went looking for those louvres. Didn't find them. I guess the next best thing is to get the rain cover for the Maxx Fan. At least then there is some ventilation when it's hot and muggy and also raining.

If anyone does figure out how to get those louvres made, please post here, so we can all get some!
Sorry, but I guess congrats to whomever got them!
floyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2019, 12:33 PM   #27

Name: Anthony
Trailer: 17 ft Spirit Deluxe Casita
Anywhere my Casita is at is home I full-time it
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lisle View Post
I saw a 2002 Casita with louvres installed in the windows to deflect rain. Each louvre was about 3" wide and vertical, attached at the beginning of the window opening. The owner said he could leave his windows open that far even in a thunderstorm, and not get rain inside the camper. Have been trying to find something like this for the two windows over the bed. The louvre was plastic and not transparent, but what a great idea to be able to have air flow in the rain! Can't find anything like this by Googling. Any idea where to find such a thing?

Or maybe everyone just uses their Fantastic Fan to get ventilation in the rain?
Those are actually made for a larger motor home and you have to cut them down to fit they don't make them anymore you can't get them you can't find them I tried myself and I was in the RV business for 30 years unless somebody's doing them now after market I haven't been able to find any at all you could buy them for the big motor home when this but you had to cut them down to
Fit the Casitas
Anthonysherwood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2019, 09:06 PM   #28

Oregon
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike255 View Post
I have 2 ideas. Look at Home Depot or Lowes for a house gable vent and figure out if you can modify it. Or if you know of someone with a 3D printer they could make you one (or more)
It is a fairly difficult shape to make with a 3D printer. The other issue with a 3D printed part is making the plastic itself watertight. Because it is printed with very small strands of plastic that have to bond together there tends to be a lot of very small voids in the surface of the finished material.

I have access to a 3D printer but it does not have a large enough build plate to make a one piece louver for the window of a travel trailer. There is one large enough at the Maker space in Everett, WA that is close to the big Boeing factory. You have to be a member to use it but it is too far away with travel time and way too much traffic to get there often enough for me to want to join.
Old 08-31-2019, 09:18 PM   #29

Name: Denise
Trailer: Trillium 1300
British Columbia
Louvres

My 1974 Trillium of course has full louvred windows and IMO the switch to slide windows is one of the great tragedies of trailer evolution. Slide windows not only let the rain in (soaking the bedding if one is not vigilant!) and there is no comparison between the ventilation efficiency - louvres are much superior! I’ve long wondered why louvred windows have gone the way of the dodo?

Denise
1974 Trillium
Denise T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2019, 09:27 PM   #30

Name: Donna D
Trailer: Escape 5.0 TA, 2014
Oregon
Quote:
Originally Posted by Denise T View Post
Iíve long wondered why louvred windows have gone the way of the dodo?
Scamp is installing a single pane modified crank out.
Click image for larger version

Name:	~Capture.JPG
Views:	9
Size:	20.2 KB
ID:	131345

Escape (as an option) is installing dual-pane awning-style windows.
Click image for larger version

Name:	~Capture1.JPG
Views:	12
Size:	63.5 KB
ID:	131346

Both provide ventilation when it rains. And as far as I know, they're the only two manufacturers offering something other than sliders.
Donna D. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2019, 09:31 PM   #31

Name: Sammy Joe
Trailer: Planning stage
Florida
Food for thought. Look at the automobile sunroof vent covers
Sammy Joe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2019, 11:09 PM   #32

Name: Fredrick
Trailer: Escape 21C
Tennessee
Unhappy louvers??

Still looking for the plans I did up last year for the new louver design. IF I can find them, I will try again to get some demos made. I have cleaned out my garage and shop since then and dang if I can find anything now ;-)

WE sold our Casita and ordered the Escape-21 with the flip-out window option partly bks we hate slider windows.
Fred762 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2019, 11:32 PM   #33
Commercial Member

Name: Charlie Y
Trailer: Escape 21 - Felicity
Oregon
I've worked with plastics for decades. An injection mold for a simple design product like a shelf that measures less than a cubic foot will be $12-$14K. Something as big as the window louvers and that complex would probably be upwards of $20K per part, and there were two different parts for each window.

Then there is the cost of trimming the scrap off the parts, inspection, packaging, marketing, etc.

Those are a few reasons nobody makes these things anymore. I tried to buy the original molds from the company that bought the maker, but they just scrapped them.

Don't drill holes, try custom storage you design: https://RVWidgetWorks.com
tractors1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2019, 10:31 PM   #34

Trailer: 1986 Boler 1300 Voyager
Registry
Nice solution
Markz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2019, 08:12 PM   #35

Name: Dave & Paula Brown
Trailer: Lil Snoozy
Arizona
Registry
Today at the Algonac Michigan Rally what you were looking for (still in the box) went for $20.00 at the swap table.
Dave & Paula
David B. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2019, 11:49 PM   #36

Oregon
If you are good with tools and/or can work with a metal fabrication shop you might be able to create an overlay, top hinged panel that can be opened for ventilation. You would open the slider, push out the panel with an arm, close a screen across the opening. Bonus points you have a double paned window for the winter time.

It is a lot of work to design and fabricate such things but not impossible.