Window repair for Burro - Fiberglass RV
Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 02-13-2017, 12:01 PM   #1

Name: Billy Sharpstick
Trailer: Scamp 13 - 2005
Florida
Registry
Window repair for Burro

The large window in the rear slides open, but leaks into the dinette area. The two side windows do not slide open, feels like they are glued shut. There is some silicone on one that might cause that. One window has some hairline cracks and the two side sliding panes have cracked and broken corners.
Are there any sources for replacement gasket materials, or possibly entire windows if there is a standard size? (The exterior frame dimensions are about 57 x 23 and 37 x 19 inches)
How pricey is it to have professional window repair? And who could do that, RV shops or window companies?
sharpstick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2017, 06:41 PM   #2

Name: Gary
Trailer: UHaul CT13
Iowa
Billy,
I don't know if Burro's windows are the same as the U-Haul's... seems like a lot of their equipment is similar. There's a side-window-rebuilding file in the U-Haul document center that deals with that:
http://www.fiberglassrv.com/forums/d...ul_Windows.pdf

And, Burro owners are welcome on the U-Haul FaceBook page, which has had inummerable discussions on window rebuilding. The FB page also has documents like the one I cited above.

Seems like leaks on the front or back glasses often come down to either replacing the butyl calk between window frame and body, or fussing over clearing the weep-holes fanatically. [I haven't done either myself, as I'm still repairing the body on mine.........no window work started yet.]

Best of luck!
Gary
Old 02-13-2017, 07:04 PM   #3

Name: Billy Sharpstick
Trailer: Scamp 13 - 2005
Florida
Registry

page not found
Quote:
Originally Posted by groys02 View Post
Billy,
. . . There's a side-window-rebuilding file in the U-Haul document center that deals with that:
http://www.fiberglassrv.com/forums/d...ul_Windows.pdf
. . . [/COLOR][/I]]

Best of luck!
Gary
sharpstick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2017, 07:26 PM   #4

Name: Gary
Trailer: UHaul CT13
Iowa
Hmmmmmmmmmm...

Well, I found it by going to "More" tab near top of page.... then selected "Document Center"..... then, at the bottom of the page that popped up, selected "U-Haul".

Sorry the link didn't work..... I'm only semi-computer-literate.....
Old 02-13-2017, 09:16 PM   #5

Name: bob
Trailer: 1996 Casita 17 Spirit Deluxe; 1946 Modernistic teardrop
New York
I believe Burro used a clamp ring type side window as opposed to Uhaul windows mounted in that rubber weatherstrip. There is a Burro in the campground we are at in GA I could look at. You can get new window channel, the part the window slides in. If you remove the windows, use butyl tape under the flange when you put the window back in. Check the weep holes at the bottom of the outside window frame, they can get plugged causing water to pool up in the channel and leak in. Clean them out with weed eater string or similar. You may have to do a search to find replacement windows. Custom made will be expensive, $200 each on up. Burro probably used a standard production window so you may get lucky. A burro owner will have better info I'm sure
mary and bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2017, 11:41 AM   #6

Name: Cory
Trailer: Burro
Tennessee
Window Quote & Parts

I am working on a Burro restoration right now. I have a thread started here ..http://www.fiberglassrv.com/forums/f...mod-76730.html

In this thread there is a quote for $1900 for replacement windows (they are custom).

I have decided to restore mine. I just ordered all the seals and parts to do a complete window overhaul on the door window. I did a dry fit last night. I think they all will work. I was planning to post a listing of all the parts if everything works out. It maybe a week or so.

As mentioned below ... The most likely problem is your drain holes on the bottom of the window. Be sure to check them.

Good luck.
Scoboatn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2021, 12:43 AM   #7

Name: Chase
Trailer: Burro
Colorado
Folllow up?
Ctuck95 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2021, 08:54 AM   #8

Name: Penny
Trailer: Burro 13’
Colorado
I also have a Burro but the plexiglass keeps breaking while towing, probably from rocks. I’ve replaced 3 times & it’s terrible while on the road & in the rain! Is there something I can have made that will cover window while traveling like I see on some of the other fg campers? All ideas welcome.
LuckyPenny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2021, 12:49 PM   #9

Trailer: U-Haul VT
Quote:
Originally Posted by LuckyPenny View Post
I also have a Burro but the plexiglass keeps breaking while towing, probably from rocks. I’ve replaced 3 times & it’s terrible while on the road & in the rain! Is there something I can have made that will cover window while traveling like I see on some of the other fg campers? All ideas welcome.

Try using Lexan it is significantly more impact resistant and also more costly.
Mike Meyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2021, 02:41 PM   #10

Name: Penny
Trailer: Burro 13’
Colorado
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Meyer View Post
Try using Lexan it is significantly more impact resistant and also more costly.
thanks for the possible solution. Has anyone fashioned a cover that protects front window & how?
LuckyPenny is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
burro